Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:24 am 
Cornerstone

tjtlja wrote:
Article on Arkansas job from their Rivals site -

WILLIE FRITZ, TULANE

Fritz has truly worked his way up from the bottom of the college football ranks, starting at the junior college ranks and having success at the Division II, FCS and Group of Five ranks. Fritz led Georgia Southern’s transition to the FBS level, which included a Sun Belt conference championship in his first season at the school. After taking the Tulane job in 2016, Fritz turned around the Green Wave and has clinched back-to-back bowl eligibility for the program for the first time since the 1979 and 1980 seasons. Fritz’s recruiting ties to Georgia and New Orleans make him an attractive option from a recruiting standpoint as well.

MIKE LEACH - Head coach, Washington State

One of the most unique personalities in the game, Leach has made a name for himself by thriving at conference outposts. He coached at Texas Tech from 2000-09, going 84-43 and leading the team to a bowl game in every season. After an ugly breakup from the school in which Leach was fired after allegations of mistreatment by one his players, Leach resurfaced at Washington State in 2012. He took the Cougars from the bottom of the Pac-12 to four consecutive bowl games and an 11-2 record in 2018. Leach, one of the pioneers of the Air Raid offense, was nearly hired by Tennessee in 2017 and has been a candidate for several other positions in recent years.

GUS MALZAHN - Head coach, Auburn

Would the Razorbacks really make a pitch to Arkansas native Malzahn to return to his home state? The veteran coach was the Razorbacks' offensive coordinator in 2006 and also spent a year as the head coach at Arkansas State, sandwiched around his tenure at Auburn as the Tigers' offensive coordinator (2009-11) and head coach (2013-present). Malzahn was rumored to be a candidate before Morris was hired in 2017 and received a long-term extension from Auburn that offseason. But with his name seemingly coming up in hot seat discussions on a yearly basis, could he make the leap to another program ala Jimbo Fisher? It’s tough to see it happening but it’s not out of the realm of possibility either.

BILLY NAPIER - Head coach, Louisiana-Lafayette

A rising star in coaching circles, Napier is in his second year at Louisiana-Lafayette and has already clinched back-to-back bowl berths. Napier actually preceded Morris as the offensive coordinator at Clemson and has also been an assistant at Alabama under Nick Saban and worked at Arizona State. His limited head coaching experience could be a negative, but Napier has a reputation as a dynamic recruiter and was key in Alabama landing current stars Henry Ruggs and Devonta Smith.

MIKE NORVELL - Head coach, Memphis

Another former Arizona State assistant, Norvell took over for Justin Fuente at Memphis in 2016 and hasn’t skipped a beat, including leading the team to back-to-back appearances in AAC championship game. The Tigers are in the AP Top 25 again this season and appear poised to make a third-straight appearance in the American Athletic Conference title game next month. Norvell’s ties to Memphis, where the Razorbacks have had success recruiting over the past two cycles, as well as his ability to recruit the Southeast would make him a very attractive candidate.

Two requests: a link would be nice and a complete rundown of every name actually mentioned. The latter is more important. Don’t post the whole story but do list every name mentioned. I just have a feeling that the list was pruned by tjtlja.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:38 am 
Emerald Circle

lg, it appears he got this from an article on Rivals written by Woody Wommack, their recruiting analyst, and he only had these 5 names.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:50 am 
Cornerstone

Yep. That’s right. My skepticism of tj pushed me to write that. If that offends that poster, sorry, but that’s what I think. It also pushed me to find out that the little story with the list has little to do with Arkansas’ rivals board. Woody Wommack is the Southeast recruiting analyst for rivals.com and is based in Atlanta. It would be good if everyone put some correct context on their submissions. My perusal of one Arkansas board (hogville.net) shows very little mention of Fritz. Some, but very little.

Last edited by long green on Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:54 pm 
Cornerstone

We're going to make sure Fritz stays

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm 
President's Circle

FW wrote:
We're going to make sure Fritz stays

Yes. His next bump will go to $2.5M/year. Our biggest concern will be his assistants, particularly Hall and Kennedy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:08 pm 
Navigator Level

According to a USA article a couple of weeks ago that listed all D-1 coaches salaries, CWF is paid $1.660,000 but benefits such as bonuses / buy out info, etc. were N/A, not so for the majority reported.

