Lutcher's Webster name 'Player of the year"

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
St. Amant Wave
Breaker Level

Lutcher's Webster name 'Player of the year"

Unread post by St. Amant Wave »

Lutcher High School Gavin Webster was named State Farm Player of the Year!! Interesting article in the T-P and the Morning Advocate. I can't believe that Tulane is not after this outstanding player :oops: He could be a two-sport star for Tulane. Come on Bob, pull the trigger and offer him a schollie! You won't regret it!!!!
Wave Baseball !! Gotta Love It !!!
bigmoneytx

Re: Lutcher's Webster name 'Player of the year"

Unread post by bigmoneytx »

Lutcher quarterback Gavin Webster is Louisiana's Mr. Football for 2009
Lori Lyons, The Times-Picayune, December 26, 2009 8:32 p.m
http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/a ... -for-2009/

The "Best" HS football player in the state and he cant get any love in state or out of state - I wonder what the college coaches all over the south see on film or in person that we dont know... with his numbers - it has to be something unless it is just as simple as he wants to be a QB 100% with no exception?
He has offers from smaller colleges, including Louisiana-Monroe, Southeastern Louisiana, Louisiana-Lafayette and Nicholls State to play baseball and football -- Webster was an All-State baseball player with a .520 batting average last season -- but no big offers as a quarterback.

"I'm mystified, " Detillier said. "No matter what kind of program you have, if it's worth anything, how do you not want Gavin Webster on your roster? If you've watched any film, if you've seen him live, how do you not want him to be a part of your program -- in any capacity? He is as good as anybody I've had, and I've been blessed.

"Of course, they're not telling me, but it has to be his height. What else can it be? It can't be his speed, it can't be his grades, it can't be his play."
Wavemania
President's Circle

Maybe Mr "Indiana" Jones could give Toledo an example of the

Unread post by Wavemania »

last time Tulane had a QB come from Lutcher. :D Seriously, with the way our off scored points this past season, we should be getting a few QBs on our roster. Can always move them to another position later like WR if they don't work out.
zmanno
Navigator Level

Unread post by zmanno »

If I recall correctly the recent blue chip list in the tp indicated he had not yet "qualified" I wonder if this may be an issue behind the lack of major offers. It still may be a good move to offer, we really need playmakers.
2006grad
Coach Level

Unread post by 2006grad »

We have lost one QB from this recruiting class, so we should have a spot open for a QB. I also like the idea of him playing baseball for the Wave.
ROLL WAVE!!!!!!!
Pepper
Coach Level

Unread post by Pepper »

[quote="zmanno"]If I recall correctly the recent blue chip list in the tp indicated he had not yet "qualified" I wonder if this may be an issue behind the lack of major offers. It still may be a good move to offer, we really need playmakers.[/quote]

We are still recruiting McKnight from Curtis and according to the T/P he's not qualified yet.
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

This is "Tulane" discussion? I could post a hundred kids from Ohio that Tulane "should" recruit. Would that be "Tulane" discussion? :jerry:
Observer
President's Circle

Unread post by Observer »

Maybe.
greenaub
President's Circle

Unread post by greenaub »

He's not going to be a quarterback. How fast is he? If he's not in the 4.4's then he's not going to be a playmaker in college. On the other hand if he can fly, sign him. Looking at his tape, I don't know he's always at QB.
"Life is not fair, life can be very hard...but life is good"
Pepper
Coach Level

Unread post by Pepper »

Just food for thought:

The last time we had a heisman contender, he was a QB from Lutcher. Just saying.

More importantly, we need to sign a top player from Louisiana just to get rid of the stigma that Tulane does not sign local kids. I know we do but it's out there. Plus we always had a fan base from the river parishes and this can only help.

Correct me guys, but wasn't Elphage a do it all player in high school and when he got to Tulane he probably became the best DB we had in many years?
I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight.
greenaub
President's Circle

Unread post by greenaub »

I'm not real familiar with what is the "river parishes" but Ryan Travis will be a very good player for Tulane before its all over.
"Life is not fair, life can be very hard...but life is good"
dz
Crest Level

Unread post by dz »

I’ve seen him play 3 times, twice this year and once last year. This guy is a football player. He knows the game and is very calm on the field. The game is in slow motion for him. He had two TD runs of 80 yards against Hahnville’s fast defense, so I would say he is fast enough. Terrance Jones was not considered fast, but you could never put a hand on him in the open field and he had exceptional balance. With guys like this you throw the stop watch out the window. Coaches that get caught up in the numbers miss out on players like this all the time. Tulane should have offered him months ago.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

dz wrote:I’ve seen him play 3 times, twice this year and once last year. This guy is a football player. He knows the game and is very calm on the field. The game is in slow motion for him. He had two TD runs of 80 yards against Hahnville’s fast defense, so I would say he is fast enough. Terrance Jones was not considered fast, but you could never put a hand on him in the open field and he had exceptional balance. With guys like this you throw the stop watch out the window. Coaches that get caught up in the numbers miss out on players like this all the time. Tulane should have offered him months ago.
Now that's what I'm talking about. I'll take that TJ image with me into the new year. Be nice to have a little of that back. tks dz
jogger
Coach Level

