Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:31 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5062
We saw what Fritz ball is on offense when operating on all cylinders. DB issue looked bizarrely bad. I assume we'll hear more next week on that. I'm assuming (hoping?) it can be fixed by coaching. (To be fair to the players maybe some of those mis-plays were caused by coaching?) It could simply have been we won't let Tulsa beat us running and they didn't, so who cares.

At some point, Tulane will need someone to kick a field goal when it matters. Today would have been a good game to practice that.

Regardless great game by the Wave. Congrats to all. As noted above, may this be just the first installment of repaying Tulsa for the last decade of beatdowns.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:33 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 12970

_________________
He was in


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:49 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:39 pm
Posts: 3210
Location: Montgomery, AL
I wish I could have been there :jerry:

_________________
"Life is not fair, life can be very hard...but life is good"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:51 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 6690
Location: Charlotte
Tito wrote:
Tulsa may indeed be bad, but we took advantage and never gave them hope. They looked ready to leave yesterday.


I was only able to watch about 5 minutes of the game.. apparently right before I tuned in, the announcer asked if Tulsa was even trying to tackle anyone... my buddy said it looked like they had been out on Bourbon St all night.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:53 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2286
On the downside, I was still a block and a half from my house when the rain started.

The first half has to be pretty far up the list of best halves we've ever played.

The amazing thing to me was that sitting in the stands it felt routine.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:57 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 1750
Location: Pass Christian, MS
That was a great game. As others have mentioned, the rain held off perfectly. I was one block from the Loyola garage when the sky broke open....
How refreshing to beat the he!! out of someone we should beat the he!! out of....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:12 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm
Posts: 5901
Location: Dripping Springs
Super win. Great effort. DB's need another adjustment session.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:16 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 404
Johnny Mac wrote:
Tito wrote:
Tulsa may indeed be bad, but we took advantage and never gave them hope. They looked ready to leave yesterday.


I was only able to watch about 5 minutes of the game.. apparently right before I tuned in, the announcer asked if Tulsa was even trying to tackle anyone... my buddy said it looked like they had been out on Bourbon St all night.

The Tulsa players were amazed how many yards our running backs made after initial contact


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:30 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24267
Location: New Orleans
Damn that was wonderful. Dear, Tulsa, "we didn't want to be out there" is a much worse admission than "they kicked our @sees."

The breakdowns deep are fixable. The first looked like Kuerschen having a breakdown. I give that backup QB some credit for recognition & good throws. He should start from now on.

Next week we play a team that is physically inferior to Tulsa but they won't lay down like Tulsa.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:15 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 12970
Baywave1 wrote:
DB issue looked bizarrely bad. I assume we'll hear more next week on that. I'm assuming (hoping?) it can be fixed by coaching.


It's been happening all season though. Navy couldn't take advantage and we just assumed Oklahoma was simply on another dimension.

_________________
He was in


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:17 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:17 pm
Posts: 327
Location: River Ridge
The saftey coverage was the issue today. Every big pass play was when they found the match up on one of the 2 safety’s. That was the match up they wanted and rarely got it. The one in the first quarter, Nickerson was left guarding 2 players when no one shifted to pick up the slot after he motioned over to his side. Nothing he could do. Just bad communication on that one. The others were fixed when we had a DB covering the WRs. They will fix that!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:35 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 12970
OGSB wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
DB issue looked bizarrely bad. I assume we'll hear more next week on that. I'm assuming (hoping?) it can be fixed by coaching.


It's been happening all season though. Navy couldn't take advantage and we just assumed Oklahoma was simply on another dimension.


OTOH, dropped passes has been a problem this season too and I don't think we had one today.

_________________
He was in


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:04 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 12970
Advocate:

Tulane revels in early wakeup call

Tulane 62, Tulsa 28: Guerry Smith's top three thoughts

Walker: Rise and shine, Tulane in rare form in rout of Tulsa

Tulane flirts with offensive records, blows away Tulsa 62-28

_________________
He was in


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:11 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20102
Location: North Kenner
MattK wrote:
On the downside, I was still a block and a half from my house when the rain started.

