Wave Report Piece on Realignment and Tulane

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
washwave
Breaker Level

Wave Report Piece on Realignment and Tulane

Post by washwave »

Go to the wave report and read the piece on Tulane and realignment (It's free). Personally, I couldn't agree more. Nice job.
randymc
President's Circle

Re: Wave Report Piece on Realignment and Tulane

Post by randymc »

except SC was right; Armageddon did not occur because there would have been too many losers -- i.e. Kansas, Baylor, KSt, etc. in addition to Tulane, the WAC, the rest of CUSA, some of the Big East, etc.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Not much in that piece to disagree with. My fear is that if/when our administration makes big plans known...the rest of the college sports world will have moved on.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Post by TPSTulane »

Great Article Scott!
My thoughts exactly! But unfortunately most of us here already know this, I just hope the powers in charge get PROACTIVE instead of being REACTIVE. I love the analogy of trying to get out of the batters box while others are on 3rd!
We need to start with adding some athletic friendly majors and constructing an indoor football practice facility. These two things are well within our reach, unlike an on-campus stadium that is just pie-in-the-sky to keep us hoping and hanging around. The only way this will happen is if someone drops a brown bag with $30 milllion cash it in (remember money in hand) on Ben Weiner Drive and RD finds it before SC does.
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

TPSTulane wrote:Great Article Scott!

We need to start with adding some athletic friendly majors and constructing an indoor football practice facility.
In the 9/30/08 "Can't Facilitate" article in the TP, "can't facilitate" referred to Scott Cowen's rejection of the football IPF. Now that's 20 months ago, and hopefully things have changed. An IPF is certainly affordable and needed. Can't we build the IPF on top of the practice facility for basketball and volleyball? Speaking of which.....

As for the stadium pie in the sky, I would offer:
JtS wrote:

Proof so far:

1. The Athletic contribution/budget from University has "at least doubled" so far.

2. Confirmation from the Administration and Athletics Department we are going to build a new stadium.

3. Confirmation the athletic-academic issues are already being addressed and admission and more important eligibility issues are being directly addressed by the University.
Sounds legit to me.
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

Isn't everything at this point for Tulane "reactive" ? I dont know - i guess it depends on who you are and how you look at the last 50 years or just the last 12 months...

Reactive or proactive - just be ACTIVE in a positive way for our future success of our students, programs, alumni and fans.

I cannot wait until we get to see some details of what they have been working on for the last year since there seems to be enough evidence out there that something is going on - someone has been making moves, being active.
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Post by TPSTulane »

GSx wrote:Proof so far:

1. The Athletic contribution/budget from University has "at least doubled" so far.

2. Confirmation from the Administration and Athletics Department we are going to build a new stadium.

3. Confirmation the athletic-academic issues are already being addressed and admission and more important eligibility issues are being directly addressed by the University.
Sounds legit to me.[/quote]

"Money in hand" BS trumps everthing............
When Tulane has $60-80 million in hand that will proof to me. When we have a ground breaking on the basketball practice facility that will be proof for me. Action not words are proof.
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

TPSTulane wrote: When Tulane has $60-80 million in hand that will proof to me. When we have a ground breaking on the basketball practice facility that will be proof for me. Action not words are proof.
I agree with that.

The next 14 days will be a good test on Dickson and Cowen's real ability to deliver: This basketball practice facility has been planned for 3 years, and isn't really even a part of the Big sea-change announcement, is scheduled to begin this month. They should be able to deliver on this and on time.

There was some great insight into the article, including how teams with far fewer "natural advantages" than TU are in far better stead; and how TU languished when N.O. was falling in love with sports post-Katrina. But we all know that. We have a reprieve and another chance. Will TU's leadership deliver this time?
Last edited by GSx on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

the problem I have with being "reactive" is that everyone left in CUSA around us (SMU, Tulsa, Houston, USM, Memphis, ECU, UCF, etc) is actively working to better their position, which almost universally means getting out of CUSA. Meanwhile we're whispering sweet nothings about a Super Secret Big Plan (which they can't divulge) and how we'll always have some of those very same schools actively working to dump us and CUSA....with us forever.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.