Unread post by jogger »

>>unless TULANE switches to the spread, there is really no reason to have a discussion about gavin.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

jogger wrote:>>unless TULANE switches to the spread, there is really no reason to have a discussion about gavin.
He is hell bent on playing QB? We've had numerous HS QBs in the past that have played other positions at Tulane like Elpheage, Tristan Smith, Kendal Francis...wasn't Jerome McIntosh a HS QB?
jogger
Coach Level

Unread post by jogger »

FW wrote:
jogger wrote:>>unless TULANE switches to the spread, there is really no reason to have a discussion about gavin.
He is hell bent on playing QB? We've had numerous HS QBs in the past that have played other positions at Tulane like Elpheage, Tristan Smith, Kendal Francis...wasn't Jerome McIntosh a HS QB?

>>he wants to play qb. how it all plays out, guess we'll see soon.
dz
Crest Level

Unread post by dz »

Sign him and promise to give him a shot at QB. What could happen? 1. He turns out to be a good QB in our current system. 2. He realizes he is better off at another position. 3. His skills are so good you put in a package for him at QB. 4. He decides to transfer. My bet is it will be number 3, heck we line up in the shot gun with 3 and 4 wide most of the time anyway.
TU23
President's Circle

Unread post by TU23 »

If he's hell bent on playing QB, we should pass. He's a good (not great) athlete who doesn't fit our offense. Plus he allegedly scored tremendously low on the ACT the first time, so his eligibility is going to go down to the wire. You may hold out for a great player to gain eligibility, but not a guy like this. If I were CBT, I'd offer him a grayshirt and see how he responds.
This one belongs to the Wave.
jogger
Coach Level

Unread post by jogger »

TU23 wrote:If he's hell bent on playing QB, we should pass. He's a good (not great) athlete who doesn't fit our offense.

>>he's one of the best i've seen at lutcher.
St. Amant Wave
Breaker Level

Unread post by St. Amant Wave »

If I was Gavin, I would go somewhere where they WANT to win! Obviously Tulane is not one of those schools!!! :evil: I understand Memphis is after him. Wouldn't it be something to see him comeback in the dome and beat Tulane by throwing and running the Tigers to a victory?
Last edited by St. Amant Wave on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wave Baseball !! Gotta Love It !!!
wave4life
Trainer

Unread post by wave4life »

dz wrote:Sign him and promise to give him a shot at QB. What could happen? 1. He turns out to be a good QB in our current system. 2. He realizes he is better off at another position. 3. His skills are so good you put in a package for him at QB. 4. He decides to transfer. My bet is it will be number 3, heck we line up in the shot gun with 3 and 4 wide most of the time anyway.
I agree with you dz....I too have seen this kid play and he is awesome,we cannot pass on him. I would hate to watch this guy next season ripping teams apart(just like Damirus Johnson-Tulsa) and again say....WHAT IF he played for Tulane. I say offer the kid and promise to give him a legit shot at QB and actually give him a LEGIT SHOT AT QB. I belive everything else will work itself out.
bigmoneytx

Unread post by bigmoneytx »

Question is, with this kis reportedly not close to qualifying - do you try and fill your other very important needs (DEF/RB) first and then offer him later on or offer him now (he accepts) then you lose a spot for a Need area and then he doesnt qualify....

I am sure the coaches WANT(ed) to offer, but what would you guys do if you were in the same position? If you are a college football coach and you know that you have serious needs - do you try and at least fill those first or do you just skip all that and go try and get "player X"?

I think I would offer the #1 player in the state or MR. FOOTBALL in this state no matter what the chances are....
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

St. Amant Wave wrote:Wouldn't it be something to see him comeback in the dome and beat Tulane by throwing and running the Tigers to a victory?
"something" isn't the word I have in mind. And we've seen enough of that sort of thing anyway over the years.

A high ceiling player is exactly who we should take academic risks on. And we should recruit him on the expectation that he will qualify. However, he isn't to the point where we can use an academic exception; and per reports, this coaching staff hasn't used an exception going on 2 seasons. Thus....
Big EZ Wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Big EZ Wave »

GSx why do you keep saying no exceptions have been used in 2 years? Where are you getting that from?
The Tulane University of Louisiana
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Big EZ Wave wrote:GSx why do you keep saying no exceptions have been used in 2 years? Where are you getting that from?
One of the posters on here has said that...a couple have, actually.