Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

1401973 wrote:
But seriously, I am just so psyched to see a Tulane team mentally and physically prepared to play and fight and WIN every week. It's been a while.
I won't sell the team short. Anything can happen from here on out.

I watched Fritz's press conference this week and the first thing he said was "We have 8 winnable games left on our schedule.(also acknowledged that if we don't play well we could lose all 8).

Such a breath of fresh air from (this is a direct quote from a former coach) "There are 10 games (out of 12) that we have a chance to win". :roll:

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:41 pm 
Coach Level

FPI update now that yesterday's results are in:

FIU: 87.6%
USF: 43.3%
Memphis: 29.5%
Cincinnati: 79.4%
ECU: 86.4%
Houston: 35.3%
SMU: 37.3%

In short, our chances of winning each game went up mostly thanks to our win, but also because some of our opponents lost. We should be heavily favored against FIU, Cinci, and ECU and that alone would be enough for a bowl. We aren't out of any of the other games either, although FPI apparently doesn't like our matchup with Memphis.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:48 pm 
Emerald Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
FPI apparently doesn't like our matchup with Memphis.

neither do I

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:02 pm 
President's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote:

In short, our chances of winning each game went up mostly thanks to our win, but also because some of our opponents lost. We should be heavily favored against FIU, Cinci, and ECU and that alone would be enough for a bowl. We aren't out of any of the other games either, although FPI apparently doesn't like our matchup with Memphis.

I'm surprised at 43% v. USF. That's encouraging. Memphis low because of an away game and short week. I like our chances vs. Houston at more than 35%, but too early.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:

I'm surprised at 43% v. USF. That's encouraging. Memphis low because of an away game and short week. I like our chances vs. Houston at more than 35%, but too early.

I'm surprised at the USF chance as well. Maybe (and I'm just guessing) the computer factors in QB rushing yards and sees we did pretty well against a QB that had a lot coming in?

Memphis can be scored on so it will be a game the offense needs to play like yesterday.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:20 pm 
Breaker Level

DrHullabaloo wrote:
Four wins: Grambling, Army, FIU, and then one of either SMU, Tulsa, or Memphis.

One more year to make it over the hump.

watched the Temple ECU game, Cincy UCF game, and the FIU MTSU game....

here's my updated thoughts...

Five wins: Grambling, Army, Tulsa, FIU, and then one of ECU or Cincy (leaning ECU).

Toss up against SMU, depends how hungry we are at that point with a bowl season on the line and if we want it more.

ECU is having a bad season, so we should be able to take advantage. Cincinnati got demolished by UCF, but Cincy was actually not terrible. So I expect them to give us a strong game. It will make for an exciting homecoming.

Memphis is having a solid season, even though two of their games got postponed so it's hard to tell. If we manage to get past Memphis, then we should be able to hang with Cincinnati and glide into bowl eligibility.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:37 pm 
Navigator Level

We bowl. IMO the two toughest games on the schedule are done - Zero U and Navy, and without sloppy kisses and affectionate hugs to the middies from the guys in the striped shirts we beat Navy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:52 pm 
Coach Level

10-2...win championship game at Yulman and go to the Peach Bowl. Then 12-2.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 pm 
Emerald Circle

Wavefan wrote:
We bowl. IMO the two toughest games on the schedule are done - Zero U and Navy, and without sloppy kisses and affectionate hugs to the middies from the guys in the striped shirts we beat Navy.

Giving it’s Timing on the schedule, time for preparation (ours vs theirs), style of their offense, and location, I think that Memphis is by far the toughest game on our schedule other than oklahoma

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:41 pm 
Regent's Circle

I've seen Houston play.. we can beat them
I've seen Memphis play... they will be very, very hard to beat.. but it can be done. They got curb stomped by UCF and UConn scored 31 on them... 24 of those points against the Memphis starters and UConn is easily one of the ten worst teams in the nation... we would need to play a perfect game, but we can beat them
USF is very good... not sure we have a chance. We represent their largest challenge so far this season. ECU scored 31 on them.. we just have to keep their offense from lighting up the scoreboard.

Everyone else on our schedule is beatable... not sure why anyone thinks SMU is that good. They aren't, plus they will be coming to play us after playing UCF, Navy and Memphis on consecutive weeks.. they may not have enough guys left to field a team.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:49 pm 
Emerald Circle

Memphis and USF are still the two teams that will be the toughest. Both are winnable, but those are two teams who I feel are still a little deeper than us. They may not out play us schematically or in hustle, but they may "out athlete"* us.

*they will be taller, faster and stronger in some spots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:57 pm 
President's Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
I've seen Houston play.. we can beat them
I've seen Memphis play... they will be very, very hard to beat.. but it can be done. They got curb stomped by UCF and UConn scored 31 on them... 24 of those points against the Memphis starters and UConn is easily one of the ten worst teams in the nation... we would need to play a perfect game, but we can beat them
USF is very good... not sure we have a chance. We represent their largest challenge so far this season. ECU scored 31 on them.. we just have to keep their offense from lighting up the scoreboard.

Everyone else on our schedule is beatable... not sure why anyone thinks SMU is that good. They aren't, plus they will be coming to play us after playing UCF, Navy and Memphis on consecutive weeks.. they may not have enough guys left to field a team.

Wait, didn't FW guarantee a win against Houston?!

We have to play our game. None of the rest of these games are a gimme. Perhaps our easiest remaining opponent, ECU, we've never beaten them in Dowdy-Ficklin. Any conference away game is tough, even SMU. I think we have a better chance against USF than Memphis because we get them at home. But no one, not even FIU, are going to be easy. Even Fritz's teams lay one egg a year. So let's take 'em one at a time.