New Football Roster is out!

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Billow
Coach Level

New Football Roster is out!

Unread post by Billow »

New roster is out a few number changes & a couple of names not on roster that I thought would be!
wave-em in
President's Circle

Re: New Football Roster is out!

Unread post by wave-em in »

GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Billow wrote:a couple of names not on roster that I thought would be!
e.g.?
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Daren Williams is the only one I noticed.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Ray
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Ray »

wave-em in wrote:Image
:lol: :lol: GAWD !!
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Why's this on the recruiting board? Asking for a friend :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

wave-em in wrote:Image
:lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote:Why's this on the recruiting board? Asking for a friend :wink:
Maybe Billow was high too? :lol:
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

I like that Aruna and Banks both have number 1. Looking forward to Aruna in the wildcat formation. ;-)
djh
Coach Level

Unread post by djh »

Billow wrote:New roster is out a few number changes & a couple of names not on roster that I thought would be!
Are we at the 85 limit?
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
long green
Cornerstone

we're a few slots under the 85 limit but nearly ten or so ahead of last year.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
green4life
Coach Level

Unread post by green4life »

long green wrote:we're a few slots under the 85 limit but nearly ten or so ahead of last year.
Wait, we actually are close to having the allowed number of players? That is good news. Depth. Depth. Depth. (even if red-gray etc shirts.)

that even makes practice better.

...i'm talking about practice.
Celebrating over 50 years as a Tulane Fan ....
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

green4life wrote:
long green wrote:we're a few slots under the 85 limit but nearly ten or so ahead of last year.
Wait, we actually are close to having the allowed number of players? That is good news. Depth. Depth. Depth. (even if red-gray etc shirts.)

that even makes practice better.

...i'm talking about practice.
https://youtu.be/exOxUAntx8I
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

I am feeling confident that this is a Bowl Team.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

I think this roster is inaccurate in re the uniform numbers.. how could an LB and safety both be number 4? Three guys with number 2??
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Johnny Mac wrote:I think this roster is inaccurate in re the uniform numbers.. how could an LB and safety both be number 4? Three guys with number 2??
The 3 guys with #2 is puzzling since the story was written about making the #2 a special number that's earned by the person who wears it. Maybe some of those are numbers that will be earned during fall practice.
Tulane Greenbackers

FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

waverider wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:I think this roster is inaccurate in re the uniform numbers.. how could an LB and safety both be number 4? Three guys with number 2??
The 3 guys with #2 is puzzling since the story was written about making the #2 a special number that's earned by the person who wears it. Maybe some of those are numbers that will be earned during fall practice.
I assume they've already decided that one of them is going to redshirt and thus it doesn't matter that he's #2

Also, quality work fellas. 4 days later, and no one has posted the link yet.
long green
Cornerstone

One of the three deuces is Corey Dauphine who is sitting this year out.

I hate the double number thing. It's driven by kids wanting a "cool" number and by the unpopularity or "ugliness" of other numbers, with the high thirties and high fifties being the most scorned. It's a curiously modern thing. Players want to look cool and the result is standing in line to stand out. If I were a coach and had an incoming player who I knew was going to be a standout I'd sell him hard on wearing an odd or offbeat number. I'd tell him that when he was done the kids behind him would fight take over his number. If I was the NCAA I'd ban double numbers for players on full rides. Then everyone would get off my lawn.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:I hate the double number thing. It's driven by kids wanting a "cool" number and by the unpopularity or "ugliness" of other numbers, with the high thirties and high fifties being the most scorned. It's a curiously modern thing. Players want to look cool and the result is standing in line to stand out. If I were a coach and had an incoming player who I knew was going to be a standout I'd sell him hard on wearing an odd or offbeat number. I'd tell him that when he was done the kids behind him would fight take over his number. If I was the NCAA I'd ban double numbers for players on full rides. Then everyone would get off my lawn.
All true, though not necessarily new. Waaaaay back when I was in school, the "cool" number in basketball (well, after #23, thanks Mr. Jordan) was double zero 00. Rayshard Allen came in and specifically insisted on single zero 0. None of us had ever seen that on a uniform before (I'm sure it had been done and I don't need the old timers to list those who wore it, but it was new to us at the time). After the initial "hmm, that's odd", I remember thinking that I appreciated that it was cool that he was "doing his own thing" and making it his own.

My jersey number was just the one I'd worn in high school, I figured, hey, it got me a college scholarship, might as well stick with it.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

... so, LG, what number are you ? :green wink:

In my basketball days, 44 was the number.
Last edited by sr on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
long green
Cornerstone

I am also wearing #2, but I am still passionately against this double and triple numbering (don't you judge me).
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:All true, though not necessarily new. Waaaaay back when I was in school, the "cool" number in basketball (well, after #23, thanks Mr. Jordan) was double zero 00. Rayshard Allen came in and specifically insisted on single zero 0. None of us had ever seen that on a uniform before (I'm sure it had been done and I don't need the old timers to list those who wore it, but it was new to us at the time). After the initial "hmm, that's odd", I remember thinking that I appreciated that it was cool that he was "doing his own thing" and making it his own.

My jersey number was just the one I'd worn in high school, I figured, hey, it got me a college scholarship, might as well stick with it.
Fans had pretty much the same reaction to Rayshard's number. Personally, I thought it was a very cool and original choice.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:All true, though not necessarily new. Waaaaay back when I was in school, the "cool" number in basketball (well, after #23, thanks Mr. Jordan) was double zero 00. Rayshard Allen came in and specifically insisted on single zero 0. None of us had ever seen that on a uniform before (I'm sure it had been done and I don't need the old timers to list those who wore it, but it was new to us at the time). After the initial "hmm, that's odd", I remember thinking that I appreciated that it was cool that he was "doing his own thing" and making it his own.

Fans had pretty much the same reaction to Rayshard's number. Personally, I thought it was a very cool and original choice.
Can't think of any "cool" 00s...think you'd have to be at least 50 to think of Robert Parish as cool.
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

ml wave wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Can't think of any "cool" 00s...think you'd have to be at least 50 to think of Robert Parish as cool.
Jim Otto the center for the Oakland Raiders also.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

MNAlum wrote:
ml wave wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:

Jim Otto the center for the Oakland Raiders also.
Yes, the kids love them some Jim Otto!