FIU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
randymc
President's Circle

Re: FIU

Unread post by randymc »

Broadcast via Internet, yes...sorry for any mislabeling earlier.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Official betting lines aren't certified yet, but the early line on oddshark says Tulane by 9.5
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

FW wrote:FIU will have athletes because they're all South Florida players, but they won't have good football players because they're FIU. We should win by at least 2 TD and probably more.
Yup. You know who else has athletes but not discipline? Southern. Grambling State. Neither of them saw the Fritz offense when it was truly clicking, and we still put up 66 and 43 on them, respectively. And now we're clicking.

I'd take Tulane - 21 if the line were that high. 9.5? That's easy money.

And for the love of God, can we please stop talking about the old crap teams of CUSA like they were excusable to lose to??? If we are where we want to be (and we're getting there), there will NEVER be an excuse to lose to Rice, FAU, UTSA, USA, or any of those schools. That mindset was beaten into your heads by 15 years of the Rick Dickson administration and IT HAS GOT TO STOP. Forget the talk about losing games to teams we should beat. We're winning next weekend, by a lot.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:
FW wrote:FIU will have athletes because they're all South Florida players, but they won't have good football players because they're FIU. We should win by at least 2 TD and probably more.
Yup. You know who else has athletes but not discipline? Southern. Grambling State. Neither of them saw the Fritz offense when it was truly clicking, and we still put up 66 and 43 on them, respectively. And now we're clicking.

I'd take Tulane - 21 if the line were that high. 9.5? That's easy money.

And for the love of God, can we please stop talking about the old crap teams of CUSA like they were excusable to lose to??? If we are where we want to be (and we're getting there), there will NEVER be an excuse to lose to Rice, FAU, UTSA, USA, or any of those schools. That mindset was beaten into your heads by 15 years of the Rick Dickson administration and IT HAS GOT TO STOP. Forget the talk about losing games to teams we should beat. We're winning next weekend, by a lot.
My taller brother from a different mother
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wave-em in
President's Circle

Unread post by wave-em in »

PeteRasche wrote:
Yup. Troy is crap cusa team. Let's count those chickens that aren't hatched.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

Sunbelt. Troy is in Sunbelt.

I am enjoying watching them because I have fond memories of Ginny and Jon Sumrall. He is a great Coach, excited for his future.

Lane Kiffen's FAU team has lost big to P5s, but now they are winning Cusa East and projected to be bowl eligible. He's got a pipeline from last chance U, so even though he spectacularly crashed against Navy - he should improve from here on out. Just saying.

I'm not dismissing any opponent. We beat a bad Tulsa team. We are taking care of own business, but we can't look past anybody. We have to still beat the next team.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Unread post by DrHullabaloo »

Enjoying reading up on Butch Davis by the way. Fascinating career.
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Unread post by CletusRelm »

Lets win this one! (It's been a long time since I felt this good about football at TU.) :-D
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

'
PeteRasche wrote:
Southern and Grambling have nowhere near the athletes of any FBS team.
It has nothing to do with "discipline." Grambling is well-coached, as per their record under their current coaching staff.
I certainly hope and expect us to beat FIU - but they won't lay down (as perhaps Tulsa did at times) and do have 3 Ws. And they have a very good coach. We didn't all of a sudden sprout football players that are good enough to walk onto fields and win by 4 TDs.
Still we're better, and the only thing that can get us is what got us the last time we played in Florida: if we start turning it over.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

GSx wrote:'
PeteRasche wrote:
Southern and Grambling have nowhere near the athletes of any FBS team.
It has nothing to do with "discipline." Grambling is well-coached, as per their record under their current coaching staff.
I certainly hope and expect us to beat FIU - but they won't lay down (as perhaps Tulsa did at times) and do have 3 Ws. And they have a very good coach. We didn't all of a sudden sprout football players that are good enough to walk onto fields and win by 4 TDs.
Still we're better, and the only thing that can get us is what got us the last time we played in Florida: if we start turning it over.
The are many impressive things about this coaching staff, but the one that impresses me the most is not making turnovers. It's one thing to talk about it; quite another to coach it and make it happen. If you win the turnover battle consistently, you consistently win football games.

