Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:13 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4923
Jake called the Temple game so I figured I would get his predictions and the keys to the game against UCF. Jake pointed out that UCF is dead last in the league in 3 point percentage and 10th in scoring offense. It’s his belief that their poor shooting along with some increased energy in the building should allow us to run a little more and get some easy buckets. He knows we must rebound and says that if Zhang and Days combine for at least 9 rebounds we win.

Initially, he called for a rout and the game to be over at the ten minute mark (mainly because that is about his bedtime). I told him he could stay up later as long as he explained to his mother that Tulane is on and they need him. He is now calling for a tight game with the Wave pulling ahead late to win by 10.

Here is to hoping the kid stays hot and his opinion on Tulsa will mean something.

Thank you all for indulging him.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:27 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 23010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Can Jake be basketball's "Baseball Brit"? :mrgreen:

Scratch that... shortly after "Baseball Brit" started following Tulane, the football team started losing. :coolshades:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 8439
Location: Charlotte
the thing that worries me about a team struggling from 3 is them "getting healthy" against our zone... we did a GREAT job of limiting Temple's open looks beyond the arc.. if that continues, we should handle UCF.

The one thing I have loved all year about this team is the opponent has no idea whom to stop... Hightower is the leading scorer.. stop him..OK, then here comes Lawson with 20+.. shut down Lawson and Hightower, here comes Thompson with 20+... last game, Jordan Walker was nearly unstoppable. One game, Nic Thomas is going to explode for a bunch. Against Cincy, it was Zhang... that kind of balance makes it really hard to focus and play defense against us.

I hope the student section is packed tonight and some of our non student fan base comes out and makes it loud!

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:14 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 6764
Location: Wichita
Let's get Jake a YouTube channel!

_________________
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:59 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4923
Johnny Mac wrote:
the thing that worries me about a team struggling from 3 is them "getting healthy" against our zone... we did a GREAT job of limiting Temple's open looks beyond the arc.. if that continues, we should handle UCF.

The one thing I have loved all year about this team is the opponent has no idea whom to stop... Hightower is the leading scorer.. stop him..OK, then here comes Lawson with 20+.. shut down Lawson and Hightower, here comes Thompson with 20+... last game, Jordan Walker was nearly unstoppable. One game, Nic Thomas is going to explode for a bunch. Against Cincy, it was Zhang... that kind of balance makes it really hard to focus and play defense against us.

I hope the student section is packed tonight and some of our non student fan base comes out and makes it loud!


I’m with you. I always get nervous that the other team is going to get hot against the zone like St. Louis did. I do wish when that is the case that we would play some man to man. When we are more active in the zone, the shots do seem to be more contested. It just isn’t the case for 40 minutes which is somewhat understandable given the minutes these guys are playing.

I was fascinated by the discussion during the Temple game that the only freshman under Hunter to play more than Days were Paul George and R.J. Hunter. High praise and kind of tells you that he likes playing experienced guys. It does give me hope that some of the frosh can play, but he just doesn’t believe in playing freshman.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:05 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 6544
Location: Gretna, LA
NJwave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
the thing that worries me about a team struggling from 3 is them "getting healthy" against our zone... we did a GREAT job of limiting Temple's open looks beyond the arc.. if that continues, we should handle UCF.

The one thing I have loved all year about this team is the opponent has no idea whom to stop... Hightower is the leading scorer.. stop him..OK, then here comes Lawson with 20+.. shut down Lawson and Hightower, here comes Thompson with 20+... last game, Jordan Walker was nearly unstoppable. One game, Nic Thomas is going to explode for a bunch. Against Cincy, it was Zhang... that kind of balance makes it really hard to focus and play defense against us.

I hope the student section is packed tonight and some of our non student fan base comes out and makes it loud!


I’m with you. I always get nervous that the other team is going to get hot against the zone like St. Louis did. I do wish when that is the case that we would play some man to man. When we are more active in the zone, the shots do seem to be more contested. It just isn’t the case for 40 minutes which is somewhat understandable given the minutes these guys are playing.

I was fascinated by the discussion during the Temple game that the only freshman under Hunter to play more than Days were Paul George and R.J. Hunter. High praise and kind of tells you that he likes playing experienced guys. It does give me hope that some of the frosh can play, but he just doesn’t believe in playing freshman.

And he has the luxury of upperclassmen transfers who are legit. I think the current freshmen, if they stick around (and Hunter seems to be a good salesman, so hopefully the ones he wants do), will come out the gates looking very good next year.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:10 am 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:28 am
Posts: 608
Location: Round Rock, TX
NJwave wrote:
Jake called the Temple game so I figured I would get his predictions and the keys to the game against UCF. Jake pointed out that UCF is dead last in the league in 3 point percentage and 10th in scoring offense. It’s his belief that their poor shooting along with some increased energy in the building should allow us to run a little more and get some easy buckets. He knows we must rebound and says that if Zhang and Days combine for at least 9 rebounds we win.

