The DEFINITIVE Tulane talk forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Damn that felt good
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:24 am 
Breaker Level

waverider wrote:
Carolina Greenie wrote:
Sticking with the Wave through our lean years..... this feels really good. I actually expect to win next week, rather than optimistically feel like the team has a chance not to screw it up.

But there is always a little PTSD in there.... after all, didnt Tulsa snatch victory from us last year? When Tulsa scored the second touchdown today, even with our lead, i must admit i felt a little sphincter tightening.....

I want to say Tulsa lead 31-7 at the half last year. According to the Rod Walker story linked above, Tulsa won 52-27.

Previous season 2015. It was the home game after Thanksgiving. They finally played Jordy Joseph and he was awesome, giving us hope right till the end. That was a great loss. And one of my most memorable games to chronicle http://hullabaloohuddle.blogspot.com/2015/11/oh-what-could-have-been.html

Post subject: Re: Tulane 62 Tulsa 28
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:51 am 
Emerald Circle

Tulsa smacked us during each of the 5 years of Toledo, as well as Scelfo's last year and CJ's first and Fritz's first.
The exceptions were 2013 victory and the 2014 and 2015 fluke losses (missing chip shot FG; 2 pick 6s in the last 4 minutes).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:32 am 
Emerald Circle

For frick sake stop bellyaching about the past when we did not have a professional coach, and focus on the fact we blew their doors off and if our secondary played better we would have shut them out.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:05 pm 
Trainer

No belly aching' from me- you'll see that I said I was really enjoying this.

But, I can't be the only one who saw the second bomb touchdown pass and have a brief PTSD flashback of prior blown leads.
My rational brain said- we've got a great lead and they can't stop our second string offense, let alone our starters.
The scarred emotional part of my brain had its hair on fire. Enough to cloud my memory on reality.

But it's all good man....it's all good........ namaste........ serenity in....anxiety out..........

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:09 pm 
Breaker Level

:roll:

Not a belly ache. It's measuring where we've been and savoring the win even more. They were SO overdue for a beat down.

Every time I look at Devon Walker I think about how they were going for a garbage TD's seconds away from the half when the game was already getting out of reach for us.

And their classless fans (every team has them) yelling crap at Tulane fans and parents after games. I went to two or three away games in Tulsa and that was plenty enough for me. It's like mini LSU. And that stupid sideline coach yelling at us in Yulman to Shut the F*ck up about them peeing directly right in front of us. It might just be one game, but it was high time to return the favor. And we did so with class. Glad the only thing they got hurt was their pride.

I want everyone in our conference to be good, and to beat other Non conference teams, so I don't want Tulsa to regress. They obviously need a coaching change or something. My personal opinion at the time they were added was that they were a poor choice for the AAC because they have a garbage market. But I wasn't privy to the reasoning on that choice (ditto Wichita if you ask me). Maybe it was a foothold in the Big 12 footprint? Who knows. Anyways, wish you well Tulsa - hope you get your act together!

#BeatFIU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:18 pm 
Coach Level

DrHullabaloo wrote:
:roll:

Not a belly ache. It's measuring where we've been and savoring the win even more. They were SO overdue for a beat down.

Every time I look at Devon Walker I think about how they were going for a garbage TD's seconds away from the half when the game was already getting out of reach for us.

And their classless fans (every team has them) yelling crap at Tulane fans and parents after games. I went to two or three away games in Tulsa and that was plenty enough for me. It's like mini LSU. And that stupid sideline coach yelling at us in Yulman to Shut the F*ck up about them peeing directly right in front of us. It might just be one game, but it was high time to return the favor. And we did so with class. Glad the only thing they got hurt was their pride.

I want everyone in our conference to be good, and to beat other Non conference teams, so I don't want Tulsa to regress. They obviously need a coaching change or something. My personal opinion at the time they were added was that they were a poor choice for the AAC because they have a garbage market. But I wasn't privy to the reasoning on that choice (ditto Wichita if you ask me). Maybe it was a foothold in the Big 12 footprint? Who knows. Anyways, wish you well Tulsa - hope you get your act together!