If we are true-to-form, we won't get beat by FIU by turning over the football. If anything, a key injury or lack of execution will be our downfall in that game. Things like getting confused in the secondary on passing downs, that type of thing. If our OL plays like it did Saturday, it really won't matter what FIU does.
Plan your work, work your plan.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

I wrote before the Tulsa game that it was a "big game" simply because I couldn't see how we could get to 6 wins without a victory against Tulsa. FIU falls in that same category. Have to win this one as well. I have to admit that as a long time Tulane fan I was ready for the infamous Tulane let down in a big game where we come out like we're sleepwalking and the team we need to beat takes us to the woodshed. Instead we came out focused and ready to destroy our opponent. That I give credit to the most professional coaching staff that we've had here since Bowden/RR.

that said I expect us to be ready for FIU
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

GSx wrote: Still we're better, and the only thing that can get us is what got us the last time we played in Florida: if we start turning it over.
Agree but more importantly so does Coach Fritz. "Don't let the Wave beat the Wave."

We used to regularly see two turnovers in a quarter. We've seen two this season in five games with four of them being
0-fers.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

This should be a win, but let's not forget FIU will have circled us on their schedule as a possible win as well. Like us, they came into this season looking for the best way to get to 6 wins and I'll guarantee we were part of that path to them. As part of taking the next step, we need to show we can handle success by taking care of business this week.

Fortunately, I am confident this staff will have the team ready to play. CWF will make sure we aren't overlooking anybody.
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote:This should be a win, but let's not forget FIU will have circled us on their schedule as a possible win as well. Like us, they came into this season looking for the best way to get to 6 wins and I'll guarantee we were part of that path to them. As part of taking the next step, we need to show we can handle success by taking care of business this week.

Fortunately, I am confident this staff will have the team ready to play. CWF will make sure we aren't overlooking anybody.
Agree with the thoughts. BTW, Tulsa had us circled too before the season, plus they came into the game desperate for a win to save their bowl chances. We kicked them in the face in the first quarter and they wilted.
I think it was very revealing to hear Banks and the other players after the game. Before they were in their street clothes they suggesting it was just one win and on to FIU. At least they are saying the right thing. Let's see how it plays out Sat.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote:
We clicked against Tulsa...feel like we need to see that for more than one game to be "clicking". Looking forward to that happening v. FIU,
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

ml wave wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
We clicked against Tulsa...feel like we need to see that for more than one game to be "clicking". Looking forward to that happening v. FIU,
That sound you heard was not clicking...it was our OL slobberknocking the DL and our backs getting extra yards after being hit. I expect both of those to keep happening. Only bad luck, bad officiating and turnovers can stop us now. But good breaks happen to good teams, so we will make our own breaks.
enviro5609
Navigator Level

Unread post by enviro5609 »

Line is already moving. Opened at Tulane -11.5. Tulane -13 now.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

This is a game we should win, and I fully expect to win in dominant fashion. That being said, we're not at a stage where we should be over-looking anyone. I am confident in this staff having us ready to go and administer another beatdown.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Unread post by Wandering Quaker »

So long as we keep Banks healthy, we will crush FIU. Another win ATS on the way.

Of course, there are ways to lose every game. I don't think we'll explore any of them. I'd really like to see our DL camped in the offensive backfield for this one. Help the safeties and nickel backs out.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Two things I wished I had seen during the Tulsa game:

1. A Field Goal attempt. There will come a time when we will need to make a Field Goal.

2. Brantley attempt a pass. He needs to become a true dual threat QB if, Heaven Forbid, Banks goes down.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

He kicked 6 of 7 extra points. Most of those would have been good field goals from the 25 in. Brantley didn't pass because he came in the late third quarter when we were only interested in running the clock, not running up the score. Plus, we didn't want to show any more pass patterns or get a pick 6 which could have revived the Hurricanes, not enough to beat us, but to make the score closer. I am not worried about either one. I'm pretty sure the 2nd team OL was in then, and there was no reason to subject Brantley to a sack and being hurt.
enviro5609
Navigator Level

Unread post by enviro5609 »

Cheerleader wrote:He kicked 6 of 7 extra points. Most of those would have been good field goals from the 25 in. Brantley didn't pass because he came in the late third quarter when we were only interested in running the clock, not running up the score. Plus, we didn't want to show any more pass patterns or get a pick 6 which could have revived the Hurricanes, not enough to beat us, but to make the score closer. I am not worried about either one. I'm pretty sure the 2nd team OL was in then, and there was no reason to subject Brantley to a sack and being hurt.
Wind was also pretty wild. 6/7 under those conditions isn’t cause to panic.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Sophandros »

enviro5609 wrote:Line is already moving. Opened at Tulane -11.5. Tulane -13 now.
It's -14 now. When was the last time we were a double digit favorite over a team with a winning record?
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Sophandros wrote:
enviro5609 wrote:Line is already moving. Opened at Tulane -11.5. Tulane -13 now.
It's -14 now. When was the last time we were a double digit favorite over a team with a winning record?
Road favorite. I don't have a guess on that one.