Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: We Need Salesmen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:00 am 
Emerald Circle

as much as anything else right now. We have to start winning the public relations game. We need vocal leadership to be the salesmen for Tulane football. We need a Rick Jones to sell the program to the fan base.

We need point men out in front saying "We expect to win, we are going to compete for conference championships and our expectations are for Tulane to have an excellent football program."

Tulane has a tremendous number of advantages, and yes there are some things we could improve. We need are structural changes, no doubt. But in the meantime we need vocal leadership to sell the things we do have and where we intend to go.

I 100% agree with the comment made that Recruiting is the most important thing right now. WE HAVE TO LET THE RECRUITS KNOW THAT WE ARE ALL COMMITTED TO WINNING AT TULANE. LET THEM KNOW LOUDLY TOO.

What is wrong with selling? Nothing. Get out in front, please!!!!

Post subject: Re: We Need Salesmen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:53 am 
Navigator Level

Big EZ, I agree with you. If we don't hurry up and make some sort of announcement, we will be in danger of losing several committments and future recruits. Reading The Wave Report, several committments are listening to others already and can you really blame them. We need a voice at Tulane to announce something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:11 pm 
President's Circle

Wilson among many others are staying over the weekend rather than going home to host recruits when they come in. They are the best salesmen around. They'll pull em in.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:30 pm 
Regent's Circle

I'm pretty sure that "the point man/men" & best possible salesmen would be the Tulane Admin. & Tulane Athl. Dept. Hopefully they have something to sell, if not then I understand the silence. Not a real good thing :!: Of course actions really do speak louder than words. Maybe basketball & baseball can get things moving forward.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:28 pm 
Navigator Level

We need players. We need well-coached players. We need to win games. You can't sell what you ain't got. And we ain't got a program worth zippee-dee-doo-dah right now. Can it get better? Maybe - look at Rutgers and Temple (Temple knew when to bolt to a "weaker" conference, too). These programs have something to sell right now. We have gornisht.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:49 pm 
President's Circle

DCGreenie wrote:
We need players. We need well-coached players. We need to win games. You can't sell what you ain't got. And we ain't got a program worth zippee-dee-doo-dah right now. Can it get better? Maybe - look at Rutgers and Temple (Temple knew when to bolt to a "weaker" conference, too). These programs have something to sell right now. We have gornisht.

:? Well, I would have to say that rules you out for our PR guy! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:26 pm 
Emerald Circle

We need salesmen to get the players.

Products don't sell themselves very often. You need sales, but really what I'm referring to is SMART public relations.

In athletics, college or professional, if you are not winning, you are selling the hope of winning. We need someone to sell the hope of winning to recruits, fans, the general public and, most importantly, the media.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:38 pm 
Coach Level

How about starting by selling the hope of "almost winning." We had three of those this year ("that's six wins right there"), and I see at least 5 or 6 almost wins on next year's schedule to go along with the actual wins.

We broke even this year when you include almost wins. Let's shoot to have a winning record next year including almost wins. Gotta walk before you run. 8)

Seriously I agree with you. We need someone in the hierarchy to decide that he's not embarrassed to get excited, and that he's not afraid to go out on a limb. No more half-hearted pretend-belief that crumbles at the first sign of adversity. We need the real thing.