Pratt # 36 QB in nation

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tkruebbe
Riptide Level

Pratt # 36 QB in nation

Post by tkruebbe »

Athlon Sports rated top 131 QB in college only Houston , SMU ranked higher in AAC. Pratt highest ranked in La. colleges lswho guy #62 everyone else ranked lower than #110 . :mrgreen:
MAY THE WAVE LIVE FOREVER
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Pratt # 36 QB in nation

Post by PeteRasche »

Amazing improvement after another source ranked him "7th tier" (basically bottom 15 to 20) not that long ago! :lol: 8)
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

Pick a metric. Or combination. Bottom line for me is wins and losses after this season is over. I think number 7 will do his part - I just hope he is, and stays, healthy.
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

That is primarily up to the offensive line.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Pratt will end up higher than 36 by year end, more tools than before at most positions, experienced coach that he obviously respects. Expect schemes that protect him and Pratt has learned a lot.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Pratt will go as far as his OL can take him. Has the OL improved? Does the OL have adequate backups? I don’t know. From everything I have read, it doesn’t seem like we are there yet which is a head scratcher. A lot of these guys have been in the program at least three years. The failure to upgrade this position the past three years has caused us more games than any other unit. IMO, the offensive line is the key to the entire season.

I think we have a great year if -

1. The OL plays their best football as a unit since WF has been here.

2. The secondary play, especially CB, surprises everyone.

3. Special teams are indeed special, with the emphasis being on percentage of FG’s made within 45 yards.
Last edited by tjtlja on Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

tjtlja wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:13 am Pratt will go as far as his OL can take him. Has the OL improved? Does the OL have adequate backups? I don’t know. From everything I have read, it doesn’t seem like we are there yet which is a head scratcher. A lot of these guys have been in the program at least three years. The failure to upgrade this position the past three years has caused us more games than any other unit. IMO, the offensive line is the key to the entire season.

I think we have a great year if -

1. The OL plays their best football as a unit since WF has been here.

2. The secondary play, especially CB, surprises everyone.

3. Special teams are indeed special, with the emphasis being on percentage of FG’s made within 45 yards.
They don't even need to be truly special, just adequate for all three units. We can succeed if they're merely competent.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Agree. “Average” protection for Pratt should lead to vastly improved QB production.

Watching again as the DL hits the QB repeatedly as the center snaps arrive ain’t a recipe for a breakout season.
Navigator Level

Post by 1401973 »

Wavefan wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:41 pm Pick a metric. Or combination. Bottom line for me is wins and losses after this season is over. I think number 7 will do his part - I just hope he is, and stays, healthy.

I expect him to improve on his only two weaknesses (IMO):
1) reading what the defense is giving him - including - MOST IMPORTANTLY - recognizing blitzes
2) clutch play
The first is typical of young QBs and those who have to play under dysfunctional OCs.
The second is something you either have or don't. It most significantly affects Wavefan's above quote which I agree with completely.

The only other problem Pratt had has hopefully been permanently corrected with some decent coaching: he has finally learned to slide and not to take big hits (the story from earlier this week about Ibieta's injury at the Morgan St blowout - I was there saw and heard the hit - was a shining example of idiocy - but he also was young and was probably receiving little to no instruction from OC in that regard).

Laying all of our QB issues on a weak O-line is only half way there. A NFL QB that came from a school I am no fan of brought his team to the Super Bowl last season with the worst protecting line I've seen in the pros since the Saints in the early Manning era.

While Pratt has all the measurables, guts, determination and leadership qualities, it is an absolute that he (and all of our QBs) has a lot of room for improvement. I expect this to happen.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Good point. For Tulane to have a breakout season, it has to have clutch QB and PK play in 2022.

Tulane has not had a 4Q QB win since McMillan. My memory is fuzzy and I welcome correction but I don’t recall a single 4Q PK win in six seasons under Fritz. If true, that’s unbelievable.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:02 am Good point. For Tulane to have a breakout season, it has to have clutch QB and PK play in 2022.

Tulane has not had a 4Q QB win since McMillan. My memory is fuzzy and I welcome correction but I don’t recall a single 4Q PK win in six seasons under Fritz. If true, that’s unbelievable.
You are right. The last walk-off FG win came against Army in 2015 and Cairo had 2 in 2013. Those are the only 3 game winning FGs of the last ~20 years for Tulane.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

1309th WAVE wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:21 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:02 am Good point. For Tulane to have a breakout season, it has to have clutch QB and PK play in 2022.

