Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane talk forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:35 am 
Navigator Level

Roller wrote:
Too many people seem to analyze upcoming games on the basis of how we've done in the past decade and a half, holding their breath that perhaps we really have turned a corner. Dwelling on where we were does not help us advance.

If we really have turned a corner, then what happened in the past is no longer visible. We have to look at what lies before us.

Tulane has made a multitude of changes in the past couple of years, and they are all positive changes. I prefer to see us as on the path to glory than to dwell on the idea that we are trying to climb out of the pits. The Wave needs to approach this game with the intention and confidence of running roughshod over them. We are much better than they are, "Negative Nellies" notwithstanding.

I'm vacillating between your above sentiments and my Negative Nelly on the other shoulder. Just see my posts about the game over the last week. First, it was we should clobber them, then it was maybe we can squeak one out. I guess conditioned by Lucy pulling the ball away for 50 years. I will do my best to continue to move toward the light :-)
Roll Wave!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:36 am 
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Pete, I dont expect you to remember (or even read) everything I post. I do expect you to not blatantly make things up.

I don't know, it's kind of his new thing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:52 am 
Coach Level

For what it's worth, I dreamed last night about the Tulsa game. We scored two touchdowns on runs, kicked a field goal, and shut Tulsa out. With the score 17-0 in the fourth quarter, Tulsa started passing every down. Teamer intercepted one and ran it back for a TD, so the final score was 24-0. I rarely have specific dreams like that, but there it is.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:55 am 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Pete, I dont expect you to remember (or even read) everything I post. I do expect you to not blatantly make things up.

Apparently I was wrong about him being the one focusing on wins until bowl eligibility. I guess I only notice patterns when they are constant, daily, and without digression.

BTW, Prof, nothing after the first sentence was directed at you at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:56 am 
Emerald Circle

Cheerleader wrote:
For what it's worth, I dreamed last night about the Tulsa game. We scored two touchdowns on runs, kicked a field goal, and shut Tulsa out. With the score 17-0 in the fourth quarter, Tulsa started passing every down. Teamer intercepted one and ran it back for a TD, so the final score was 24-0. I rarely have specific dreams like that, but there it is.

If that actually happens, expect calls regarding the Powerball numbers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:56 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:

Fair enough. I mostly realized that, but felt it was worth talking about (because we agree)

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:48 pm 
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:
Cheerleader wrote:

If that actually happens, expect calls regarding the Powerball numbers.
I'll even send you some pills to help you sleep, so you can dream more! ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:16 pm 
Navigator Level

This is related to this week's game.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... production

as Tulsa is mentioned... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:35 pm 
President's Circle

So LSU paid Troy $985K, how much did OU pay Tulane?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:47 pm 
Emerald Circle

Man in Green wrote:

The number went public when the series was first announced. It wasn't a tiny number but not nearly as big because it's part of a two for one rather than a rent a win. Us getting a home game means less money in the payout

A better question for comparison would be how much Ohio State is paying us next year or Auburn in a few years

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:01 pm 
Regent's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Man in Green wrote:

The number went public when the series was first announced. It wasn't a tiny number but not nearly as big because it's part of a two for one rather than a rent a win. Us getting a home game means less money in the payout

A better question for comparison would be how much Ohio State is paying us next year or Auburn in a few years

OSU is ~1.6MM and Auburn is ~1.9MM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:02 pm 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
ml wave wrote:
WaveProf wrote:

Apparently I was wrong about him being the one focusing on wins until bowl eligibility. I guess I only notice patterns when they are constant, daily, and without digression.

Guess so!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:24 pm 
Navigator Level

Man in Green wrote:

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... payou.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 pm 
Emerald Circle

1.2 M is a pretty sweet contract when its part of a 2-1. Good job Rick Dickson (in this limited context).

Still less than we are getting from OSU and Auburn, because of their status as a rent a win (though I'd love to make them a rent a loss like Troy did to LSU)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:37 pm 
Coach Level

They are paying for a rent a win. Caveat Emptor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:51 pm 
Regent's Circle

Man in Green wrote:

add to that the $12 million it's going to cost them to buy out Orgeron and it was a nearly $13 million dollar homecoming.. last school I think that paid that much for homecoming was Faber after the destruction of the downtown area during the parade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:02 pm 
President's Circle

I have been waiting 15 years for lsu to start having to eat these big contacts. If they have to pay Coach O $12 mill to be done with him, they still have to buy out another coach and pay him big bucks. I'm guessing they will have to cough up $20 mill when it's all said and done. Lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:14 pm 
Coach Level

JMac, your post above made me spit out my drink in laughter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

three wins at this point in the season sets us up for a 6 win season and a Bowl. Big game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:17 pm 
Emerald Circle

This is a big game.
But Tulsa isn't any good, so this isn't a corner-turner. If we blow them out, that will show something. But as of now, we are on a grind to get 6 or 7 wins and this game looks to be tough, but an essential in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:26 pm 
Regent's Circle

Looking at the Tropics ...

https://twitter.com/NWSHouston/status/915319358804590593

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
This is a big game.
But Tulsa isn't any good, so this isn't a corner-turner. If we blow them out, that will show something. But as of now, we are on a grind to get 6 or 7 wins and this game looks to be tough, but an essential in.

Put it this way: if we can't beat Tulsa, are there four other teams remaining on our schedule who are worse and more likely for us to beat? No. There are three.

Yeah, we can lose to a bad team but then upset a better team to get even. But looking at who is left, if we're not good enough to beat Tulsa, we're likely not good enough to upset any of the opponents against which we'll be an underdog.

Beat Tulsa.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 pm 
Emerald Circle

Man in Green wrote:
I have been waiting 15 years for lsu to start having to eat these big contacts. If they have to pay Coach O $12 mill to be done with him, they still have to buy out another coach and pay him big bucks. I'm guessing they will have to cough up $20 mill when it's all said and done. Lovely.

They also pay Les Miles $135k per MONTH as part of his buyout. Obviously they have the donors to pony up $12 million, but at that point will they be able to get a high profile coach on a cash strapped State's payroll?

"We've got to raise the expectation here and start winning." Willie Fritz

"Coaching can only do so much. If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 pm 
President's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
GSx wrote:
This is a big game.

Put it this way: if we can't beat Tulsa, are there four other teams remaining on our schedule who are worse and more likely for us to beat? No. There are three.

Yeah, we can lose to a bad team but then upset a better team to get even. But looking at who is left, if we're not good enough to beat Tulsa, we're likely not good enough to upset any of the opponents against which we'll be an underdog.

Beat Tulsa.

Tulsa has their usual flock of big, tall receivers. That worries me more than anything because nobody not named Parry has shown any ability to cover anyone so far.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:38 pm 
Crest Level

waverider wrote:
Man in Green wrote:

They also pay Les Miles $135k per MONTH as part of his buyout. Obviously they have the donors to pony up $12 million, but at that point will they be able to get a high profile coach on a cash strapped State's payroll?

I don't believe any of their athletic salaries come from state funds. Their TAF takes care of that and of paying buyouts. Having said that their TAF donors are going to be stretched mighty thin if they follow what they are paying Miles with having to pay even more to O. So the point holds that they are stuck for at least one more year and more likely at least two if not three.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next