#BeatFIU

Some friends of mine here on the Gulf Coast of Florida went to the Army game...he was a former Army football player. They loved Yulman stadium and could not say enough about how well they were treated by Tulane fans. They contrasted it with LSU and other SEC fans they have encountered. Their only complaint was that the Tulane team was a lot faster than Army's. So, thanks guys...just wanted you to know that it is noticed by the opponents. Let's keep our good reputation. One bad apple can spoil the whole thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 am 
Emerald Circle

Watching the trenches via the replay, Cory Dublin had a nice game. He consistently found a body to block and pushed them around. He’s going to be excellent for the next 4 years. What a piece of talent evaluation from our coaches.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:09 pm 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
Watching the trenches via the replay, Cory Dublin had a nice game. He consistently found a body to block and pushed them around. He’s going to be excellent for the next 4 years. What a piece of talent evaluation from our coaches.

I agree after watching the replay as well. I was worried about a freshman starting on the OL but he's done a good job. The announcers even singled him out during the game after a nice block.

"We've got to raise the expectation here and start winning." Willie Fritz

"Coaching can only do so much. If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:14 pm 
Emerald Circle

Didn't we have a second freshman on the OL as well? I ma be confused. But the line, as a unit had a great game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 am 
Regent's Circle

Well, whouda thunk it. Tulane finally pays back (partially in my mind) Tulsa. Just put a total whooping on those guys. And the surprise part for me was to be able to follow the game via my wife's I-Pod while travelling from west to east in the wilds of northern Wyoming. It was not play-by-play as one would normally think of, but a synopsis of down, distance and result of each play in the game. The other surprise was Tulane's total dominance of Tulsa, whom Tulane had recently had trouble competing against. Roll Wave.

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:30 am 
President's Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
Didn't we have a second freshman on the OL as well? I ma be confused. But the line, as a unit had a great game.

No, we played 1 freshman, 1 true Soph, 4 redshirt Sophs, 1 Jr., 4 RS Jrs. All of our O-Line can return next year (even Knighton) if we want them to. I think we could see 2-3 defections from upperclassmen that haven't played much, though.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:35 am 
Emerald Circle

you don't want too much attrition up front. A capable, playable backup is worth a lot. My God, look at the fix LSU is in right now. And that was us last year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:50 am 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
My God, look at the fix LSU is in right now.
Heartbreaking, isn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:53 am 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
long green wrote:
My God, look at the fix LSU is in right now.
Heartbreaking, isn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, no. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:08 pm 
Emerald Circle

On my fourth watching, I couldn't help but notice that Tulsa had more than several players on what seems to be the CJ lineman diet plan...including an former Tulane recruit Tyranise Stevenson, who had a good bit of playing time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:34 am 
Emerald Circle

GSx, the OL under both Toledo and CJ was both big but slow. They also were amazingly nonathletic. I particularly tired of watching our Tackles flail helplessly as a LB or DE raced by them on the way to the QB. And even when asked to run block they seemed incapable of opening gaps for the RB's to run through. I know WF and Atkins realized they had a massive rebuilding effort ahead of them but it seems to be paying off.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 am 
Emerald Circle

I've been meaning to ask. When was the last time we scored a TD on 8 consecutive possessions (going back to the Army game)?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 am 
Coach Level

OGSB wrote:
I've been meaning to ask. When was the last time we scored a TD on 8 consecutive possessions (going back to the Army game)?

IDK, maybe when Bernie Bierman was coach?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:58 am 
Navigator Level

If it actually has occurred, my guess would be LA Tech. Thanksgiving Night 1998. Although my true guess would be never.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:11 am 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
On my fourth watching, I couldn't help but notice that Tulsa had more than several players on what seems to be the CJ lineman diet plan...including an former Tulane recruit Tyranise Stevenson, who had a good bit of playing time.

Stevenson is big not sloppy looking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:58 am 
Regent's Circle

Wavery wrote:
If it actually has occurred, my guess would be LA Tech. Thanksgiving Night 1998. Although my true guess would be never.

Believe we knelt to kill the clock at the end of the first half, don't know if you want to count that or not.