Beat down in Norman

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
olivengreen
Navigator Level

Re: Beat down in Norman

Unread post by olivengreen »

Johnny Mac wrote:we played the number 2 team in the country.. after they figured out our offense and defense, they out-athleted us.. didn't take a lot of adjusting for them

My only problem with the game yesterday was burning McClain's redshirt... why? Game was way out of hand.. if you needed to give Banks a blow, send in Cuiellette. That was not smart by any stretch, coach. That series was reminiscent of sending in Brantley last year for a series (when he didn't start)... aka useless.

Glad we left the game without any significant injuries.

Well.... Cuiellette will not be here next year.... McClain was able to get his feet wet on the road against the number 2 team in the nation with no rel pressure to win the game.

Banks and Brantley should both be back next year and who is to say that McClain can't red shirt next year?

I find nothing wrong with the move....
Proud member of the Greenbackers!!!!!
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Unread post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Johnny Mac wrote:we played the number 2 team in the country.. after they figured out our offense and defense, they out-athleted us.. didn't take a lot of adjusting for them

My only problem with the game yesterday was burning McClain's redshirt... why? Game was way out of hand.. if you needed to give Banks a blow, send in Cuiellette. That was not smart by any stretch, coach. That series was reminiscent of sending in Brantley last year for a series (when he didn't start)... aka useless.

Isn't there something about if a player plays in less than X amount of plays in the first Y amount of games they can still be redshirted at the end of the year? Maybe it only applies to medical redshirts
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Can we please burn the gray unis now? Please!
Last edited by TUPF on Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

OGSB wrote:
Judging only from these highlights, our DC should be taken to the woodshed by WF. He was totally out-coached by the OU OC. Too many times our guys were out of position, plain and simple. I guess the fact that Teamer was out really hurt the D's coordination. Long pass plays where the receiver is 15+ yards away from anyone is just a breakdown. And it happened over and over.

As for the lack of a passing game, I won't wave the white flag until we really see what Banks can do. Like some others on the board, I'm wondering if he was wearing a flak jacket and how his ribs were hurt if he was. If not, well, that's just stupid. We may not need him against Army, unless of course Brantley is hurt. But we need to see if Banks can effectively throw the football before too much longer--we'll need it when we play in the AAC. Like Tulsa. I want to beat those guys--badly. Our run game is not good enough to beat teams one-dimensionally. IMHO, Banks can throw and we just haven't seen enough of him yet. Just average 150 passing yards/game and we'll be OK.

Beat Army.
Plan your work, work your plan.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Anybody who thinks we are running a three yards and a cloud of dust offense, or an antiquated offense, obviously doesn't understand our offense.

The problem though is that Fritz hasn't had the qb and ol to throw The way his offense needs to in order to be successful. With banks injured and playing the number two team in the nation it is impossible to know if this is still a problem Let's hope to get banks back soon and hope he can pass

If we can't get the personnel to run this offense effectively soon however, there may be trouble. Our opponents will successfully mis-brand our offense (aided apparently by our own fans) making it harder to recruit the type of athletes we need to run our offense
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Bham Wave »

Better athletes make folks look bad and on that highlight package that is what you see over and over again. Our defenders were always a step or two slower than them and it killed us. We were frequently lunging to try and tackle and DB's were out of position on numerous passes.

Maybe I am old school but throwing a bomb up 49-14 with 2 min left is classless BS and a punk move by their coach. What goes around comes around....
Roll Wave Roll!!!
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

We didn't learn a lot.

O-line looked a little better, but without the passing threat, they're going to struggle.

Why no passing threat? Brantley looked fine passing, but I think he dinged that shoulder again. And we know Fritz doesn't usually let his backup QB air it out. McClain probably hasn't had the reps to pass reliably. He is a frosh, after all. If Brantley has hurt the shoulder again, McClain will get passing reps, but the offense will look pretty vanilla again.

Remember, we haven't started the season this year or last with anyone who has had experience throwing in this system, and there have been plenty injuries.

On defense, we are still behind in recruiting on the d line and the secondary. Corners aren't able to disrupt routes at the los, and safeties are getting pulled out of position or not rotating. That's a mix of concerns about ability, and lack of QB pressure reveals it all. We didn't harass the QB but a handful of times yesterday. Maybe that will change against lesser o lines; maybe it won't.

I am a little worried about Wilson, who took a head shot late in the game. I hope that's not serious and he is in form for army. We don't have depth in the interior d line. Wish we had an off week now.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Fan Since '54 wrote:Offensively there are obviously two ways to move the football, the run and the pass. We have hired a coach who knows how to develop the run. Good. But in today's game you must, MUST be able to throw the ball effectively. We will never be able to compete with "the big boys" until we can develop that aspect of the game, and not just because we need to be able to do it ourselves. If you can't throw the ball effectively you can't defend the throw effectively. Why? Simple. If there is no one who can threaten your defense in practice, you are gonna be eaten up in real games by someone who can throw it.

We are running the "three yards and a cloud of dust" offense. It is from the '40s and '50s. You simply can not do it in the 21st century and expect to win on a consistent basis. You need a multi threat offense in this day and age. And you need to be able to stop the other guys multi threat offense. :roll:

Fan since '54
Fritz's offense (when effective) is designed to set up big runs (unlike the 3yds and a cloud of dust variety of yesteryears) and has always been pass heavy (Ga Southern excluded) because of the ability to run, but he can't call pass plays without an effective passer. It has been nice watching Brantley run the option, but we need Banks' passing.

