Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:05 pm 
President's Circle

Not only was Jones the best player on the field but he made a little boys day. The entire fourth quarter my friend’s 8 year old son asked if we could meet some players after the game. We tried to come up with an excuse in case we couldn’t find anybody. After the game Jones saw him, gave him a high five and told him to study hard and chase his dreams. The entire ride home the boy couldn’t stop talking about his new favorite player.

I could not have been prouder to be a Tulane grad today. The win was great and knowing we have some class act makes it even sweeter.

Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

That's awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:18 pm 
Emerald Circle

Excellent. Your son will be able to say he knew him when.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 pm 
Emerald Circle

Thank you for sharing that

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:09 pm 
Regent's Circle

We all saw today what jones did today with about twenty touches. What would he do next year with say a nice low seventy or so? :green wink:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:14 pm 
Regent's Circle

NJwave wrote:
Not only was Jones the best player on the field but he made a little boys day. The entire fourth quarter my friend’s 8 year old son asked if we could meet some players after the game. We tried to come up with an excuse in case we couldn’t find anybody. After the game Jones saw him, gave him a high five and told him to study hard and chase his dreams. The entire ride home the boy couldn’t stop talking about his new favorite player.

I could not have been prouder to be a Tulane grad today. The win was great and knowing we have some class act makes it even sweeter.

Super Nice ending for him today !!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:22 am 
Navigator Level

NJwave wrote:

Great to hear. Jones is one of the best we've had in along time. Next year should be interesting with the addition of Spear.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:45 pm 
Regent's Circle

StPeteWave wrote:
NJwave wrote:

Great to hear. Jones is one of the best we've had in along time. Next year should be interesting with the addition of Spear.

Since Hilliard? Or Dauphine?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:22 pm 
Navigator Level

Thanks for passing that great story on for us all to enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:18 pm 
Coach Level

I just talked to a neighbor who was a stud player for Army back in the 60's. He and his wife went to the Tulane game. He says that he never wants to hear the name Amare Jones again. Spoiled his homecoming.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:28 pm 
Emerald Circle

Cheerleader wrote:
I just talked to a neighbor who was a stud player for Army back in the 60's. He and his wife went to the Tulane game. He says that he never wants to hear the name Amare Jones again. Spoiled his homecoming.

Isn’t it nice to spoil someone else’s homecoming for a change?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:29 pm 
Regent's Circle

I picked Amare up in my college fantasy league and will most likely start him Saturday even though he plays a half at most

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

remember when it wasn't so long ago (Teevens?) when schools would wait to do Homecoming until a date when we were available.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 pm 
Navigator Level

Tulane has been to more Homecomings than any other D1 program. :jerry:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:15 pm 
Navigator Level

Cheerleader wrote:

I get it but Tulane still wins without Amare Jones.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:48 pm 
Coach Level

Probably, but they said every time they looked up, Armare was making a big play. He is the one who stuck in their mind. Like number 28 for Auburn against us.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 pm 
Regent's Circle

Cheerleader wrote:
Probably, but they said every time they looked up, Armare was making a big play. He is the one who stuck in their mind. Like number 28 for Auburn against us.

Not quite. Whitlow fumbled three times against Tulane losing two of them. He was literally productive for both teams.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 am 
Coach Level

Yes, there is that, but I was at the game and it seemed every time Auburn needed some yards or a score, Whitlow did it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:31 am 
Regent's Circle

Cheerleader wrote:
Yes, there is that, but I was at the game and it seemed every time Auburn needed some yards or a score, Whitlow did it.

As was I. Whitlow was not effective until the second half when they started running him out of the wildcat. After the third fumble he was benched.

Whitlow is a good player and another example of Fritz as a fantastic evaluator of talent and solid recruiter. As we all know he only flipped to his neighborhood team, Auburn, at the last day. Maybe it's simply a coincidence but because of the "exhibition," he conducted in announcing his Auburn commitment, I suspect the Tulane defense treated him as a human piñata causing his very inconsistent performance and the three fumbles. Talented guy. He would have excelled at Tulane under Fritz as he is playing well at Auburn. He was simply held accountable on the field by Tulane in a way he never expected when he put on his recruiting "show" several years ago. Karma is a b!tch.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:06 am 
Crest Level

The Army fans in my section at the game also singled out Jones as the guy that was killing them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am 
Navigator Level

One more post and I will "let it go" as some have posted:

Without Amare - if we line up 100 times we win 99 of the games last Sat against Army.
Our team was ready and physically whipped Army's ass. Just ask Monken.
Too many players, too much MO, too much belief in the system, play calling was too good.
If we would have had Jeffrey Johnson and Alfred Thomas healthy Army doesn't rush for 100 yards.

Your Army stud buddy should have instead talked about the 5 TU RBs he saw who EACH were better than the best Army RB.
He should be very very happy Army was given 14 points and that we called off the dogs. TU could have won by 40+.

OK - I'm over it and forgive the Army dude for liking my favorite TU offensive player.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:49 am 
Coach Level

Baywave1 wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:

As was I. Whitlow was not effective until the second half when they started running him out of the wildcat. After the third fumble he was benched.

Whitlow is a good player and another example of Fritz as a fantastic evaluator of talent and solid recruiter. As we all know he only flipped to his neighborhood team, Auburn, at the last day. Maybe it's simply a coincidence but because of the "exhibition," he conducted in announcing his Auburn commitment, I suspect the Tulane defense treated him as a human piñata causing his very inconsistent performance and the three fumbles. Talented guy. He would have excelled at Tulane under Fritz as he is playing well at Auburn. He was simply held accountable on the field by Tulane in a way he never expected when he put on his recruiting "show" several years ago. Karma is a b!tch.

I guess I had forgotten that he was recruited by Tulane. I'm not disagreeing with anything that has been said about him. I was trying to figure out who was effective for Auburn, since it really wasn't Nix, and Whitlow had a great second half. I agree that Tulane would have won without Jones, but it really was special to see him operate. I am looking forward to the next two years with him. He will become a super star, I think.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:56 am 
Regent's Circle

Cheerleader wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:

I guess I had forgotten that he was recruited by Tulane. I'm not disagreeing with anything that has been said about him. I was trying to figure out who was effective for Auburn, since it really wasn't Nix, and Whitlow had a great second half. I agree that Tulane would have won without Jones, but it really was special to see him operate. I am looking forward to the next two years with him. He will become a super star, I think.

There was a whole thing because during his signing ceremony he actually picked up the Tulane hat and threw it away and pulled an Auburn hat out of hiding.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:26 am 
Coach Level

As far as I'm concerned, we can keep talking about Amare. I've had a dozen people ask me about him this week. He had an outstanding game, as did many others, but the kid did it all Saturday. He was in beast mode!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 am 
Cornerstone

I’m hoping this is the week he takes a kick to the house.