You are right. The last walk-off FG win came against Army in 2015 and Cairo had 2 in 2013. Those are the only 3 game winning FGs of the last ~20 years for Tulane.
Was the ot fg against ull not a walk off? I know we won in like 3 ot but can't remember the specifics
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:22 pm

Was the ot fg against ull not a walk off? I know we won in like 3 ot but can't remember the specifics
Tied the game in the 3rd overtime, Tulane won by 2 in the 4th because ULL didn't convert their 2 point conversion. But that's more or less the most clutch Tulane FG of any category of the last 6 years.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

1309th WAVE wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:25 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:22 pm

Tied the game in the 3rd overtime, Tulane won by 2 in the 4th because ULL didn't convert their 2 point conversion. But that's more or less the most clutch Tulane FG of any category of the last 6 years.
That's what I remember. I had a cousin at ull at the time who was texting me during the game. I think his word when that field goal went through was "LUCKY!!!". He was probably right but it ultimately got us a W so I didn't care.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I looked it up because I couldn’t remember. The FG was in the 3rd OT to send it to a 4th. Not a walk off but definitely a clutch FG to keep the game alive.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Folks, Thanks for sharing this. It was a fun game and obviously the type of clutch PK, we need more of this year to breakout. May it happen.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:25 pm I looked it up because I couldn’t remember. The FG was in the 3rd OT to send it to a 4th. Not a walk off but definitely a clutch FG to keep the game alive.
Is it sad that I remember where I was during this game? In the grand scheme of... well, everything... this game was pretty meaningless. But I was streaming the broadcast on my phone and was deathly afraid we were going to lose to them, and that FG was clutch to keep us alive.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

RI WAVE wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:03 pm Pratt will end up higher than 36 by year end, more tools than before at most positions, experienced coach that he obviously respects. Expect schemes that protect him and Pratt has learned a lot.
Back to Pratt - and all of the related comments that are certainly on point! I will reiterate what I said before-

Pratt will end up higher than 36 by year end.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:08 am Folks, Thanks for sharing this. It was a fun game and obviously the type of clutch PK, we need more of this year to breakout. May it happen.
Today I watched a bunch of highlights from the last few years, including this game, but the one takeaway I have is that Spears is a game changer if he stays healthy. There’s even a 3 or 4 minute video on YouTube of his best runs from last year.

Pratt is another one that can be good depending on how the OL plays.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Seems like the national media might agree with you.

Spears a legit nfl prospect - time to prove it!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/20 ... r-AA10TJrf

Let’s see if the o line is truly that improved ? Roll Wave
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

According to this article they haven't:

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 41a7f.html
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

With the quarterbacks off limits for contact, sacks were a judgment call.

“There might have been one (sack) and there might have been 15,” Fritz said. “You just don't know, but there would have been a lot of hits on the quarterback. There was some pretty good pressure, but on the flip side as a head coach it means your offensive line wasn't protecting as well as we would like.”
That whole report is downright depressing, especially this quote.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:31 am

“There might have been one (sack) and there might have been 15,” Fritz said. “You just don't know, but there would have been a lot of hits on the quarterback. There was some pretty good pressure, but on the flip side as a head coach it means your offensive line wasn't protecting as well as we would like.”
That report tells me Ibietta and Horton better be ready to take meaningful snaps this season. Luckily our OL plays in Orleans parish and won’t face charges for having our QBs murdered.

Kicking had a decent practice:
With Valentino Ambrosio still hobbled by an unspecified injury, Graham Dable and Kriston Esnard kicked before the scrimmage started and combined to go 9 of 10 on live field goals ranging from 31 to 45 yards. Esnard hit all five of his. Dable’s miss was wide left from 33 yards.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Yes it is unfortunately. The only thing we can hope is that like Anderson said he knew what play they were going to run. But Pratt has made comments about the offense and said it is simple. which is worrisome. We'll see soon enough.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

waverider wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:43 am

That report tells me Ibietta and Horton better be ready to take meaningful snaps this season. Luckily our OL plays in Orleans parish and won’t face charges for having our QBs murdered.

Kicking had a decent practice:
With Valentino Ambrosio still hobbled by an unspecified injury, Graham Dable and Kriston Esnard kicked before the scrimmage started and combined to go 9 of 10 on live field goals ranging from 31 to 45 yards. Esnard hit all five of his. Dable’s miss was wide left from 33 yards.
I hope Valentino recovers because he has been the most consistent and is game proven. However the reports over the last couple of weeks have said that Esnard is finally starting to make his kicks consistently and there is no doubt he has a very strong leg. Maybe the light has come on for him.