Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

ESPN announced the first round matchups for the Myrtle Beach classic... we get the cowbells

First-round matchups:

Villanova vs. Middle Tennessee
Mississippi State vs. Tulane
Ohio vs. Baylor
Utah vs. Coastal Carolina

Team to beat: Villanova. Since 2014, Jay Wright has averaged nearly 32 wins a year, and the upcoming season should help maintain that average with three returning starters and an elite recruiting class led by five-star prospects Jeremiah Robinson-Earl and Bryan Antoine.

Sleeper team: Baylor. Scott Drew hasn't received enough credit for fighting through injuries last season to win 20 games. This year, he has another winning group with Tristan Clark, who missed the bulk of the season with knee injury, and two other double-figure scorers returning.

Player to watch: Antoine is a fabulous, 6-foot-5 guard who could be in next in line to go pro after a stint with Wright, but he's currently in rehab to address a shoulder injury he suffered earlier this year that could impact the start of his freshman season.

Something for the college hoops junkies: We don't talk about Villanova the way we talk about Duke, Kentucky and Kansas, but you could make the case that the Wildcats are the true kings of college basketball right now and they're always fun to watch. --

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:11 am 
Navigator Level

Couldn't agree more about the Wildcats. I spent 3+ years in the medical dept of McNeil Labs in the Philly area in the late 60's. A friend of mine had season tx for all the Nova games in the Pit and took me to as many as I was able to be available for. I've remained a fan of the Cats and Big Five teams. Very memorable experiences.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:20 am 
Emerald Circle

StPeteWave wrote:
Couldn't agree more about the Wildcats. I spent 3+ years in the medical dept of McNeil Labs in the Philly area in the late 60's. A friend of mine had season tx for all the Nova games in the Pit and took me to as many as I was able to be available for. I've remained a fan of the Cats and Big Five teams. Very memorable experiences.

Yup, Philly remains a hotbed of college hoops. I’ve been married to a Philly girl since 1982 and have either traveled there, or now owned a place there, ever since. The Big 5 (+1 at times) is epic. Over the past decades it hasn’t always just been one team reigning supreme. At times it’s been Temple, Penn, St. Joseph’s, and Villanova. Some say it’s about time LaSalle and even Drexel have a run. The inter city rivalries are intense and the Palestra is a college hoops Mecca if there ever was one.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:49 pm 
Regent's Circle

it's too bad ESPN doesn't give 2 sheets about Tulane, but it would have been nice to see a comment about Caleb Daniels and him having to watch his old team with more talent than when he was here and a better coach.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
it's too bad ESPN doesn't give 2 sheets about Tulane, but it would have been nice to see a comment about Caleb Daniels and him having to watch his old team with more talent than when he was here and a better coach.

Well, they did push the “Mike Dunleavy is building something” story until a 4 win season got in the way. Now it’s on Coach Hunter and this new roster to make a splash where it counts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:00 am 
Regent's Circle

while we wait for the rain, perhaps in a few months we can update the title of this thread to "game 2-v Villanova"? I'd rather look forward to that than MTU. We'll see what Hunter can do with his new roster.