Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Go to the ole miss message boards. The number one way trip that has been mentioned is Tulane. I don't know numbers, and it might be much smaller than I had hoped, but there IS a lot of buzz about this away game for them.

Digression: Never use a message board to judge "buzz" unless people are quoting trustworthy facts (i.e., "I spoke with the ticket office and they are sold out!"). People who are on message boards are the diehard fans, and there are almost always a lot less of them, in the grand scheme of things, than you'd think. For example, it's very easy to start feeling like the sentiments here are the sentiments of the Tulane alumni base as a whole. We might have a 20-page thread about some event related to athletics, while 95% of the Tulane alumni base don't even know about it whatsoever. I would wager that there are thousands of Tulane alumni who don't know one little thing about the review in 2003, or that it even happened. Or, more to your point, 10 threads about how much fun a trip to NOLA would be, on an OM board, might constitute about 75 people.

But I do agree with your general points, that we are a very desirable road trip, and one that they probably are more excited about than any SEC trip. They haven't been here in a while and they always bring big numbers. And I can't believe that no one has mentioned the fact that they know they can (almost surely) come to Tulane and not worry about being cursed at, spit upon, doused in beer, or physically threatened... unlike some other relatively-nearby road trips that they do more often (or at least until they get to the Quarter after the game and run into some of those "other" fans).

And don't forget the whole sundress-wearing "cradle of Miss Americas" thing, either... Ole Miss games are the most scenic the Superdome ever gets. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
I don't know; NO is a heck of a lot closer than Knoxville. Also ( having lived in both towns) I would sure prefer a trip to New Orleans, IMHO.
I am glad you said that, AO, because the only time I was in Knoxville last year...I did not get the attraction. Nice, sure. Stadium a little unusual right next to the river. Check. "Downtown"...not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:04 pm 
Regent's Circle

Funny you mention about Neyland being next to the river (actually, at that point they call it Lake Loudoun, but I think river fits better...). There are a group of fans who have cabin cruisers and other watercraft that tie up just below Neyland. The "Vol Navy" starts partying about noon the day before a home game, stroll up to the stadium before game time (the band makes a big fuss about marching through campus leading the team to the stadium), then return after the game for more partying until they leave Sunday.

I think the current on the Mississippi would make it hard for us to equal such a task were we to have a stadium on the riverfront; there is very minimal current (hence their calling it a lake at that point).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

AO Sig wrote:
Funny you mention about Neyland being next to the river (actually, at that point they call it Lake Loudoun, but I think river fits better...). There are a group of fans who have cabin cruisers and other watercraft that tie up just below Neyland. The "Vol Navy" starts partying about noon the day before a home game, stroll up to the stadium before game time (the band makes a big fuss about marching through campus leading the team to the stadium), then return after the game for more partying until they leave Sunday.

I think the current on the Mississippi would make it hard for us to equal such a task were we to have a stadium on the riverfront; there is very minimal current (hence their calling it a lake at that point).

While I am not overly impressed with what I have seen of Knoxville (or their stadium), I have to admit that THAT is REALLY cool.

That said, you are right, it would not work here. I believe that pleasure craft are actually illegal at this point in the Mississippi, and, even if they aren't, it wouldn't be advisable (even close to shore). One is reminded of the two poor fools (and their dog) who died earlier this summer when they tried to canoe from Riverbend Park to the French Quarter.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:31 pm 
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
AO Sig wrote:

While I am not overly impressed with what I have seen of Knoxville (or their stadium), I have to admit that THAT is REALLY cool.

That said, you are right, it would not work here. I believe that pleasure craft are actually illegal at this point in the Mississippi, and, even if they aren't, it wouldn't be advisable (even close to shore). One is reminded of the two poor fools (and their dog) who died earlier this summer when they tried to canoe from Riverbend Park to the French Quarter.

Just depends on the size of your pleasure craft. My dad told me that when Alabama would come play Tulane ever other year, the Alabama governor would travel over on the state yacht for an extended weekend stay. Party on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:49 pm 
Regent's Circle

Threadjack time: Was that boat the Bama governor used owned by the state or private? My brother-in-law's partner is the republican nominee for governor. Need to start lining up my things for him to hit his partner up for! :wink: