No fans (except player family) for SMU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: No fans (except player family) for SMU

Post by ml wave »

Sophandros wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:10 am
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:58 pm
3,000 fans approved for Sunday's Saints game. Number will increase for each subsequent home game if the Covid rates remain low. I have to assume that some students or fans will be permitted to attend the Temple game.
I doubt anyone except students and player families will be allowed in large numbers until the Memphis game. The students go home prior to Thanksgiving and minimizing their exposure is and should be the school's priority.
That's ~4% of Superdome capacity which translates to about 1000 fans in Yulman. Whatever that's worth.

occasionally
Navigator Level

Post by occasionally »

Wavefan wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:23 pm
I’m watching Newman vs booker t. The game is being played in Orleans parish. There are fans in the stands. So what happened to no high school football in Orleans parish? What happened to no attendance? Not complaining just wondering why. Please understand I am not criticizing (here) a close it down or an open it up mentality. I just want consistency and for the same standards to apply to all.
Orleans Parish allowed the lesser of 25% capacity or 250 people at outdoor sporting events in 3.1. Now that is lesser of 25% or 500 in 3.2. Still, that's not enough to keep a lot of these high school games in the city - Holy Cross-Jesuit moved from Gormley to Southeastern, where they could put 2,000. Other New Orleans schools, including public schools, are playing their home games at Joe Yenni, Hoss Memtsas or other nearby stadiums.

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

randymc wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:54 am
can you be more specific than "lots of"?
Impossible to quantify. It could be relatively few or a lot. That goes at the heart of the problem of putting a system in place where Tulane can't keep up with all of the data nor enforce much. Students in multiple classes for multiple professors saying they have opted out of their daily health checks and/or stopped going to take the 2 times a week test. It's concerning on principle that Tulane created this system they can't enforce, regardless of if it is 1% or 20% or 50% of the student body not taking the tests
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

WaveProf wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:51 am
randymc wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:54 am
can you be more specific than "lots of"?
Impossible to quantify. It could be relatively few or a lot. That goes at the heart of the problem of putting a system in place where Tulane can't keep up with all of the data nor enforce much. Students in multiple classes for multiple professors saying they have opted out of their daily health checks and/or stopped going to take the 2 times a week test. It's concerning on principle that Tulane created this system they can't enforce, regardless of if it is 1% or 20% or 50% of the student body not taking the tests
You don't think that the students who choose to opt out are the most responsible about wearing masks and hand washing?
hashtagStopbunting
hashtagStopPUNTING!

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

gerryb323 wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:53 am

You don't think that the students who choose to opt out are the most responsible about wearing masks and hand washing?
My guess would be the exact opposite, but that is, of course, conjecture.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

As far as the game goes for students, require them to test before going and dont serve booze.The ones left going will be the ones who will watch the game and stay.

What I dont want to see happen is Tulane allow students only then they leave at half time.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Dishonorable mention - Navy

Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

WaveProf wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:30 am
randymc wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:57 am
https://tulane.edu/covid-19/dashboard

Tulane has averaged about 8 COVID cases per day over the past week; positive test rate of 0.5%; excellent data points.
Lots of students are also not showing up for their mandatory tests because there is no way to enforce them, and all Tulane can do is play "blame the students" and try to shame them to go, all for a situation Tulane chose to put them in.
They are also testing the wastewater of the dorms to determine whether they need to do more testing on subsets of students.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Sophandros wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:39 pm
They are also testing the wastewater of the dorms to determine whether they need to do more testing on subsets of students.
How are they doing that? If it's not per floor or per "restroom group" then you aren't really narrowing down the potential source much and even if you are, students visit other floors. Seems like a waste (no pun intended).

Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

A lot of colorful anecdotes above but let's return to the big picture.

Is the Tulane health system overwhelmed (or even significantly stressed) by currently ill COVID patients? Are sick students or other constituents from non-COVID causes not receiving needed treatments because of resources being diverted and devoted to COVID patients?

Tulane has not had any games or even practices cancelled or postponed because of too many players being COVID infected.

So again how is Tulane mishandling its pandemic response?

It seems to this layperson that by any direct or relative measure or benchmark, Tulane's COVID performance both within the University community and especially Athletics has been exemplary.

If someone has facts about this that say otherwise, please share them.

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

I am not demanding to go to any games. I am happy to see them on TV which would not have been a possibility 15, 20 years ago.

