Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:13 pm 
Navigator Level

I think the review is still brought up because the freshman that came into the 2005 season (Katrina year) was by far a drop in talent Some players did come out of that class (jeremy williams) but the class overall was not very talented. Its one of several reasons younger players played this year. That class was the Sr. class this past season. Since Katrina hit that season, the next class was affected by Katrina and not the review. I am saying this as I do not think that the Review should be an excuse anymore. If we still have a program after Katrina, then why question the review that occurred. Its part of history now and let it stay there. I do not think that the schools need the Review as ammunition for negative recruiting. We , meaning Tulane, have provided enough of that on our own.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:21 pm 
President's Circle

TXWave88 wrote:
I think the review is still brought up because the freshman that came into the 2005 season (Katrina year) was by far a drop in talent Some players did come out of that class (jeremy williams) but the class overall was not very talented. Its one of several reasons younger players played this year. That class was the Sr. class this past season. Since Katrina hit that season, the next class was affected by Katrina and not the review. I am saying this as I do not think that the Review should be an excuse anymore. If we still have a program after Katrina, then why question the review that occurred. Its part of history now and let it stay there. I do not think that the schools need the Review as ammunition for negative recruiting. We , meaning Tulane, have provided enough of that on our own.

Good points Tx88.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:22 pm 
Regent's Circle

GSx wrote:
JtS wrote:
Also, I suppose you could dismiss Scelfo's 2 winning seasons on his first four seasons, capped off with the Hawaii Bowl before the Athletic Review which we know had no effect on the football program. Again the revising of history to push the one's belief system, whether honest or dishonest should be balance by actual facts no matter how much we desire to ignore them.

Actual facts:
We went 12-0 the year before he took over
We won 3 games his first year; that team would have 7 players who would reach pro camps (including a 1RD quarterback)
The REview occured in 2003; the entire 2003 team was recruited before the review and only the true freshmen on the 2004 team were recruited after the review. Both teams had losing records. The fact is that the review had a small effect on the personnel on the 2003 and 2004 teams - very small.
Before the effect of the review could be felt, Katrina wiped us out.

Honestly, JTS, if those pre-Katrina or pre-Review years of Scelfo are considered successes by our athletic department and held up as some goal for acceptable performance, there is a massive disconnect between that belief and the belief of the New Orleans community and stakeholders. I don't know that it is held as successful performance (although Scelfo was awarded 2 contract extensions). But if it is,......

Honestly GSx,

I know this is a really difficult concept for you to understand and although I can give you 10,000s of examples from college teams throughout the history of college sports, this is important. College teams, like high school teams and professional teams change from year to year. Graduation, injuries, coaching changes, recruiting talent differences, basic numbers and attrition, schedule, strength of the opposition, playing experience of replacement players and a vast number of concrete reasons change college teams, their make-up, their results, their luck and really everything about them from year to year. So your 12-0 the year before he took over holds about as much water as my bladder driving from ATL to New Orleans. The Teams, Schedules, personnel, opposition and almost EVERY variable are different. This is the primary reason they have pre-season outlooks and magazines and prognostications every year before the season starts. BECAUSE THE TEAMS ARE DIFFERENT.

YOUR MANTRA: IT'S ABOUT WINS AND LOSSES!
EXCEPT WHEN DEALING WITH CHRIS SCELFO....

1997-7-4-Tommy Bowden-Godlike human being, can't do wrong. SEVEN REAL WINS!
1998-12-0-Tommy Bowden-Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe-Glory to Bowden in the highest-12 absolute victories.
then...
1999-3-8-Chris Scelfo-The Same D@mn Team, Schedule, opposition that went 12-0 and he PERSONALLY coaches them to 9 more defeats...
2000-6-5-Chris Scelfo-Same team as 12-0 and that B@stid Scelfo could only get 1/2 the victories..
2001-3-9-Chis Scelfo-need I say more!
2002-8-5-Chris Scelfo-Loser still only gets 3/4s out of that 12-0 team

2 winning seasons in 4 years, but no 12-0....It's all about wins and losses!

