Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

They (meaning Cowen and company, not the Athletic Department) could start by admitting, and giving all academic transfer credits, to that First Team Junior College All American Defensive Lineman that Coach Dodd referred to on Monday that wants to come to Tulane.

That would speak volumes and would be one of the strongest and easiest signals that we are serious when it comes to 1) winning and 2) competing with our peers in CUSA (such as SMU, which admits junior college players and started 3 this year, or Tulsa).

Somehow we did it for Basketball this year. We used to do it for Football (1980s) and Basketball (1990s under Perry), so it is not without precedent. Let's do it now, for football ... PLEASE.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:26 pm 
Regent's Circle

No doubt about it. A couple every yr. or so isn't going to tarnish any reputations. Also, allowing NCAA qualifiers & having a fully competent array of academic assistance for student athletes would fast-track the whole train. It doesn't take real big $$ to correct some very important things. Certainly(I hope) the Administration can see the futility of just changing coaches.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:35 pm 
Navigator Level

I think the problem is getting JUCO's whose courses will transfer into credits at Tulane. Let's say a potential JUCO candidate has an Algebra class at the JUCO, where does that transfer in at Tulane? I imagine that it does not. More importantly, even if the credits were accepted sight unseen (an NCAA violation I imagine?), what classes could this hypothetical student take?

It is easy to throw out the JUCO thing, but I believe we can have JUCOs, but it is harder to find a qualifying JUCO than it is to find a qualified incoming freshman for us.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:41 pm 
Emerald Circle

well it looks like both football and basketball are looking at Prep School kids to bring in, avoiding the whole JUCO thing. We signed Figaro in football and a young man whose name escapes me from Hargrove Military Academy where they both went after high school to beef up their academics. That may be one possible route to explore. The other requires $$$. California is brimming with JUCO players that, typically, attend schools in CA which are pretty strong academically compared to other JUCO schools nationwide. Toledo is from there, he probably still has the contacts, we just need the cash to recruit over there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

And that's where selling home games to programs like Rutgers for "Record amounts" comes in - to provide extra tools for our football program. Was that money plowed right back into football? OUr football programs should have enhanced budgets for the money lost by the end of the LSU series and moving the home game with Alabama.
A million bucks could help a thing or two (and if it really was a record amount, it was around a mill minimum).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:57 pm 
Emerald Circle

This has nothing to do with money.

It has to do with simply accepting credits from a junior college. It's an administrative accounting entry. Done, next.

Full time UC, where are you ?

A First Team Junior College All American D-Lineman ... Are you kidding me? This is like landing a kid with perfect SAT scores who is a full tuition payer ... it's a dream. Instant impact.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:10 pm 
Navigator Level

I and many other alums will oppose this - no JUCOs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

Big EZ Wave wrote:
This has nothing to do with money.

It has to do with simply accepting credits from a junior college. It's an administrative accounting entry. Done, next.

Full time UC, where are you ?

A First Team Junior College All American D-Lineman ... Are you kidding me? This is like landing a kid with perfect SAT scores who is a full tuition payer ... it's a dream. Instant impact.

Are we still in the running for him or is that done?

Well, you need money to go out to California and actively recruit. That was one thing we thought we were getting with this coach when hired.

University College takes Delgado credits.

I know Gibson Hall doesn't have much of a sense of urgency toward winning. But it's the lack of sense of urgency from the athletic department toward winning that just has me riled up. If not them, who?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:16 pm 
Emerald Circle

Have you watched the Dodd speech? If not, fast forward to the 16 minute mark and hear what he says.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:16 pm 
Coach Level

We accept JUCOs for baseball so why not football. Just keep the # limited.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

DCGreenie wrote:

we DO allow JUCOS already - better get to "opposing" to someone for the last decades :wink:

Last edited by bigmoneytx on Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

murphwave wrote:
I think the problem is getting JUCO's whose courses will transfer into credits at Tulane. .

yes DODD said that in the speech - did anyone actually listen to it or just base it off what "others" are saying?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:13 pm 
President's Circle

MNAlum wrote:

We've accepted A TON of JUCOs for baseball. Just in the last 10 years: Beau Richardson, Andrew Corona, Andrew Bouman, Kris Ponnequin, Chris Taylor, Joe Holland, Matt Riser, Jared Dyer, Connor Flynn, Drew Allain, Sam Honeck, Steve Moritz...I know I am missing a bunch too.

Now, one big issue that goes unnoticed is a lot of those guys had classes not transfer over to Tulane and they in effect had to do more school work to get by so that does come into play. But, I don't see any reason why we can't accept JUCO players.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

TU23 wrote:
MNAlum wrote:

We've accepted A TON of JUCOs for baseball. Just in the last 10 years: Beau Richardson, Andrew Corona, Andrew Bouman, Kris Ponnequin, Chris Taylor, Joe Holland, Matt Riser, Jared Dyer, Connor Flynn, Drew Allain, Sam Honeck, Steve Moritz...I know I am missing a bunch too.