Perhaps, with the rising perception of the AAC, the time is coming when a coach won't have to leave Tulane in order to pursue the goal of reaching and winning the national championship series, a la Tommy Bowden. Dreaming :green wink: ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:04 pm 
President's Circle

Tulane, and the AAC in general, has no path to the playoff and thus no path to a championship.

$1.6 million is nice and I hope we can continue to increase that as CWF earns it. Assistant salary pools are a different animal. If a P5 wants Fritz badly enough they will be able to make him (and his staff) an offer he can't refuse.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:31 pm 
Cornerstone

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Tulane, and the AAC in general, has no path to the playoff and thus no path to a championship.

$1.6 million is nice and I hope we can continue to increase that as CWF earns it. Assistant salary pools are a different animal. If a P5 wants Fritz badly enough they will be able to make him (and his staff) an offer he can't refuse.

The ”no path to the championship" sounds like a good reason until you take a real look at at least 75% of the programs with "a path to the championship." They don't really have one. If Fritz leaves for a P5 he's leaving for money and nothing, nothing, nothing else.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:14 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

The ”no path to the championship" sounds like a good reason until you take a real look at at least 75% of the programs with "a path to the championship." They don't really have one. If Fritz leaves for a P5 he's leaving for money and nothing, nothing, nothing else.

Oh absolutely. I didn't mean for the above to imply leaving for a P5 would be about winning a championship. Outside of a few big programs it would be all about money. I was just responding to Dt Petespost that hoped for a path to a title at Tulane which would keep a coach here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:14 pm 
Emerald Circle

I think that the school that will go after Fritz hard is Vandy. Still I can’t imagine- whatever we are they are 10 times more difficult.
I just don't see Arkie going after a Tulane coach when the SMU coach (a school located in their prime recruiting area) failed so miserably.
The coach these teams should look at is ULL's coach.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:18 pm 
Coach Level

Interesting read - mentions WF as one of 2 candidates they should look at hard...

https://footballscoop.com/news/a-look-at-the-arkansas-search/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:21 pm 
Regent's Circle

https://footballscoop.com/news/a-look-a ... as-search/

This guy says Fritz or perhaps Holtz to Arkansas.

He postulates that Hogs whiffed with young up and coming offensive genius in Morris so it will hire the exact opposite type and Willie and Skip fill that bill. Fun read. If you're SWAGging this is as good as I've seen. Very very complimentary to Willie.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

The two of you posted 3 minutes apart but a good article is a good article. Probably the most pithy summation of Fritz to date and a good summation of why he should be in the conversation for a place not looking for a splash hire, but a solid grinder.

We knew once Fritz started having measurable success that the sniffers would come sniffing. It’s a good problem to have.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:41 pm 
Regent's Circle

Well it took me longer because I was told Board policy here for comments on coach's searches was that one must include all names listed not just Willie's. When the policy changes, I won't be three minutes late anymore..... :green wink:

or simply this not-so-great mind may think alike to our friend from Garyville, only mine is a little slower.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:54 pm 
President's Circle

long green wrote:
Yep. That’s right. My skepticism of tj pushed me to write that. If that offends that poster, sorry, but that’s what I think. It also pushed me to find out that the little story with the list has little to do with Arkansas’ rivals board. Woody Wommack is the Southeast recruiting analyst for rivals.com and is based in Atlanta. It would be good if everyone put some correct context on their submissions. My perusal of one Arkansas board (hogville.net) shows very little mention of Fritz. Some, but very little.

