Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:07 pm 
Navigator Level

You can believe it or not, but that was his opinion and in no way will I divulge his name. Does it mean nothing will happen, perhaps not, the person I spoke to is not Scott Cowen.

Big EZ, I wish it was a down period, however that faded into reality quite awhile back.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:12 pm 
Breaker Level

JUCO's - I am an alum and I would support the transfer of those credits. A friend of mine went to Delgado JC and tranferred to Tulane right after I left because his brother was enrolled at Tulane. The Transfer student was a straight A student the entire time he was at TULANE. The individual, not the Junior College, is a key consideration and the course transfer needs to be addressed proactively. Since my Dad was on the Faculty, I understand the purist perspective relative to the impact on the integrity of the undergraduate degree.

Does anyone understand why the University College Degree was eliminated as an option for Tulane Athletes? It would the perfect solution for the transfer of JUCO's to Tulane.

Then if a JUCO cares to pursue a traditional A&S or another degree, their entire transcript could be evaluated by the appropriate Dean (relative to their potential) after they have been enrolled in UC for a semester.

Relative to Support for the Athletic Department:

All Alums who are on this Board need to respond to the telephone solicitors from Tulane that they are concerned about the lack of support the Athletic Department is getting for their physical plant requirements. The Alumni need to be heard relative to the importance Athletic Team Success has on their future support of the University. Write a letter to the Pres, Alumni Association, etc.

Call you alumni friends to have them do the same. It is time to get some momentum behind the support for the Athletic Department at Tulane by intelligently prompting folks in the administration, board and alumni associaiton to understand the ultimate benefit that may be derived from a competitive sports program at Tulane.

Just do it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:11 pm 
Emerald Circle

RI Wave, that is an EXCELLENT POST.

We need to put the full force of the alumni behind this.

THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:39 pm 
President's Circle

RI WAVE wrote:
JUCO's - I am an alum and I would support the transfer of those credits. A friend of mine went to Delgado JC and tranferred to Tulane right after I left because his brother was enrolled at Tulane. The Transfer student was a straight A student the entire time he was at TULANE. The individual, not the Junior College, is a key consideration and the course transfer needs to be addressed proactively. Since my Dad was on the Faculty, I understand the purist perspective relative to the impact on the integrity of the undergraduate degree.

Does anyone understand why the University College Degree was eliminated as an option for Tulane Athletes? It would the perfect solution for the transfer of JUCO's to Tulane.

Then if a JUCO cares to pursue a traditional A&S or another degree, their entire transcript could be evaluated by the appropriate Dean (relative to their potential) after they have been enrolled in UC for a semester.

All Alums who are on this Board need to respond to the telephone solicitors from Tulane that they are concerned about the lack of support the Athletic Department is getting for their physical plant requirements. The Alumni need to be heard relative to the importance Athletic Team Success has on their future support of the University. Write a letter to the Pres, Alumni Association, etc.

Call you alumni friends to have them do the same. It is time to get some momentum behind the support for the Athletic Department at Tulane by intelligently prompting folks in the administration, board and alumni associaiton to understand the ultimate benefit that may be derived from a competitive sports program at Tulane.

Just do it!

Great post. Personally, I think we should take this to the members of the board and absolutely flood them with calls and emails until they have no choice but to take action. Cowen doesn't care, RD is powerless without support of the admin, and the board is the only body that Cowen has to answer to. Granted, Cowen controls the board, but maybe we could create enough of a stink that they would go against Cowen's wishes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

RI WAVE wrote:

Just do it!

I want to chime in on the dito for this post. Very good post, even if you disagree with the JUCO part or not and the integrity - the best thing ever said on here in some time is about communicating our feelings of Support to the admin.

Thank you RI, it puts some things into perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:56 pm 
Regent's Circle

and all the appropriate synonyms and just blow this sucker out of the water because it's not worth my time but this one is such good fiction I have to answer it.

The JC and transfer rules that are in place for "ALL" students have been at Tulane for at least 40 years probably longer. The main rule and focus is: A class from another college or university to be eligible to transfer to Tulane has to be academically equal to the same class at Tulane. If the class isn't offered at Tulane then it cannot transfer. If the class is not the same level, same hours, with the same course description taught by a similar level professor with similar books and even a similar name then it will not transfer. This isn't a junior college issue or a transfer issue. This "concept" is used by more than 50% of universities in the US. It is not faculty or a deviant plan against athletics. It is about academic integrity and yes most of the time it works for athletic integrity. Upon occasion there is an exception. The classes and credits that can or can not transfer are almost 99.99% fit in the ruling. Less than 0.01% are decided by the “evil” faculty committees.

Moreover, FOR THE 1,000,000th TIME…..Tulane can admit "almost" any NCAA qualifier through our exception process. Admission is not the issue under the Toledo. The issue is and always has been keeping players eligible. Anyone that tells you different is feeding you a line of "media/secret board member" gibberish...