Initially, he called for a rout and the game to be over at the ten minute mark (mainly because that is about his bedtime). I told him he could stay up later as long as he explained to his mother that Tulane is on and they need him. He is now calling for a tight game with the Wave pulling ahead late to win by 10.

Here is to hoping the kid stays hot and his opinion on Tulsa will mean something.

Thank you all for indulging him.


Can I get Jake's picks for the Super Bowl?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:43 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4923
austxwave wrote:
NJwave wrote:
Jake called the Temple game so I figured I would get his predictions and the keys to the game against UCF. Jake pointed out that UCF is dead last in the league in 3 point percentage and 10th in scoring offense. It’s his belief that their poor shooting along with some increased energy in the building should allow us to run a little more and get some easy buckets. He knows we must rebound and says that if Zhang and Days combine for at least 9 rebounds we win.

Initially, he called for a rout and the game to be over at the ten minute mark (mainly because that is about his bedtime). I told him he could stay up later as long as he explained to his mother that Tulane is on and they need him. He is now calling for a tight game with the Wave pulling ahead late to win by 10.

Here is to hoping the kid stays hot and his opinion on Tulsa will mean something.

Thank you all for indulging him.


Can I get Jake's picks for the Super Bowl?


I thought football ends when the Saints are eliminated. Thus, I'm taking your post to be a trick question.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:11 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:28 am
Posts: 608
Location: Round Rock, TX
True Dat!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:01 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:30 pm
Posts: 32372
Location: 30°37'40.6"N 81°27'02.4"W
Does Jake have a pet octopus?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:12 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4923
Roller wrote:
Does Jake have a pet octopus?


:-D

Each of my kids have a stuffed version of Riptide which I highly recommend for young kids (blatant attempt for an endorsement deal). They sit next to us when we watch the game as a good luck charm. I made them throw away the stuffed Tigers my mother-in-law bought them (and came this close to throwing her away as well). Although, I do hear the Tulane law school might carry them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 8439
Location: Charlotte
as I feared.. UCF red hot from 3

where the fk is everybody? Entire side behind the benches is empty.. students treating Devlin like the library

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:24 pm 
Offline
Junior
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 pm
Posts: 16
Johnny Mac wrote:
as I feared.. UCF red hot from 3

where the fk is everybody? Entire side behind the benches is empty.. students treating Devlin like the library


We are down by 15 after 10 min. The students aren't coming unless we show some consistency over a longer period than a few games. It will take a while.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:54 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:28 am
Posts: 608
Location: Round Rock, TX
Where the heck is Jake? Pick it up Jake! Don't let me down.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:54 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 8439
Location: Charlotte
what an atrocious excuse for an effort for 20 minutes... I only hope shooting at a different rim changes things because that was an Ed Conroy-esque first half.. 8 minutes without a basket... and we went 5+ before that.. so basically two hoops in 13 minutes

I hope Hunter bans everyone from the locker room except the guys who sat on the bench

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 1817
There are plenty of students here. They sit on the opposite side. Many are sitting in the chair backs above the student section.

_________________
Here we come!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:33 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 4040
Laying a huge egg.

First off we lose our Jett
Second was the disaster that was last night
Third on the list is tonight - as I write this, we are 11-44 from the field - a whopping 25%

I guess the administration and students were too hungover after celebrating last night - traitors - looks like we have about 500 people in the gym

Do things really happen in 3’s? I sure hope so

And it is only Tuesday!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:40 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 22265
Location: North Kenner
If he’s still watching down 30 I’m calling someone for child abuse. I don’t think Ed Conroy lost by 30 in a conference game.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:42 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 19991
Location: Philadelphia, PA & Berlin, MD
Down 30 now. As Roberto Duran said...”no mas...no mas”.

I’m thinking about when Coach Herb Brooke made his players skate after a Soviet beatdown before the Lake Placid Olympics until they puked.

_________________
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:54 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4923
Pathetic performance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 16657
UCF wins, 74-55

_________________
Past performance is no guarantee of future results


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:04 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 22265
Location: North Kenner
They must have been partying with the law school all night on Bourbon

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4923
Trying to find any positives. Days played well again. McGee and Russell look athletic, but McGee had no idea of his responsibilities in the zone which is why he has not played much. We are so much better when we try to get to the rim or drive and kick. Just brutal watching guys force shots all night.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:07 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 4040
And that scumbag up the river is 4-0.

Anyone want to start talking baseball?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:09 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:18 pm
Posts: 4923
Jake would be much better at forecasting wins if I had gone to Duke. Although, they did lose to Clemson.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], TU23 and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group