Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane talk forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 am 
Coach Level

enviro5609 wrote:
Agreed. For better or worse this isn’t 2014s schedule. There are no North Texases on the schedule to make up for a loss to Southern Alabama.

Also, we beat Tulsa that year.

That year(2013 btw)North Texas was 9-4 and Tulsa was 3-9 and we were all in the same conference. Also South Al finished 6-6 in the sunbelt. UNT was one of the better teams we played.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 am 
Emerald Circle

enviro5609 wrote:
Agreed. For better or worse this isn’t 2014s schedule. There are no North Texases on the schedule to make up for a loss to Southern Alabama.

I certainly agree with you about the schedule. 2013 contained many soft spots and was the weakesr schedule that Tulane played in probably 100 years. However this team is much better than the 2013 team. In fact I’m not sure that 2013 team was significantly better than 2014 or 2016 (or even 2015, had it not lost heart).
Now if I am wrong in this team is basically the same as we’ve had for the last four seasons, then Tulsa absolutely is a must win no going back.

Last edited by GSx on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:17 am 
Navigator Level

Poseidon wrote:
enviro5609 wrote:

That year(2013 btw)North Texas was 9-4 and Tulsa was 3-9 and we were all in the same conference. Also South Al finished 6-6 in the sunbelt. UNT was one of the better teams we played.

2013. Right.

I always get that confused, not sure why.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:19 am 
Emerald Circle

At this point I feel a bowl is crucial for the express reason that it shows progress and will help recruiting. The extra practice and potential payout is gravy. If we fail to make a bowl playing our schedule, no matter how good the opponents might turn out (the time old Tulane tradition of excusing away losses to nobodies because "oh, they had a good year and weren't that bad") our recruiting will struggle to improve as necessary. A bowl shows recruits that Fritz's "we are going to be a winner, come help us take the next step" isn't just recruiting BS.

I've never been a fan of how many bowls there are and how many bad teams make bowls, but his year I think we really need a bowl, even if we're beating a bunch of terrible teams to get 6 wins and squeak in. It's all recruiting "optics".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:21 am 
Navigator Level

For those who are worried, they should be able to get the game in based on latest forecasts, assuming they hold. It will be close.

Most likely:

Earliest reasonable:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:17 pm 
Regent's Circle

Hopefully this storm continues to move at a high rate of speed. If it slows down in forward movement, could be an issue. As Nash Roberts would always report - 'the storm will turn a bit to the East as it approaches land'. Miss your felt pen forecasts Mr. Roberts. Don't think you ever missed one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:53 am 
Regent's Circle

sr wrote:
Hopefully this storm continues to move at a high rate of speed. If it slows down in forward movement, could be an issue. As Nash Roberts would always report - 'the storm will turn a bit to the East as it approaches land'. Miss your felt pen forecasts Mr. Roberts. Don't think you ever missed one.

I love how they would wheel Nash out of his retirement home whenever a storm threatened New Orleans because as you mentioned, he never missed. None of those highly edumacated new fangled meteorologists with their fancy gadgets could out felt tip pen ol' Nash.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:00 am 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
It won't be easy because it's never easy but apart from that we're playing a team with their backs squarely against the wall. To have any sort of season at all, Tulsa has to beat us Saturday. I hope at the end of the game I'm able to say "Demaris Johnson is not walking through that door. Nor is Alex Singleton, nor is Dexter McCoil."

I was wrong. That was really easy. And no, none of those three LA natives are walking through that door.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:23 am 
President's Circle

I tried to tell people all off-season that he word coming from Tulsa is that the team was going to be bad. They are even worse than expected. Phil Montgomery made the wrong QB decision and his lack of a defense and inability to recruit is showing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:33 am 
Emerald Circle

They can walk the QB thing back but if Montgomery is frittering away BILL BLANKENSHIP'S recruiting then things are grim indeed. Good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5