Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:56 am 
President's Circle

J. Rothstein tweets this a.m. that Tulane and Washington will open the 2020-21 hoops season vs. each other in China in a neutral site regular season game. This will be the second time Washington has played in this PAC-12 global game, having done so in the inaugural such event back in 2015. Six Pac-12 teams have taken part in the international showcase.

Last edited by randymc on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:18 am 
Emerald Circle

Now we know why TD has been there all week. Might be a way to throw a bone to Zahng who gets to play at home. Seeing the success the NBA has had over there, maybe college basketball is going to try tapping into that market.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:10 pm 
President's Circle

waverider wrote:
Now we know why TD has been there all week. Might be a way to throw a bone to Zahng who gets to play at home. Seeing the success the NBA has had over there, maybe college basketball is going to try tapping into that market.

That market isn't worth the trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

Agree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:20 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
waverider wrote:

No doubt now, but it and India are the world’s largest potential markets in the future. Whether that future is now or a generation from now, it’s going to happen. Right now China has a middle class larger than the entire population of the United States.

For now it’s a cool trip to a sparkling new city with three times the population of New York City.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

Somehow playing in front of autocratic dictators who are not our friends never appealed to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:25 pm 
President's Circle

TUPF wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
waverider wrote:

No doubt now, but it and India are the world’s largest potential markets in the future. Whether that future is now or a generation from now, it’s going to happen. Right now China has a middle class larger than the entire population of the United States.

For now it’s a cool trip to a sparkling new city with three times the population of New York City.

Nothing wrong with it leisure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:25 pm 
Regent's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
Somehow playing in front of autocratic dictators who are not our friends never appealed to me.

We're playing in North Korea?!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

We've read that Zhang has a following back home in China of well-wishers and fans, because of his parents. Also this past summer, I believe Walker did a combination basketball/mission trip tour over there as well.

Regardless of the politics, a trip like that looks really good to recruits. Hunter can tell a kid right now that if they sign with us, they'll get a trip to China in the Fall.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:40 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

This reminds me of the Rocky IV movie where the Dolph Ludgren character is a machine boxing in front of the geriatric Politburo. :razz:

I’ve been to Beijing multiple times on business, along with Shenzhen to meet with the now infamous Huawei. It was not at all what I expected. I’d call it rampant capitalism despite the Communist overlords/boogeymen we are taught. Maybe because the Cultural Revolution wiped out a generation who would now all be CEO age, what’s left is a bunch of 20-40 something business folk who would be at home in Silicon Valley. It’s not at all what I expected.

As the old guys in China age out, their government is not going to want to kill its economic engine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:49 pm 
Emerald Circle

Tell that to the citizens of Hong Kong. They might disagree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:57 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
True. That’s an especially weird place because of its hybrid history with British colonial rule. I would not want to be there now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:17 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
We've read that Zhang has a following back home in China of well-wishers and fans, because of his parents. Also this past summer, I believe Walker did a combination basketball/mission trip tour over there as well.

Regardless of the politics, a trip like that looks really good to recruits. Hunter can tell a kid right now that if they sign with us, they'll get a trip to China in the Fall.

All good points.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm 
President's Circle

Looking forward myself to a really solid RPI early season match-up with a Huskies team that will be capable of being an NCAA tourney team and one that could make a run once in the field.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:50 pm 
President's Circle

TUPF wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

This reminds me of the Rocky IV movie where the Dolph Ludgren character is a machine boxing in front of the geriatric Politburo. :razz:

I’ve been to Beijing multiple times on business, along with Shenzhen to meet with the now infamous Huawei. It was not at all what I expected. I’d call it rampant capitalism despite the Communist overlords/boogeymen we are taught. Maybe because the Cultural Revolution wiped out a generation who would now all be CEO age, what’s left is a bunch of 20-40 something business folk who would be at home in Silicon Valley. It’s not at all what I expected.

As the old guys in China age out, their government is not going to want to kill its economic engine.

The best way to look at China from 1000ft up is to compare them to 17th-19th century European Mercantilism. All the major corporations in China exist at the permission of the Communist Party of China(loosely similar to charters given by kings). The CPC steps in for whenever they want for whatever reason they want. Markets are lucrative, but not free. Importantly there are also no real limitations of the CPC authority or and little to no due process. This means any businesses are practically limbs of the CPC that can be controlled, altered, or amputated at any moment. They are also diversified enough were single industries can't become more powerful than the CPC like you would see in a smaller country. The problem with entering the markets in China is it is highly risky, aside from the blatant disregard for patents and copyrights is you have to pay tariffs and the de facto payoff to the CPC for a market share, and then pay for your normal business expenses while knowing at any moment the CPC can criminalize basic market activities. Just recently China criminalized minors playing video games between 10:00pm and 8:00am while also limiting their amount of daily usage and the amount hey can spend on games. https://www.npr.org/2019/11/06/776840260/china-introduces-restrictions-on-video-games-for-minors While the intentions are with some reason, the ability to enact such measure of control should raise a red flag to any society that values individual economic liberty. The business side of this is now has limitations on amount of time and money to be spent making investment by game makers in that market more risky and set ups a situation where preferential treatment is incentivized even more because of limited markets shares.

I have no problem with Tulane taking a leisure trip there with possible recruiting benefits. I just think we shouldn't think of it as a business trip.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:28 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

This

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:

Just don’t tell them in front of the NBA.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:40 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

I am more or less in agreement. While I’ll add I find it super problematic that the NCAA endorsed and allows this event, from a Tulane perspective its a positive, And I don’t think we need to be limiting our options by insisting we have a higher standard for ourselves than the rest of college basketball. I’d like the NCAA to kill this event, but it’s not on us to refuse to go. Someone else would just take our place

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:42 pm 
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

I am more or less in agreement. While I’ll add I find it super problematic that the NCAA endorsed and allows this event, from a Tulane perspective its a positive, And I don’t think we need to be limiting our options by insisting we have a higher standard for ourselves than the rest of college basketball. I’d like the NCAA to kill this event, but it’s not on us to refuse to go. Someone else would just take our place

My feelings, as well. It's a bit more compelling for us to go given that we have a Chinese national on our team.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:45 pm 
President's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Basically this. Cultural exchange is cool. I think we all kinda get there is a certain odor of something else to it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:47 pm 
President's Circle

GretnaGrn wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

My feelings, as well. It's a bit more compelling for us to go given that we have a Chinese national on our team.

Why not play in France, Nigeria, or Sudan?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Circle back to market discussion... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:53 pm 
President's Circle

TUPF wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Right. Which means more than cultural exchange...

I don't want it to be, but this could also have a not-so-good look to it 12 months from now. Who knows what the zeitgeist will be. Will Tulane be paid for this game?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

Poseidon wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Right. Which means more than cultural exchange...

I don't want it to be, but this could also have a not-so-good look to it 12 months from now. Who knows what the zeitgeist will be.
Always true. Heck, years ago I honeymooned in Caracas and later went there on business. Bad juju now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:21 pm 
President's Circle

other teams that have played in this game since 2015. Ga. Tech, Yale, Harvard, Texas, Arizona State, Colorado, UCLA, Cal and Stanford. the only trouble was in 2017 when three UCLA players there for a game vs. Ga. Tech were arrested for shoplifting sunglasses. The event survived that and now comes with associated cultural exchanges, panel discussions (one of which AD Dannen participated in today) and basketball exhibitions. Seems like the trip of a lifetime for Tulane's student/athletes.