Your skepticism is a joke, and you are way past offending me. It is my understanding I am entitled to post anything within the rules of the board. If you want, just eliminate all my post or ban me from the board. And before you run your mouth, you could have looked this up like GB. I gave you the Rivals reference.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
Well it took me longer because I was told Board policy here for comments on coach's searches was that one must include all names listed not just Willie's. When the policy changes, I won't be three minutes late anymore..... :green wink:

I am slow on the uptake but a reread of the page made the :idea: go on. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 pm 
Emerald Circle

his offense might scare people off. i hope we keep him

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:46 am 
President's Circle

Proximity and legacy has Hogs fans salivating over Holtz. You can easily argue that he's done a better job at Tech than WF here - not that I would prefer Holtz over WF, just saying look at his record thus far. And Tech is no easy place to recruit and sustain talent. He's 54-34 and 5 straight bowl wins.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 am 
President's Circle

Yankeewave wrote:
his offense might scare people off. i hope we keep him

as mentioned in another thread, we're 12th nationally in SP+ offensive rankings. and we're in the top 20 nationally in scoring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:35 am 
Breaker Level

They used to always say that the Neville Brothers were the favorite band of musicians. Everyone in the industry knew how great they were, but they never really had massive mainstream success. That is what Willie Fritz is to coaching. Everyone in the industry knows how good he is, but he's not the sexy pick for an AD that is trying to win the press conference and get the fan base excited. He was a great choice for Tulane because we just wanted someone that was solid and could win and were never going to get the hot name.

Most of the P5 schools that are looking for coaches have fan bases that want a "splash" hire. The Tulane coach that went 7-5 or 6-6, "runs the option" and is 60 years old isn't going to get the message board crowd excited. We know what he has done here and what his real philosophy is, but most people have no idea. The AD's might, but they want to get their fan bases excited.

This is why I don't think that he'd fly at most "power" schools. If we were undefeated, it might be a different story but I think that only a school like Vandy that is in a similar position as we were would go after him hard. I saw the Football Scoop story on Twitter and under it were some Arkansas fans saying that they were out if they hired Fritz. Don't doubt that he'll have some suitors, but it will take the right situation for that to come together.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:41 am 
Regent's Circle

All good stuff above. I used to rank Fritz leaving at 5%. Now I put it at 30%. I suspect his agent will simply show all the clippings to Dannen and Fitts and get Fritz another raise and contract extension (and even larger buyout.)

Or at least I hope so.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:01 am 
President's Circle

Worth a read. I believe this applies to Tulane and Coach Fritz as well.

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2019/11 ... t-football

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:14 am 
Emerald Circle

Donny Z wrote:

Excellent points. The inner voices that drive successful coaches are also what oftentimes causes them to fly too close to the sun and have their wings melt. It’s a fine line.

In each of our careers if we have anything on the ball, we are tempted to job and city hop, believing that short term pain enables long term gain. Then one day many or most of us reach a point where we look around and say it’s OK to stay, to put down roots, to get to know our city as more than a transient. The thing about a profession or a corporation is that there can only be one top dog and you have to make peace with that or you will drive yourself crazy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:18 am 
Coach Level

TUPF wrote:
Donny Z wrote:

Excellent points. The inner voices that drive successful coaches are also what oftentimes causes them to fly too close to the sun and have their wings melt. It’s a fine line.

In each of our careers if we have anything on the ball, we are tempted to job and city hop, believing that short term pain enables long term gain. Then one day many or most of us reach a point where we look around and say it’s OK to stay, to put down roots, to get to know our city as more than a transient. The thing about a profession or a corporation is that there can only be one top dog and you have to make peace with that or you will drive yourself crazy.

I was an executive of a Fortune 500 company, and one of our EVP's had a poster in his office. It was a photo of a dog sled team with the caption, "If you're not the lead dog, the view is pretty much the same." Best to get used to it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:04 pm 
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:
All good stuff above. I used to rank Fritz leaving at 5%. Now I put it at 30%. I suspect his agent will simply show all the clippings to Dannen and Fitts and get Fritz another raise and contract extension (and even larger buyout.)

Or at least I hope so.

It depends who's asking, of course. I don't think he can turn down Arkansas' money but Arky is a threat to us because they're terrible and might get turned down by a Norvell or Fickell. If Arky pulled off the Malzahn hire Auburn would never have to ask Fritz. I may regret saying this but I think Fritz would turn Vandy down flat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next