The first half has to be pretty far up the list of best halves we've ever played.

The amazing thing to me was that sitting in the stands it felt routine.

The rain held off until the walk back to the car but it's a lot more tolerable after winning a conference game 62-28! (We stopped under a building to put on ponchos).

Regarding the secondary, Chase made a nice play on the INT but then got caught looking in the backfield. We were in obvious run stop mode with a lot of man coverage, but if we are going to do that, we need faster DBs and the ones we have need to play their man and not get caught looking.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:16 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 12970
TP: Early start doesn't phase Tulane en route to dominant 62-28 win over Tulsa

_________________
He was in


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:18 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20102
Location: North Kenner
chigoyboy wrote:
The saftey coverage was the issue today. Every big pass play was when they found the match up on one of the 2 safety’s. That was the match up they wanted and rarely got it. The one in the first quarter, Nickerson was left guarding 2 players when no one shifted to pick up the slot after he motioned over to his side. Nothing he could do. Just bad communication on that one. The others were fixed when we had a DB covering the WRs. They will fix that!

You bring up a good point. When they were in obvious passing mode late, we took Chase out and went 5 DBs.

Another problem was not getting enough pressure on the QB.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:51 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19173
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Johnny Mac wrote:
apparently right before I tuned in, the announcer asked if Tulsa was even trying to tackle anyone...

Watch the game highlights posted above, the guy says it right after one of our touchdowns.

OGSB, is your new signature from a Tulsa message board, by any chance? :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 12970
PeteRasche wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:
apparently right before I tuned in, the announcer asked if Tulsa was even trying to tackle anyone...

Watch the game highlights posted above, the guy says it right after one of our touchdowns.

OGSB, is your new signature from a Tulsa message board, by any chance? :lol:


:-) Good reading over there today

_________________
He was in


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:25 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2286
long green wrote:
Damn that was wonderful. Dear, Tulsa, "we didn't want to be out there" is a much worse admission than "they kicked our @sees."



Did someone on their team admit that or is that just your (totally justifiable) observation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Damn that felt good
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:45 pm 
Offline
Head Trainer

Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:58 pm
Posts: 51
Location: Davidson, NC
Sticking with the Wave through our lean years..... this feels really good. I actually expect to win next week, rather than optimistically feel like the team has a chance not to screw it up.

But there is always a little PTSD in there.... after all, didnt Tulsa snatch victory from us last year? When Tulsa scored the second touchdown today, even with our lead, i must admit i felt a little sphincter tightening.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:48 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20014
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
OGSB wrote:

:-) Good reading over there today

Link?

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:57 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 12970
https://tulsa.forums.rivals.com/forums/tu-football.8/

_________________
He was in


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Damn that felt good
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:04 pm 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20102
Location: North Kenner
Carolina Greenie wrote:
Sticking with the Wave through our lean years..... this feels really good. I actually expect to win next week, rather than optimistically feel like the team has a chance not to screw it up.

But there is always a little PTSD in there.... after all, didnt Tulsa snatch victory from us last year? When Tulsa scored the second touchdown today, even with our lead, i must admit i felt a little sphincter tightening.....

I want to say Tulsa lead 31-7 at the half last year. According to the Rod Walker story linked above, Tulsa won 52-27.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:39 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 12970
The view from Tulsa:

TU (sic) at Tulane: Green Wave overwhelm Hurricane in early kickoff in New Orleans

Tulsa at Tulane notebook: Manny Bunch injured while Jesse Brubaker returns

Tulsa at Tulane game pulse: Tulsa was 0-for-7 on third-down conversion

_________________
He was in


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:54 am 
Online
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20102
Location: North Kenner
OGSB wrote:
As bad as the DBs looked, and our 3rd down defense has been a nightmare for years (regardless of how good or bad Tulsa is), that is good to see. Shutting teams out on 3rd down will help win a lot of games.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], TulaneRebel and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group