Fall practice

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Fall practice

Post by Cheerleader »

I can't help it, I am starting to count the days till football season starts. When do our practices start? Have there been "off-season" practices or seven on seven activities? I just haven't seen any football stories in a while and I am anxious to see our team after a full year in the new system. Watching the interview with Charles Jones got me jacked up. Somebody give me something to chew on!
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Fall practice

Post by long green »

The kids have been working out in one big group for over a month. I wish something juicy & encouraging was leaking but nothing has.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Any chance some of the freshman enrolled early to be on campus and ahead in their studies before the season starts? Is that a carryover from prior HC's or no longer stressed as much?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Perhaps one or two aren't here but they'd be the exception.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

I'm fairly certain that everyone is present and accounted for.
This one belongs to the Wave.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

there's a true freshman QB that bears keeping an eye on. When he committed some folks opined he was a perfect fit for this Offense.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

which one? McClain is a big guy who can run well enough that several solid programs wanted him as a big receiver or TE. But not as a QB. Ledford wasn't highly recruited but was a good DB earlier in HS and he can run. I will also point out on his behalf that last fall when we nudged off a QB commit to make room for Banks we didn't nudge Ledford off. I've said it before but Dane Ledford reminds me of the faceless good athletes who take over and run the option at the service academies ad infinitum.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

long green wrote:which one? McClain is a big guy who can run well enough that several solid programs wanted him as a big receiver or TE. But not as a QB. Ledford wasn't highly recruited but was a good DB earlier in HS and he can run. I will also point out on his behalf that last fall when we nudged off a QB commit to make room for Banks we didn't nudge Ledford off. I've said it before but Dane Ledford reminds me of the faceless good athletes who take over and run the option at the service academies ad infinitum.
That's a great description of Ledford - LG. Looking forward to fall practice.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

McClain. I read in a few places how he was a good recruit for us with the skill set Fritz was looking for. And quite honestly, I can see Programs backing off a kid (as a QB) who Fritz might be very happy recruiting to play QB.

EDIT- Ledford strikes me as the perfect candidate for Safety. But then what do I know :lol:
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GreenieBacker wrote:McClain. I read in a few places how he was a good recruit for us with the skill set Fritz was looking for. And quite honestly, I can see Programs backing off a kid (as a QB) who Fritz might be very happy recruiting to play QB.
well put. I think that's an advantage to running this sort offense. That hasn't happened enough yet but I think we'll make up ground as we go.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

GreenieBacker wrote:there's a true freshman QB that bears keeping an eye on. When he committed some folks opined he was a perfect fit for this Offense.
pretty sure they said the same about Darius Bradwell
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Uniform numbers for incoming Freshmen have all been issued, also Ade Aruna rocking #1 this year.
http://tulanegreenwave.com/roster.aspx?path=football
Ledford's listed at QB fwiw
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

Lots of duplicate numbers.

For instance Banks and Aruna are both #1. I guess that is fine as long as both not on field at same time.

We have two defensive players listed at #4. Not sure how that will work
Roll Wave Roll!!!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Bham Wave wrote:Lots of duplicate numbers.

For instance Banks and Aruna are both #1. I guess that is fine as long as both not on field at same time.

Maybe Tulane will follow the example of Blernsball?

"All new players' numbers are fractions as all of the whole numbers have been retired....The NNY Mets' manager can also be seen wearing number 4...."

https://theinfosphere.org/Blernsball
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Who is the true freshman quarterback being referenced above?

If someone has seen the summer workouts being coordinated by the student athletes - Any information would be appreciated.

what receiver looks particularly fast? sure handed? precise route running or other pertinent info - are the folks who were hurt last year look like they back or is there still a hitch in their stride = etc etc etc.

We are starved for info. This coaching staff at its best provides very little info - even during the season!
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

This staff is remarkable for its reluctance to put out information during its active seasons which I would say are spring practice, pre-season practice, and the season itself. Of course things pick up during the latter time but that is inescapable. On the whole it's the one thing I wish they'd change and as I've said they could improve this with very little effort and no exposure of sensitive info or data.

That being said, July has always been the time when the fan goes hungriest. There are things going on and in the past info has leaked out but more than anything else the kids are trying to get in shape for August practice.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

1309th WAVE wrote:Uniform numbers for incoming Freshmen have all been issued, also Ade Aruna rocking #1 this year.
http://tulanegreenwave.com/roster.aspx?path=football
Ledford's listed at QB fwiw
He's been listed as a QB from the moment his affiliation with Tulane became official.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Is Ledford going to be "Fudge Van Hooser 2.0" (hopefully minus the career-ending injury)? Athlete we could potentially stick anywhere, but who came as a QB?
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Bham Wave wrote:Lots of duplicate numbers.

I'm fairly certain Will Harper is wearing #25 like he did in high school (there is no #25 on the current roster). So, I think that's a mistake on the roster.
This one belongs to the Wave.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

We seriously need some reporter to break this Cone of Silence and get us excited.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

GreenieBacker wrote:We seriously need some reporter to break this Cone of Silence and get us excited.
I think that will be fearthewave next week.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

and he's great but you can't compare the level of exposure to lapsed fans, possible new fans and just sports fans in general that "big media" can still give you.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Fritz is in a hard spot. Sure, we all would like pithy public statements during the summer doldrums and manna from above telling us we'll be much much better, especially in our W/L record. But he also has to fight decades of "same ol' Tulane". Cynics will continue to say prove it. If we had won 6 last year instead of 4, I'd say he should be shouting from the rooftops.

This probably has to be the most difficult time for any program trying to turn itself around. We were close to having a better record than 4 wins but we know how far that carries. Fritz has to drag the program kicking and screaming into winning territory using 2 and 3 star recruits, in front of a small and weary fan base with little patience. I kind of see why he is so silent. Don't especially like it, but I understand.

The hardest part of momentum is the beginning.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

There isn't much Fritz can say at this time. He knows saying we will be better only goes so far and knows results are all that matter. As far as specific kids he (legally) won't have seen any of them practice until practice officially starts in August.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Coachspeak isn't really what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a reporter to tell us if the players look better conditioned and/or stronger (something Observer used to preach every year), what players look most improved, how the new players look, etc.

peek at the LSU pages on both NOLA and the Advocate, they're full of stories. About everything you could imagine.