Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:05 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4714
Not only was Jones the best player on the field but he made a little boys day. The entire fourth quarter my friend’s 8 year old son asked if we could meet some players after the game. We tried to come up with an excuse in case we couldn’t find anybody. After the game Jones saw him, gave him a high five and told him to study hard and chase his dreams. The entire ride home the boy couldn’t stop talking about his new favorite player.

I could not have been prouder to be a Tulane grad today. The win was great and knowing we have some class act makes it even sweeter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:06 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 21219
Location: Chicago
That's awesome.

_________________
Using big words is not a personal attack


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:18 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19486
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Excellent. Your son will be able to say he knew him when.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:53 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20797
Location: New Orleans
Thank you for sharing that

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:09 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6851
We all saw today what jones did today with about twenty touches. What would he do next year with say a nice low seventy or so? :green wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:14 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:32 am
Posts: 7281
Location: Wisconsin
NJwave wrote:
Not only was Jones the best player on the field but he made a little boys day. The entire fourth quarter my friend’s 8 year old son asked if we could meet some players after the game. We tried to come up with an excuse in case we couldn’t find anybody. After the game Jones saw him, gave him a high five and told him to study hard and chase his dreams. The entire ride home the boy couldn’t stop talking about his new favorite player.

I could not have been prouder to be a Tulane grad today. The win was great and knowing we have some class act makes it even sweeter.

Super Nice ending for him today !!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:22 am 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:43 pm
Posts: 722
NJwave wrote:
Not only was Jones the best player on the field but he made a little boys day. The entire fourth quarter my friend’s 8 year old son asked if we could meet some players after the game. We tried to come up with an excuse in case we couldn’t find anybody. After the game Jones saw him, gave him a high five and told him to study hard and chase his dreams. The entire ride home the boy couldn’t stop talking about his new favorite player.

I could not have been prouder to be a Tulane grad today. The win was great and knowing we have some class act makes it even sweeter.


Great to hear. Jones is one of the best we've had in along time. Next year should be interesting with the addition of Spear.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:45 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6425
Location: Wichita
StPeteWave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
Not only was Jones the best player on the field but he made a little boys day. The entire fourth quarter my friend’s 8 year old son asked if we could meet some players after the game. We tried to come up with an excuse in case we couldn’t find anybody. After the game Jones saw him, gave him a high five and told him to study hard and chase his dreams. The entire ride home the boy couldn’t stop talking about his new favorite player.

I could not have been prouder to be a Tulane grad today. The win was great and knowing we have some class act makes it even sweeter.


Great to hear. Jones is one of the best we've had in along time. Next year should be interesting with the addition of Spear.

Since Hilliard? Or Dauphine?

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:22 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 3:50 pm
Posts: 1334
Location: Seattle U.S.A.
Thanks for passing that great story on for us all to enjoy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:18 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 2016
I just talked to a neighbor who was a stud player for Army back in the 60's. He and his wife went to the Tulane game. He says that he never wants to hear the name Amare Jones again. Spoiled his homecoming.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:28 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19486
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Cheerleader wrote:
I just talked to a neighbor who was a stud player for Army back in the 60's. He and his wife went to the Tulane game. He says that he never wants to hear the name Amare Jones again. Spoiled his homecoming.

Isn’t it nice to spoil someone else’s homecoming for a change?

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:29 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 8057
Location: Charlotte
I picked Amare up in my college fantasy league and will most likely start him Saturday even though he plays a half at most

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:45 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20797
Location: New Orleans
remember when it wasn't so long ago (Teevens?) when schools would wait to do Homecoming until a date when we were available.

_________________
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:53 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:29 pm
Posts: 1351
Tulane has been to more Homecomings than any other D1 program. :jerry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:15 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:06 am
Posts: 1080
Location: River Ridge
Cheerleader wrote:
I just talked to a neighbor who was a stud player for Army back in the 60's. He and his wife went to the Tulane game. He says that he never wants to hear the name Amare Jones again. Spoiled his homecoming.


I get it but Tulane still wins without Amare Jones.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:48 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 2016
Probably, but they said every time they looked up, Armare was making a big play. He is the one who stuck in their mind. Like number 28 for Auburn against us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:15 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6851
Cheerleader wrote:
Probably, but they said every time they looked up, Armare was making a big play. He is the one who stuck in their mind. Like number 28 for Auburn against us.


Not quite. Whitlow fumbled three times against Tulane losing two of them. He was literally productive for both teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 2016
Yes, there is that, but I was at the game and it seemed every time Auburn needed some yards or a score, Whitlow did it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:31 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6851
Cheerleader wrote:
Yes, there is that, but I was at the game and it seemed every time Auburn needed some yards or a score, Whitlow did it.