That said I cant help but notice very likely every team we play on the road will have or had fans in their stadiums, yet Yulman remains empty. Aside form the two academies who else is taking such a draconian approach? Maybe Tulsa? Others may disagree, but I think unessesarily keeping the season ticket holders out could cause fewer renewals next season. I for one have been very comfortable watching the games on my big screen at home while not having to make the trip. I or my father, or grandfather have made at least one home game a season since the 1930's. I will go next year, but the I am on the fence about season tickets and the quantity there of.

Is there a safe way to do it? The stadium in on the end of campus and it is totally feasible to have spectators enter fat the Claiborne end only and students enter from the campus end. You can divide the stadium and concourse underneath off where they aren't shared. You can section off the first few rows by the field. All of this can be done to let 2-5k in.

Tulane has made some very good strides under TD to make us Tulane fans feel like we want to be bonafide legitimate FBS P6 program. Keeping fans out while everyone around you and in your conference smells of small time RD "Tulane way."
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

This is what was emailed out:
“We do anticipate that additional students will be permitted in the stadium for the Temple game,” said Ben Weiner Director of Athletics Troy Dannen. “A final determination on increased student attendance will be finalized early next week. It is my expectation that we will have additional expanded capacity for our two November home games (Nov. 14 vs Army and Nov 27 vs Memphis). Any increase to the 500 spectators currently allowed in the stadium for the remaining three homes games is contingent on campus and city COVID-19 positivity rates remaining at their current low level and will be determined in cooperation with the City of New Orleans.”
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

PeteRasche wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:52 pm
Sophandros wrote:
How are they doing that? If it's not per floor or per "restroom group" then you aren't really narrowing down the potential source much and even if you are, students visit other floors. Seems like a waste (no pun intended).
They are doing it by dorm and it's to determine the levels of COVID in the building. You then measure it against the results of testing and you test and isolate those who haven't been tested. We're not the only school doing wastewater testing, BTW.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

Sophandros wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:03 am
PeteRasche wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
They are doing it by dorm and it's to determine the levels of COVID in the building. You then measure it against the results of testing and you test and isolate those who haven't been tested. We're not the only school doing wastewater testing, BTW.
It's a damn good method. Too many amateur epidemiologist who don't know what they don't know.
We still aren't there!

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:19 am
Sophandros wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
It's a damn good method. Too many amateur epidemiologist who don't know what they don't know.
I assume you aimed that at me (since that's how you roll). I asked the question not because I question testing of waste but because I design plumbing systems as part of my job and I know how they are piped (most people don't), and I was just wondering whether they are trying to literally identify individual floors, or even portions of floors, as having outbreaks by testing per restroom group. That would have been pointless. If they are getting useful information from a dorm as a whole (as Soph says they are), that's fine, no biggie.

Regardless of how and where, being a "sample obtainer" is probably not a job any of us would like to have, eh?

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:13 pm
Regardless of how and where, being a "sample obtainer" is probably not a job any of us would like to have, eh?
Submarines have "sanitary tanks". They have been known to get clogged while at sea necessitating fixing the problem while underway. It's not pretty. :oops:
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:13 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:19 am
Sophandros wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
I assume you aimed that at me (since that's how you roll). I asked the question not because I question testing of waste but because I design plumbing systems as part of my job and I know how they are piped (most people don't), and I was just wondering whether they are trying to literally identify individual floors, or even portions of floors, as having outbreaks by testing per restroom group. That would have been pointless. If they are getting useful information from a dorm as a whole (as Soph says they are), that's fine, no biggie.

Shooting from the lip is how you roll thus necessitating responses. Like when you claimed only southern schools would play football this season. Never was the case. Just like when you insisted there would be tens of thousands tailgaters on the streets of NOLA for Saints game. Never happened. Same here. Here you call their efforts a waste. The epidemiologist have been doing this a long time. They know their stuff. They are sick of being questioned by those that don't know what they don't know.
We still aren't there!

