LVSC has TUL a 20 pt underdog at CUSA team UCF

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Evergreenie
Navigator Level

LVSC has TUL a 20 pt underdog at CUSA team UCF

Unread post by Evergreenie »

How does Gibson Hall fix the talent problem and how does the Wilson Center improve the coaching?

It is so bad that we are now 3 TD under-dogs to Rootie-Poot CUSA teams
"Tulane, because of ...Hurricane Katrina as well as its difficult academic entrance requirements and challenging majors, doesn't attract the typical five-star recruit and have none of those on its commitment list." Times-Picayune on Signing Day
noladave
Regent's Circle

Re: LVSC has TUL a 20 pt underdog at CUSA team UCF

Unread post by noladave »

UCF just beat Houston. Houston killed us, so I would say 20 points is about right, maybe more.
washwave
Breaker Level

Unread post by washwave »

In the big picture, we shouldn't be a 20 pt dog to CUSA teams and especially to teams that weren't even good enough to be in our conference a couple of years ago. With that said, I watched some of the UCF/ Houston game and they looked good. If they play like they did yesterday and we play like we did vs. Rice, I'd lay the points...
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Big EZ Wave »

Las Vegas makes lines based off of team power ratings, which change over the course of several games, not one. We beat UTEP who beat Houston, but none of that matters.

The reality is Rice was a 3 point favorite over us. Regardless of what happened Saturday, we would've been a 15-20 underdog to UCF this week, even if they had lost to Houston.

That is where we are folks. I don't get too upset with it because as I've said multiple times, the way to fix this is recruiting, recruiting and recruiting. We have to get stronger on the OL and the DL in particular.
The Tulane University of Louisiana
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

How does Gibson Hall fix the talent problem?
Again, in my opinion, the issue is not the "with these standards, we get the talent" problem. I tip my hat to Coach Toledo for his recruiting class last year and his commits so far this season. Four classes of that kind of talent mixed with the right motivation and direction - we would be competing for C-USA West (year in and out).

It is all about being a salesman to the right 20-25 kids (that indeed have the grades and D-1 talent). If they ask: "Why don't we have an indoor practice facility?" The answer is "We do. It is the Superdome."

If they ask: "Why don't you have a basket weaving major?" The answer is "Do you like business? We have one of the best undergrad business programs in the country. Keep your grades right for Year 1 and 2 - we'll get you in." "Business doesn't excite you, you want to be able to give back to your community years from now, after the NFL? Our school of social work is perfect for you."

If they ask: "Why do we play in front of so few of fans on Saturday?" The answer is "To be honest, we've had 7 losing seasons in a row. You can be the class that puts together multiple bowl runs (C-USA has 7 to choose from) and change the history of Tulane Football".
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

QuarterbackU wrote:
How does Gibson Hall fix the talent problem?
Again, in my opinion, the issue is not the "with these standards, we get the talent" problem. I tip my hat to Coach Toledo for his recruiting class last year and his commits so far this season. Four classes of that kind of talent mixed with the right motivation and direction - we would be competing for C-USA West (year in and out).

It is all about being a salesman to the right 20-25 kids (that indeed have the grades and D-1 talent). If they ask: "Why don't we have an indoor practice facility?" The answer is "We do. It is the Superdome."

If they ask: "Why don't you have a basket weaving major?" The answer is "Do you like business? We have one of the best undergrad business programs in the country. Keep your grades right for Year 1 and 2 - we'll get you in." "Business doesn't excite you, you want to be able to give back to your community years from now, after the NFL? Our school of social work is perfect for you."

If they ask: "Why do we play in front of so few of fans on Saturday?" The answer is "To be honest, we've had 7 losing seasons in a row. You can be the class that puts together multiple bowl runs (C-USA has 7 to choose from) and change the history of Tulane Football".

WOW!!!

Excellent post QBU!

No one to blame. No negativity. No torches. No pitchforks. No whining.

JUST SOLUTIONS!!!!

By gosh, now we are moving forward....
olivengreen
Navigator Level

Unread post by olivengreen »

and putting that on a fan forum does what? nothing..... lets see the letter sent to cowen, the admin, dickson and company. heaven forbid if fans are sick of being the punch line of CUSA. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Proud member of the Greenbackers!!!!!
CMonster
Navigator Level

Unread post by CMonster »

Suggesting that fans are "whining" is classless and suggesting that the way forward include "no negativity" and "no one to blame" is not helping to put it mildly. In the real world, accountability is important.

If you aren't part of the solution....
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

I'm absolutely positive on the scale of justice posting a solution to an issue does more than 10 years of incessant whining and complaining on an Internet fan forum....

And I spoke to all the aforementioned at length on UTEP Saturday. And plan to again within the next few weeks.

But thanks for playing.... :mrgreen:
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

CMonster wrote:Suggesting that fans are "whining" is classless and suggesting that the way forward include "no negativity" and "no one to blame" is not helping to put it mildly. In the real world, accountability is important.

When was the last time you attended a game, spoke to the athletic department or the administration? Spoke to a player or a coach or asked them what they actually needed? When is the last time you attended a meeting trying to get any of this fixed? Come back when you actually do something besides your silly daily "it's leadership to blame" post? Sitting a couple thousand miles away twittering about things you are completely ignorant about is what is classless. Someone who is part of the solution actually "does and accomplishes” and just doesn't talk about doing....
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

I just want to say one thing, to CMonster and anyone else who is a loyal but frustrated fan.

Trust me on this, the issues you are concerned with are being addressed at the highest levels. I think you all are going to be very happy. I am not going to promise a time line or an outcome, not yet. There are some very positive things that are being worked on to "fix" many of these items. I don't think it serves anyone's interest to go public with them, but as someone who has been just as frustrated, believe me when I say that I think we are finally going to tackle these items with gusto.

I could summarize it this way - no one is satisfied with our current situation and we all want to put a successful football and basketball and other athletic teams on the field.
CMonster
Navigator Level

JtS wrote:
CMonster wrote:Suggesting that fans are "whining" is classless and suggesting that the way forward include "no negativity" and "no one to blame" is not helping to put it mildly. In the real world, accountability is important.

When was the last time you attended a game, spoke to the athletic department or the administration? Spoke to a player or a coach or asked them what they actually needed? When is the last time you attended a meeting trying to get any of this fixed? Come back when you actually do something besides your silly daily "it's leadership to blame" post? Sitting a couple thousand miles away twittering about things you are completely ignorant about is what is classless. Someone who is part of the solution actually "does and accomplishes” and just doesn't talk about doing....
I won't embarrass you by answering that question and I'll further overlook your classless "silly" stab and the rest of the personal attacks which are completely outside the rules of this forum. I'm sure you'll be banning yourself... :roll:

As for coming to games... I think the whole point here is that flying 2500 miles to see an awful football team isn't really a realistic expectation. If Tulane were making an effort to win and fielding a decent team I'd be at at least half the home games every season if not all of them.
CMonster
Navigator Level

Big EZ Wave wrote:I just want to say one thing, to CMonster and anyone else who is a loyal but frustrated fan.

Trust me on this, the issues you are concerned with are being addressed at the highest levels. I think you all are going to be very happy. I am not going to promise a time line or an outcome, not yet. There are some very positive things that are being worked on to "fix" many of these items. I don't think it serves anyone's interest to go public with them, but as someone who has been just as frustrated, believe me when I say that I think we are finally going to tackle these items with gusto.

I could summarize it this way - no one is satisfied with our current situation and we all want to put a successful football and basketball and other athletic teams on the field.
This is great to hear. I don't understand the need or value of secrecy (the Athletic Department assures that the "cone of silence" isn't real) but I look forward to being pleasantly surprised.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

Big EZ Wave wrote:I just want to say one thing, to CMonster and anyone else who is a loyal but frustrated fan.

Thanks EZ..

This is what I said as did most of the people that stopped posting here before it became such a negative place. Yes, you were heard and what was reasonable was presented to the the highest levels. These and other far eaching issues are being addressed and problems are going to change. When people have complained why things are not always public, very good reasons were given. When people asked why only a few people know things, it's because people have been working behind the scenes to make things happen and are sworn to confidentiality. No one is satisfied with the current situation but many people are working to fix it correctly.
JtS
Regent's Circle

Unread post by JtS »

CMonster wrote:
JtS wrote:

I won't embarrass you by answering that question and I'll further overlook your classless "silly" stab and the rest of the personal attacks which are completely outside the rules of this forum. I'm sure you'll be banning yourself... :roll:

As for coming to games... I think the whole point here is that flying 2500 miles to see an awful football team isn't really a realistic expectation. If Tulane were making an effort to win and fielding a decent team I'd be at at least half the home games every season if not all of them.
Don't worry about the rules, you have broken them enough for me to say goodbye a long time ago.

You really have no clue what is happening and are completely ignorant about the whole situation so 99% of your posts are complete bull$hit.

And as far as only supporting a winning team, my what a bandwagon fan we are...

Say g'nite Gracie....