Tulane baseball preview

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Re: Tulane baseball preview

Post by Tulane49 »

tjtlja wrote:TU49, what does the starting lineup look like? Any ideas on the pitching rotation? Who will be the 8th and 9th inning guys out of the pen. Thank you as usual for the information you provide.
Justin Campbell in the 8th
Keagan Gillies in the 9th

Yep not a misprint Keagan in the 9th

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Tulane49 wrote:
tjtlja wrote:TU49, what does the starting lineup look like? Any ideas on the pitching rotation? Who will be the 8th and 9th inning guys out of the pen. Thank you as usual for the information you provide.

yeah.. let's bring in a guy who's 6 7 and can't break 85 with his fastball and has no significant "out" pitch to be our stopper. He had less than 1K per inning last year with 0.5 BB per inning... again, not the kind of stuff you want your stopper to possess
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Tulane49 wrote:

So does this mean he came in 4th as far as starters? Jewett had said we had 4 guys vying for the three weekend spots and whoever didn't get one of those would be the closer.
Here we come!

Wavefam985
Trainer

Post by Wavefam985 »

let the scramble commence...

BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

I have heard that rumor, but I would still put my money on Keegs as the Friday Night Starter.
Pellerin as the closer.
With fervent prayers that he puts it over the plate.
He’s practically unhittable when he does so.

Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

Johnny Mac wrote:
Tulane49 wrote:

yeah.. let's bring in a guy who's 6 7 and can't break 85 with his fastball and has no significant "out" pitch to be our stopper. He had less than 1K per inning last year with 0.5 BB per inning... again, not the kind of stuff you want your stopper to possess
Fastball consistent 93-94
Slider 77-78

Wavefam985
Trainer

Post by Wavefam985 »

35's velocity is not 93-94; it is more like 88-89 with him touching 93 (scout verified) once in awhile. If we could ever get the pitch velocity to accurately show on the scoreboard like most other major programs, then the mystery would be solved. I wish nothing but the best for Gillies and the rest of the pitching staff, but do believe that moving Gillies to the back end is almost unfair given how he has pitched this fall and pre-spring. He earned the right to be the opening night starter.

FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Tulane49 wrote:
BC Wave wrote:I think he is currently third on the depth chart.

Avila is clearly no. 1.

Frankie sure can hit, though.
Hasting will be backing up Aviles
Frankie will be packing up Grant at 1B

Travis has a lot of confidence in Parker Haskin
It would be nice if he can redshirt this year
You rarely redshirt someone who's supposed to be that good in college baseball

Billow
Coach Level

Post by Billow »

Artigues & Mathews were both redshirted. Also years ago Eric Lane was redshirted.

Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

It's win now for the current admin. I'll be astounded if any player who can "contribute" this year is redshirted; unless does baseball now have its equivalent of football four game max?

visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Billow wrote:Artigues & Mathews were both redshirted. Also years ago Eric Lane was redshirted.
To be fair FW said “supposed to be that good” Artigues and Mathews were not supposed to be good. Lightly recruited, probably not even on scholarship. IIRC Mathews didn’t even make the 35 man roster his 1st year here.

wave-em in
President's Circle

Post by wave-em in »

Anybody happen to going to a CSF game. I'll be at the Saturday night one.

Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

wave-em in wrote:Anybody happen to going to a CSF game. I'll be at the Saturday night one.
I'll be at Saturday and Sunday games. Maybe Friday, too

BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

I hope to be at all three.

randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Olthoff, Aldrich and Benoit starting hurlers for Wave this opening weekend, Twitter from TU Baseball reports.

FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

visualmagic wrote:
Billow wrote:Artigues & Mathews were both redshirted. Also years ago Eric Lane was redshirted.
To be fair FW said “supposed to be that good” Artigues and Mathews were not supposed to be good. Lightly recruited, probably not even on scholarship. IIRC Mathews didn’t even make the 35 man roster his 1st year here.
Exactly

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Wavefam985 wrote:35's velocity is not 93-94; it is more like 88-89 with him touching 93 (scout verified) once in awhile. If we could ever get the pitch velocity to accurately show on the scoreboard like most other major programs, then the mystery would be solved. I wish nothing but the best for Gillies and the rest of the pitching staff, but do believe that moving Gillies to the back end is almost unfair given how he has pitched this fall and pre-spring. He earned the right to be the opening night starter.
He’s had two years to prove himself. He did show improvement last year, but his out pitch was the HR ball his Fr year.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

visualmagic wrote:
Mathews was injured and had surgery his freshman year.
Here we come!

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Game on TV or streamed or nada?
Using big words is not a personal attack

visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

windywave wrote:Game on TV ?
Are you doing a bit ?

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

visualmagic wrote:
windywave wrote:Game on TV ?
Are you doing a bit ?
I'm asking a question

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Getting feisty already. Love the passion.

Speaking of passion, where is it? Little to no talk about the season. Does anyone even know we are playing FGCU this weekend? Does anyone know who FGCU is? Pathetic how little interest there is in Tulane baseball. Jewett has run this program into the ground. Please bring Jake back. Make Tulane baseball relevant. Opening night and little interest, a day I thought I would never see.

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

tjtlja wrote:Getting feisty already. Love the passion.

Speaking of passion, where is it? Little to no talk about the season. Does anyone even know we are playing FGCU this weekend? Does anyone know who FGCU is? Pathetic how little interest there is in Tulane baseball. Jewett has run this program into the ground. Please bring Jake back. Make Tulane baseball relevant. Opening night and little interest, a day I thought I would never see.
The gulf coast of Florida?

1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Fort Myers, Florida. They did some cool dunks in the NCAA basketball tournament once and their coach parlayed that into the USC gig. In baseball they're projected to compete for the ASUN title, which is actually pretty good for a mid-major league with Stetson, North Florida, Liberty, and Jacksonville also in it. That's about all I got.

I will be there tonight.

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

tjtlja wrote:Getting feisty already. Love the passion.

Valentines day on the first weekend of parades. Can’t imagine how anyone is thinking of anything but baseball right now.

I know FGCU used to be decent for a season or two, but any idea how good they are this year?
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson