Big Mike

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Big Mike

Post by DrHullabaloo »

Where does this post go? Former players, Campus news?

Heartbreaking news in my inbox from the Greenbackers that Big Mike has left us.

I am so sad for all the Greenbackers, his wife who shared so much of him with Tulane, and everyone else who knew him.

Any words or memorials will be insufficient to capture how much he bleed olive & blue.

Johnny Mac
Regent's Circle

Re: Big Mike

Post by Johnny Mac »

from what you wrote, that post belongs right where it is.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

I wasn’t sure if I should post about it but now that you have I will add that anyone who knew him knows he was Tulane through and through. I’m glad I Zoomed into the GB meeting Thursday and got to talk to him (as he repeatedly told me he was glad to see I was on). He will be missed.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Had the pleasure of chatting with him on a visit for homecoming a few years ago. Mike and I were both chatting with Fred LeBlanc from Cowboy Mouth before they played the quad tailgate. If you knew Mike and you know Fred, you can imagine what an interesting conversation that was. :mrgreen:

RIP to a diehard Greenie. :cry:

FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Met him many times. Didn't know him as well as a lot on here, but this is terrible news.

QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

Very sad day. Always enjoyed my conversations with him and his amazing passion for the University. Great ambassador for Athletics.

Tulane was very lucky to have him wearing Green.

My thoughts are with his family.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder

DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

PeteRasche wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:39 pm
Had the pleasure of chatting with him on a visit for homecoming a few years ago. Mike and I were both chatting with Fred LeBlanc from Cowboy Mouth before they played the quad tailgate. If you knew Mike and you know Fred, you can imagine what an interesting conversation that was. :mrgreen:

RIP to a diehard Greenie. :cry:
One of the stories I heard was that his daughter hired Bucktown Allstars to play at her reception and they were specifically told no LSU fight song, and then I guess they forgot or something, because they started to play it and he went nuts and threatened to not pay them.

MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

It won’t be the same at Tulane games without him.

GreenHeart
Crest Level

Post by GreenHeart »

I sat next to Big Mike at a basketball game in Hattiesburg. (Could it have been last year?) The USM fans didn't know what to think about him. Everyone knows how vocal he could get when cheering the Greenies. It was a bit cold in their arena and Mike stood, turned around (we were on the front row) and yelled: "Why don't you guys pay your electric bills for this joint...it's freezing in here." There was not a single response from any USM fan.

He loved Tulane like we should all love Tulane. RIP.

sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

I was saddened to receive this info as well. I never got to know Mike well, but years ago (the much darker days of TU football), every time I went to an away game that was an easy drive (Houston, Memphis, UAB, etc), I would always see him, one of a handful of TU fans you could count on to support the team in person, no matter how bad we were predicted to get beat, etc. I kind of got to know him that way. In fact, I looked for him every time we went to an away game, just give him a "Roll Wave" and a nod. I always felt like I wanted him to see me too, supporting the team, just so he knew I was a diehard too.

Then, he was the loudest guy at some of the USM/TU baseball games (who can ever forget the "we own you, Corky" sign). You could always count on him to be the cheerleader, and he clearly had a blast supporting the team he loved so dearly. His kind of fun left a lasting impression.

As some of you know from prior posts, I just joined the Greenbackers last year, mostly because of him, even though he didn't ask me to join, or even know I had joined (I don't even know if he knew my name). He just made it look fun!

The Tulane community lost a good one! RIP.

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

A very sad day indeed. RIP my friend!

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

I remember my wife and I being called in on a secret fan focus group way back during the Toledo/Dickson years with Big Mike--I think done behind Rick Dickson's back. This was when I was still at Tulane. I knew Big Mike vaguely from tailgate, but he'd never met my wife. When he found out my wife taught spanish he started to regale her with how he knocked out his spanish requirement by taking a 400 level spanish lit class as the only non-major because it fit his schedule. He expressed surprise at himself that he had the confidence to speak in class. I thought instantly, Mike, knowing you, im not shocked you lacked the confidence to speak in any language in any setting.

A giant.

RIP
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Lenny Vangilder wrote a nice piece about Mike’s passing for Crescent City Sports

https://crescentcitysports.com/remember ... super-fan/
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Very sad news indeed. He fought the good fight. He will be missed greatly. May he RIP.
Here we come!

CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

I knew Big Mike just by name and he knew me just by face, but he spoke to me all the time. We got to be very good friends although he probably didn't even know my name.

He was a true TU fan and I will miss talking to him very much. May he RIP.

Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

He was such a great guy who brought everyone's spirits up when he was around. Would talk to anyone and it felt that he believed you and your opinion was important to him.

We lost a great one.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.

Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

Extremely nice man to talk with and just hang out with. He was truly one of a kind.

Tulane should create a fan spirit award (mega fan, #1 fan, etc...), name it after him, and give it out to a well deserving fan each year. Have other fans nominate, then vote on the award recipient. Not sure how this could work, but worth the effort and in the name of a true, true FANatic.

Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

i am sure the university would name an award after him for $10,000 or more. that is how schools work, sadly. also, hard to quantify who is a great fan or not when taking into account geography, financial resources, etc.

I hope that President Fitts will send a note to the family. that seems like it would be easy enough.

DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

They currently have the Bobby Boudreau Spirit Award, it's vetted through the Alumni Association. Mike should have been a recipient.

https://alumni.tulane.edu/s/1586/Alumn ... pgid=2171

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

Tulane Greenbackers

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

waverider wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:23 am
They saved his seat

https://mobile.twitter.com/TulaneAthlet ... 3391773696
Class act, Tulane. Class act.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere