Alumni Tea Party for Athletics

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Alumni Tea Party for Athletics

Unread post by Rotorooter »

FACT: Football and Basketball, an Athletics Department's main money generators, have not enjoyed postseasons (save 1) this DECADE;
FACT: Football is #110 out of #119 programs, despite a glorious history;
FACT: Tulane University needs to raise money for needed improvements in all areas of the University;
FACT: Athletic teams present a face of the University across the country;
FACT: A winning football team increases donations to a University ACROSS THE BOARD;
FACT: Tulane's current Athletic model is failing badly;
FACT: Athletics is a multi-million dollar financial drain on the University;
FACT: There is a desire among alumni to have a competitive Athletic Department with peer institutions, as evidenced by the response from the Review of 2003.

Facts are stubborn things. I cannot get out of my mind what Dickson said in the Atlanta meeting: "Tulane is YOUR University, we are just stewards." Stewards like, Toledo, Dickson, Dickerson and, yes, Cowen. It is time to have our voices heard AGAIN.

I am not a great one to organize anything, but we need to start a campaign to turn this thing around. Ideas are welcome, but I do believe starting an independent Tulane Sports Foundation is an excellent start. Additionally, perhaps a letter/email campaign, a rally outside Gibson Hall, I don't know. All I know is that I am sick of being embarassed about our Athletic teams and how it reflects on MY University. If these bozos cannot figure out what to do, we ought to help them, there are plenty of talented people in our alumni base who can make positive things happen.

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. By being silent, we are enablers of this behavior. I am welcome to suggestions.

JtS, check your pm.
Plan your work, work your plan.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Re: Alumni Tea Party for Athletics

Unread post by noladave »

well, one thing that can be done by out of town Tulane fans, is that you can voice your opinion when Dickson and Cowen show up in your region. There are plenty of events held outside of New Orleans, so make sure your voice is heard.

They are tired of hearing from some of us, and tend to tune us out.

A letter writing campaign to Cowen probably wouldn't hurt.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

There's an easy way for Scott Cowen stop hearing from us:

Fix the problem that he CAUSED. Shouldn't be very difficult for Time Magazine's #5 CEO.
murphwave
Coach Level

Unread post by murphwave »

We can complain until the cows come home. Until someone with influence ($$$$$) steps up and speaks up, nothing will be done.

Instead of Cowen, why can't we have a letter writing campaign to Lou Holtz (a Cowen friend from UCONN days) and ask him to mention our downtrodden program. They did stories on Temple when they were terrible and now look at them. If we can get more national exposure to our plight, it is more likely someone will step up (and more likely Cowen will be embarassed and act).

It would be cool to have a story on ESPN along the lines of the New York times article about fallen programs. Then they will interview administrators and have them explain in person what their thoughts are and what their goals are. Our only hope is the national media at this point. The local media does not care of Tulane football survives.
BS '99
MBA 2007
Evergreenie
Navigator Level

Unread post by Evergreenie »

I can say with High conviction that our problem is not on Willow street but St. Charles Avenue.

If CBT leaves someday, how in the world are we goping to attract a good coach when we have tougher arbitrary standards than UCLA?

The Board(Cowen) surreptitiously "Reviewed" us, now is time to "Reveiw the Reviewers"
Last edited by Evergreenie on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Tulane, because of ...Hurricane Katrina as well as its difficult academic entrance requirements and challenging majors, doesn't attract the typical five-star recruit and have none of those on its commitment list." Times-Picayune on Signing Day
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Just because Gibson hall puts up needless obstacles doesn't mean that other problems should be ignored.
This team is severely undercoached. Numerous coaches have launched great careers from tulane. Plenty of fine coaches would love to coach here. Both Willow street and Gibson hall should be held accountable.
ClearWaterWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by ClearWaterWave »

Gibson Hall does not care about athletics, that is the problem. CBT, understaffing and recruiting restraints are merely symptoms.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

GSx wrote:Just because Gibson hall puts up needless obstacles doesn't mean that other problems should be ignored.
This team is severely undercoached. Numerous coaches have launched great careers from tulane. Plenty of fine coaches would love to coach here. Both Willow street and Gibson hall should be held accountable.
GSx, unfortunately, Gibson Hall holds the purse strings for all things necessary to build a winning program. Looking at the past, the CFB "arms race" has gotten a lot more expensive for facilities and coaches. While we might agree as to current problems, any change has to start at Gibson. It has everything to do with coaches' salaries and what they need to succeed. Trying to do things on the cheap introduces an element of risk that I am not sure that we can afford, timewise. This program needs an infusion of investment NOW.

The days of sending a check Carte Blanche and hoping that it makes its way to the right target is over, at least for me.
Plan your work, work your plan.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Rotorooter wrote: GSx, unfortunately, Gibson Hall holds the purse strings for all things necessary to build a winning program. Looking at the past, the CFB "arms race" has gotten a lot more expensive for facilities and coaches. While we might agree as to current problems, any change has to start at Gibson. It has everything to do with coaches' salaries and what they need to succeed. Trying to do things on the cheap introduces an element of risk that I am not sure that we can afford, timewise. This program needs an infusion of investment NOW.

The days of sending a check Carte Blanche and hoping that it makes its way to the right target is over, at least for me.
That all may be true.
But it still does not explain 49-0 and 52 yards of offense, nor 7-27 (against 1A competition), nor 15 of the last 19 games being abject blowouts. OUr players are not nearly that bad.
Nor does it explain zero use of exceptions in the last 2 recruiting classes.
That needs to be addressed as well.