As was I. Whitlow was not effective until the second half when they started running him out of the wildcat. After the third fumble he was benched.

Whitlow is a good player and another example of Fritz as a fantastic evaluator of talent and solid recruiter. As we all know he only flipped to his neighborhood team, Auburn, at the last day. Maybe it's simply a coincidence but because of the "exhibition," he conducted in announcing his Auburn commitment, I suspect the Tulane defense treated him as a human piñata causing his very inconsistent performance and the three fumbles. Talented guy. He would have excelled at Tulane under Fritz as he is playing well at Auburn. He was simply held accountable on the field by Tulane in a way he never expected when he put on his recruiting "show" several years ago. Karma is a b!tch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:06 am 
Offline
Crest Level

Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:09 am
Posts: 111
Location: Boston, MA
The Army fans in my section at the game also singled out Jones as the guy that was killing them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 am 
Offline
Navigator Level

Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:06 am
Posts: 1080
Location: River Ridge
One more post and I will "let it go" as some have posted:

Without Amare - if we line up 100 times we win 99 of the games last Sat against Army.
Our team was ready and physically whipped Army's ass. Just ask Monken.
Too many players, too much MO, too much belief in the system, play calling was too good.
If we would have had Jeffrey Johnson and Alfred Thomas healthy Army doesn't rush for 100 yards.

Your Army stud buddy should have instead talked about the 5 TU RBs he saw who EACH were better than the best Army RB.
He should be very very happy Army was given 14 points and that we called off the dogs. TU could have won by 40+.

OK - I'm over it and forgive the Army dude for liking my favorite TU offensive player.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:49 am 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:22 am
Posts: 2016
Baywave1 wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:
Yes, there is that, but I was at the game and it seemed every time Auburn needed some yards or a score, Whitlow did it.


As was I. Whitlow was not effective until the second half when they started running him out of the wildcat. After the third fumble he was benched.

Whitlow is a good player and another example of Fritz as a fantastic evaluator of talent and solid recruiter. As we all know he only flipped to his neighborhood team, Auburn, at the last day. Maybe it's simply a coincidence but because of the "exhibition," he conducted in announcing his Auburn commitment, I suspect the Tulane defense treated him as a human piñata causing his very inconsistent performance and the three fumbles. Talented guy. He would have excelled at Tulane under Fritz as he is playing well at Auburn. He was simply held accountable on the field by Tulane in a way he never expected when he put on his recruiting "show" several years ago. Karma is a b!tch.


I guess I had forgotten that he was recruited by Tulane. I'm not disagreeing with anything that has been said about him. I was trying to figure out who was effective for Auburn, since it really wasn't Nix, and Whitlow had a great second half. I agree that Tulane would have won without Jones, but it really was special to see him operate. I am looking forward to the next two years with him. He will become a super star, I think.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:56 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6425
Location: Wichita
Cheerleader wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:
Yes, there is that, but I was at the game and it seemed every time Auburn needed some yards or a score, Whitlow did it.


As was I. Whitlow was not effective until the second half when they started running him out of the wildcat. After the third fumble he was benched.

Whitlow is a good player and another example of Fritz as a fantastic evaluator of talent and solid recruiter. As we all know he only flipped to his neighborhood team, Auburn, at the last day. Maybe it's simply a coincidence but because of the "exhibition," he conducted in announcing his Auburn commitment, I suspect the Tulane defense treated him as a human piñata causing his very inconsistent performance and the three fumbles. Talented guy. He would have excelled at Tulane under Fritz as he is playing well at Auburn. He was simply held accountable on the field by Tulane in a way he never expected when he put on his recruiting "show" several years ago. Karma is a b!tch.


I guess I had forgotten that he was recruited by Tulane. I'm not disagreeing with anything that has been said about him. I was trying to figure out who was effective for Auburn, since it really wasn't Nix, and Whitlow had a great second half. I agree that Tulane would have won without Jones, but it really was special to see him operate. I am looking forward to the next two years with him. He will become a super star, I think.

There was a whole thing because during his signing ceremony he actually picked up the Tulane hat and threw it away and pulled an Auburn hat out of hiding.

_________________
#stopbunting
#stopPUNTING!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:26 am 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 1898
Location: Pass Christian, MS
As far as I'm concerned, we can keep talking about Amare. I've had a dozen people ask me about him this week. He had an outstanding game, as did many others, but the kid did it all Saturday. He was in beast mode!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Amare Jones
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 am 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 25775
Location: New Orleans
I’m hoping this is the week he takes a kick to the house.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group