You can't judge and live by your little Mantra, post the exact same Cr@p over and over and over again with NO SOLUTIONS, NO ANSWERS, NO Keys, just the same factless accusations, blaming and negativity...

You can't have it both ways...The circular illogic used to prove your ever-moving point is finished. A serial seeker of alleged negatives can't crawfish when the mantra doesn't fit the agenda...

Post something new. Post a solution! Dare to be different!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:25 pm 
Breaker Level

olivengreen wrote:
and how far did that talent get us???? ONE bowl.... and yes, toward the end of the scelfo era we were not competing with anyone of importance. we were competing with the likes of samford. toledo brought in more 3 star recruits last season (after going 2-10 mind you) then scelfo did in his entire tenure here at tulane.

I remember Scelfo's first few recruiting classes as being very highly regarded. Roydell Williams, Lynaris Elphage, Tristan Smith, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:39 pm 
Navigator Level

Trifling Greenie wrote:
olivengreen wrote:
and how far did that talent get us???? ONE bowl.... and yes, toward the end of the scelfo era we were not competing with anyone of importance. we were competing with the likes of samford. toledo brought in more 3 star recruits last season (after going 2-10 mind you) then scelfo did in his entire tenure here at tulane.

I remember Scelfo's first few recruiting classes as being very highly regarded. Roydell Williams, Lynaris Elphage, Tristan Smith, etc.

Once again.... Toledo and staff brought in more 3 star recruits after a 'terrible' 2-10 year then Scelfo and staff did in his entire tenure so im not sure what 'very highly regarded' means to you.... Scelfo was bullheaded when recruiting local kids cause he didnt think they would be able to make the grades to stay in tulane.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:07 am 
Regent's Circle

Quote:
Scelfo was bullheaded when recruiting local kids cause he didnt think they would be able to make the grades to stay in tulane.

That makes very good revisionisit history....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:14 am 
Emerald Circle

JtS wrote:

Post something new. Post a solution! Dare to be different!

Gracious that's what I've begged for: more solutions and fewer excuses.
I've posted them many times, so they are repeats though:
Build facilities (my choices: IPF and multi-purpose basketball arena right on Claiborne to be used for athletic and academic events). Use some of the university's borrowing power to get his done.
Gibson Hall stimulus plan, at the least a 5 year moratorium on paying tuition to Gibson Hall in excess of the highest tuition of a La state school (i.e. the department pays to Gibson Hall whatever the LSU tuition is and the rest is waived). tuition is largely non-cash expense. Financial stimulus will also increase the rate of new money via donations and earned revenues into the program.
Find a better radio station; if we have to be on a station whose hosts are LSU fans, be on one with some power and listeners, like WWL.
Take the money we got from selling home games to Rutgers et al and put it into recruiting and coaching budgets.
Relax the institutional binds from Gibson Hall
The athletic director (or his appointee) should regularly get on talk shows, community groups and announce that Tulane will win, and how we are going to do it and his goals for the program.
The President could do the same once in a while; but in the least stop his obstructionism (like "use problems" ).

You can lampoon my opinions - that's fine. But the reality is that our attendance is at dangerously low levels. It's not bad fans (good gracious we have most loyal and patient fans in the world) or lack of fans. It is simply because we lose too much -way, way, way too much. That is the reason. And that is my solution. Winning.
All these people at LSU games or watching them in bars aren't die-hard. They want to root for a good local team. And many would root for us, if we had a fighting chance. This town loves good football. It's high time we give it to them. And there's no reason, none at all, we can't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:31 am 
Regent's Circle

Very Good, Very Accurate GSx. I'd actually be somewhat happy if Tulane would do just a couple on your list, make an announcement of intent at the very least. Just Something :!: :!: ALL the items you listed are important though.