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:45 pm
Shooting from the lip is how you roll thus necessitating responses. Like when you claimed only southern schools would play football this season.
Except I didn't say that and everyone here agrees with me except you.
wavedom wrote:
Just like when you insisted there would be tens of thousands tailgaters on the streets of NOLA for Saints game.
I think I only said thousands and not tens of thousands (I'm not going to go look it up but I'm sure you will)... but regardless, I will admit I was wrong on that. I expected it at every NFL venue, figured there'd be stubborn people who would ignore the rules. Very, very glad to be wrong (not that there aren't a million other gatherings going on that are as bad or worse). The fact that you are making a big deal about this when I fully admit I was wrong (and after it happened, never said another word) is sad.
wavedom wrote:
Same here. Here you call their efforts a waste.
My words are literally right in this same thread. Go read them again. I was under the impression that they were trying to locate cases by testing samples from individual toilets or toilet groups or floors - and THAT would be a waste. But they aren't, Soph explained how they are using the data, and it's fine, no biggie. Happy that they are doing what they can to identify cases on campus.

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:42 pm
wavedom wrote:
Shooting from the lip is how you roll thus necessitating responses. Like when you claimed only southern schools would play football this season.
Except I didn't say that and everyone here agrees with me except you.
wavedom wrote:
Just like when you insisted there would be tens of thousands tailgaters on the streets of NOLA for Saints game.
I think I only said thousands and not tens of thousands (I'm not going to go look it up but I'm sure you will)... but regardless, I will admit I was wrong on that. I expected it at every NFL venue, figured there'd be stubborn people who would ignore the rules. Very, very glad to be wrong (not that there aren't a million other gatherings going on that are as bad or worse). The fact that you are making a big deal about this when I fully admit I was wrong (and after it happened, never said another word) is sad.
wavedom wrote:
Same here. Here you call their efforts a waste.
My words are literally right in this same thread. Go read them again. I was under the impression that they were trying to locate cases by testing samples from individual toilets or toilet groups or floors - and THAT would be a waste. But they aren't, Soph explained how they are using the data, and it's fine, no biggie. Happy that they are doing what they can to identify cases on campus.

You did say it would only be schools in the south and you were dead wrong. Others here certainly agreed with me.

I brought up the comments about tailgating because you insulted people that live here and never came back to apologize when you were dead wrong. And as usual you don't completely apologize when you add that worse things are going on. No there aren't gatherings of tens of thousands or even thousands.

As usual you can't admit you were wrong . You concluded by saying you thought no matter what it was a waste. It's not a waste at all. It's standard practice and it works.
We still aren't there!

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

It must be exhausting being perpetually aggrieved.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:44 pm
And continually misinterpreting everything others say and insisting you know their thoughts better than they do.

I'm so tired of the shtick that I'm not even going to go back one page and quote myself to prove him wrong. As I've said before, it's like arguing with a wall.

Btw,TUPF, check your pm (completely unrelated to this).

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

TUPF wrote:
Lazy generalization on your part as that's not the case at all. Pete has a proclivity for looking down his nose at southerners and when he's wrong as usual he takes umbrage at being called on it.
We still aren't there!

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:54 pm
TUPF wrote:
And continually misinterpreting everything others say and insisting you know their thoughts better than they do.

I'm so tired of the shtick that I'm not even going to go back one page and quote myself to prove him wrong. As I've said before, it's like arguing with a wall.

Btw,TUPF, check your pm (completely unrelated to this).
You said that ultimately it was a waste . It isn't. Deal with it brick head.
We still aren't there!

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

wavedom wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:16 pm
TUPF wrote:
Lazy generalization on your part as that's not the case at all. Pete has a proclivity for looking down his nose at southerners and when he's wrong as usual he takes umbrage at being called on it.
Not lazy at all. Look at the majority of the uncivil disagreements on this forum and you are the common participant. One week it's you and visualmagic, the next it's you and waveprof, now it's you and Pete. I'm sure I'm missing others. It'll probably be me now. One can actually raise issues and disagree with someone without being disagreeable.

tjtlja
President's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Can’t we all just get along!

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

TUPF wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:31 pm
wavedom wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:16 pm
TUPF wrote:
Not lazy at all. Look at the majority of the uncivil disagreements on this forum and you are the common participant. One week it's you and visualmagic, the next it's you and waveprof, now it's you and Pete. I'm sure I'm missing others. It'll probably be me now. One can actually raise issues and disagree with someone without being disagreeable.
Hey look you long ago said I don't care that you're right i like Pete so I'm taking his side. That's when I stopped caring what you said. As to who gets into to it around here that's everybody. Another lazy generalization on your part.
We still aren't there!