Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:23 am 
Emerald Circle

Very well deserved, perhaps a future candidate for the "Tulane Hall of Fame" also!
Mr. Shelly is a legendary press box institution and has been an outside fixture throughout the years at Tulane basketball and football events....
Was always a volunteer, only worked for a coke and a hot dog for all those years....

http://www.nola.com/golf/index.ssf/2010 ... on_he.html

Quote:
Harold Shelly started helping out in the Tulane press box in 1955, working with sports information director Larry Karl. During his time at Tulane, Shelly did everything from keeping defensive stats to assisting with press credentials. He said in the beginning he did not have the wonders of technology to help with the work.

“I had a good pair of field glasses,” Shelly said. “I saw football through Ben Franklin glasses, and I had a fast typist by my side.”

Shelly’s involvement goes beyond his work at Tulane. Shelly, 87, worked as a member of the stat crew for the New Orleans Saints for 22 years, and handled high school football reports for The Times-Picayune for five years. Shelly also has been a member of the American Legion for 66 years.

He has volunteered his time for five Super Bowls, two Final Fours, 45 Sugar Bowls, and a host of other sporting events.

Shelly said he is thrilled by the committee’s decision to choose him for a special award.
“When I received the letter, I couldn’t believe it,” he said. “I had to read the letter twice, and choked up when I read it. I’m overwhelmed and happy as can be that they thought of me and nominated me.”

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:03 am 
Navigator Level

Agreed all the way around. Well deserved.