Now, one big issue that goes unnoticed is a lot of those guys had classes not transfer over to Tulane and they in effect had to do more school work to get by so that does come into play. But, I don't see any reason why we can't accept JUCO players.

Thats exacly what Dodd said. Its hard and if you dont get them accepted - then their credits dont - and they have to take about 2 semesters or so of 20+ hours WHILE making the grades to stay in school and playing ball

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:03 am 
Navigator Level

Jucos cannot transfer to Tulane and play because of the same reason NCAA automatic qualifiers cannot get scholarships: the faculty.

Folks, it is faculty, who did not even attend Tulane undergrad, are running our lifeblood dry in recruiting I was told from people in the know (this is from people in the media, not from athletics people- they have to stay quiet and accept such matters). Faculty decide what credits transfer, they decide what recruit get in Tulane, they decide who is eleigble to play once they are here, and they are completely unchecked by Gibson hall as of right now.

Cowen has done nothing to stem the tide against the AD and coaches on this. So before you go condemning a guy who coached a school who is ranked 15 spots higher than Tulane academcially to two Rose Bowls and and Pac10 championships and a 20 game winning streak, or an AD who got clobbered with an arbitrary attempt to kill football by a Board memebr and his boss , then a hurricane that dispalced his entire department for a year, look at who is undercutting him and his coaches without recourse first.

"Tulane, because of ...Hurricane Katrina as well as its difficult academic entrance requirements and challenging majors, doesn't attract the typical five-star recruit and have none of those on its commitment list." Times-Picayune on Signing Day

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:37 pm 
Navigator Level

I spoke to a Board member the other night and he said it was very unlikely the University will offer any more help to athletics than it is currently giving. He said things could of course change, but unlikely. Cowen just doesn't think athletcis is a priority, plain and simple. It looks to me that the athletic department will have to make do with what it currently works with.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:43 pm 
Emerald Circle

NM

Last edited by bigmoneytx on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:46 pm 
President's Circle

I think a lot of us have been skeptical that an announcement was even going to happen and this just fuels that fire. But here's the kicker...if it's money they need to make the announcement...then ask for it. I'd be willing to bet that the reason Dickson's mute button has been pressed is that Cowen is afraid if we have a fundraising drive for a practice facility, it will garner support and with funds short for pretty much everyone, nobody is going to give to the academic side of the university.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:35 pm 
Coach Level

"I spoke to a Board member the other night and he said it was very unlikely the University will offer any more help to athletics than it is currently giving. He said things could of course change, but unlikely. Cowen just doesn't think athletcis is a priority, plain and simple."

This is saddening and sickening. The shortsightedness of Cowen is ridiculous. I can't help but feel bad for RD. He is trying to swim against the current. Hell, I feel bad for all of us if this is true.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:23 pm 
Emerald Circle

bigmoneytx wrote:
DCGreenie wrote:

we DO allow JUCOS already - better get to "opposing" to someone for the last decades :wink:

DC Greenie represents himself and no one else. He hates the idea of Tulane being in Divison One. It's not surprising that he'd take such an ill-informed stance, ignoring the presence of other JUCOs in other sports.

Last edited by long green on Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:31 pm 
Regent's Circle

God I hope so. I just don't recall being part of his survey group. :!:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

rollwave wrote:
I spoke to a Board member the other night and he said it was very unlikely the University will offer any more help to athletics than it is currently giving. He said things could of course change, but unlikely. Cowen just doesn't think athletcis is a priority, plain and simple. It looks to me that the athletic department will have to make do with what it currently works with.

I hope you are willing to put more out there on the table than that or you are adding to the laudry list of Ghost Rumors that we dont need.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:36 pm 
Regent's Circle

No doody! An unidentified "board Member" just happens to mention this to a yogwf member & then it gets posted. Pure Crap.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:44 pm 
Emerald Circle

rollwave is in one of his down periods. We need to snap him out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:02 pm 
Emerald Circle

DCGreenie wrote:
Respectfully disagree, DC. I am deeply supportive of Tulane's academic reputation and I am a Phi Beta Kappa graduate. I would support using JUCOs and improving our academic support structure for athletes, especially after reading in another thread about the current state of support from one of our former athletes.

As for transferring credits, I find it curious that it is reportedly so difficult to accomplish. Admittedly, this may be dated, but from my own experience from Junior Year Abroad at the University of Manchester, England, I took several 2nd year and 3rd year courses there (there are only 3 undergrad years in the UK)--and was just asked to write a justification, using course descriptions, that would match up with Tulane course descriptions. I took all national exams like British students did--and got full credit and grades from Tulane. Now, if we can do that with a foreign university, it cannot be rocket science to do it for Lompoc JC. The problem would come in if said transferee truly were taking basket weaving, but I would think anyone considering transfer would at least be in the same neighborhood, course-wise.