2 key components of this (any) offense is a QB and O line. We may have a QB, but still building an o line.

btw, my cousin was at the game and a guy next to him commented on the QB play and couldn't believe K-State let him go. My cousin had to explain that was our second string.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
djh
Coach Level

Unread post by djh »

Bham Wave wrote:Maybe I am old school but throwing a bomb up 49-14 with 2 min left is classless BS and a punk move by their coach. What goes around comes around....
You are right, just ask Paul Dietzel (sp) or is he still alive?
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

I was going to pay you a compliment about your dress yesterday but thought it would have been weird to come to you and say something .
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Bham Wave wrote:Better athletes make folks look bad and on that highlight package that is what you see over and over again. Our defenders were always a step or two slower than them and it killed us. We were frequently lunging to try and tackle and DB's were out of position on numerous passes.

Maybe I am old school but throwing a bomb up 49-14 with 2 min left is classless BS and a punk move by their coach. What goes around comes around....
Not only were they faster, their receivers were bigger making it even harder to guard.

Strongly agree about the cheap score. I know it's the back up QB but we had back up defenders in playing to stop the run not expecting a long pass with 2 mins left. The good news is they needed that to score 50+ pts on us :mrgreen:
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Wandering Quaker wrote:We didn't learn a lot.

O-line looked a little better, but without the passing threat, they're going to struggle.

Why no passing threat? Brantley looked fine passing, but I think he dinged that shoulder again. And we know Fritz doesn't usually let his backup QB air it out. McClain probably hasn't had the reps to pass reliably. He is a frosh, after all. If Brantley has hurt the shoulder again, McClain will get passing reps, but the offense will look pretty vanilla again.

Remember, we haven't started the season this year or last with anyone who has had experience throwing in this system, and there have been plenty injuries.

On defense, we are still behind in recruiting on the d line and the secondary. Corners aren't able to disrupt routes at the los, and safeties are getting pulled out of position or not rotating. That's a mix of concerns about ability, and lack of QB pressure reveals it all. We didn't harass the QB but a handful of times yesterday. Maybe that will change against lesser o lines; maybe it won't.

I am a little worried about Wilson, who took a head shot late in the game. I hope that's not serious and he is in form for army. We don't have depth in the interior d line. Wish we had an off week now.
I think the D line, Aruna in particular, will be better against just about every remaining OL we play. Wilson has been getting banged up each game and that is very concerning.

One other thing I noticed was Sample's name being mentioned a few times on plays.
Tulane Greenbackers

DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

windywave wrote:
I was going to pay you a compliment about your dress yesterday but thought it would have been weird to come to you and say something .
If it ever sees a win I'm going to collect signatures on it and frame it.
windywave
Emerald Circle

DrHullabaloo wrote:
windywave wrote:
Best make sure you bring a change of clothes to every game then.
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

DrHullabaloo wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sure would be nice to have a ticket stub and photo of the horseshoe scoreboard in that frame next September...
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

waverider wrote: The good news is they needed that to score 50+ pts on us :mrgreen:
and it wasn't enough because Clemson leapfrogged over them to number 2
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:

Isn't there something about if a player plays in less than X amount of plays in the first Y amount of games they can still be redshirted at the end of the year? Maybe it only applies to medical redshirts
Yeah, that's only if they get hurt
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Or DBs could not cover an OU receiver to save their lives. It's a good thing lamb got booted so early, he was tearing it up. Literally 60% of the time they had an uncovered (no one within 10 years) every time.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:
windywave wrote:
Sure would be nice to have a ticket stub and photo of the horseshoe scoreboard in that frame next September...
I have begun investigating flags with aluminum guides (like for the flag on the moon) just in case
#cousins don't count
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

I think the fact that McClain came in unnecessarily (presuming Brantley was healthy) is pretty telling...I'm going to guess that Fritz is aware of the redshirt rules, so either Banks will be out longer than we think, he wasn't thrilled with Banks to begin with, or he just really likes McClain and wants to get his feet wet so he can take over asap.
djh
Coach Level

Unread post by djh »

It is my understanding that a player needs to play in 3 games or more in order to burn a redshirt. I could be wrong. Can anyone clarify this for me?
'Character is who you are, reputation is what others THINK you are.'
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

djh wrote:

It is my understanding that a player needs to play in 3 games or more in order to burn a redshirt. I could be wrong. Can anyone clarify this for me?
No, you're correct but nowadays they have to also have a documented injury if they play in any games.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

ml wave wrote: No, you're correct but nowadays they have to also have a documented injury if they play in any games.
Yup. Kind of like how we found a way to document Devon Powell's "injury" after he started against Ole Miss his freshman year :angel:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
charlamange8
Navigator Level

Unread post by charlamange8 »

Ok here are the take aways…
Step back from the ledge, OU is better and 98 out of 100 times they will win…by a lot.

We played without our starting QB and starting FS, and I know some of those coverages were blown where a bit veteran presence communicating properly would have helped. Would that have happened with Teamer in the game...probably not?

With our backup QB in the game we went down the field and scored twice on the Sooners, and if Brantley looks playside on that pick-six (we had a guy running open across the middle) it may be 3 scores. That to me shows that our boys were prepared, motivated and ready to play.

2nd half, well they have a lot of 4 and 5* players, and it showed. And yes their coaches made adjustments, our tool box, especially with a backup QB making his third FBS start, not soo much.

The defense forced two turnovers and forced two OU punts when the game was still in doubt…although I think they got a little down after the score hit 35-14.

NO SERIOUS INJURIES!!!!

We have a four week stretch of Army, Bye, FIU and Tulsa…three winnable games which will decide our season.

McClain (and Ledford) can still be redshirted provided they do not play in 30% of the snaps in the season or 3 games. So don't be surprised if he gets in the next couple of games then disappears.

Oh and the gray pants will be back soon baby, bwhahahha!
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price." - Sun Tzu