FIU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

FIU

Post by WaveProf »

Kickoff next week at 7

TV questionable (may be back to all access days if someone doesnt step up!)

FIU just lost to Middle Tennessee 37-17

They are 3-2, and it looks like this:

L at UCF 17-61
W vs Alcorn State 17-10
at Indiana (Canceled for hurricane)
W at Rice 13-7
W vs Charlotte 30-29
L @ MTSU 17-37

ESPN currently gives us an 81.5% chance of winning
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: FIU

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I'm nipping the TV situation in the bud and will be in the stadium... just bought my tailgate ticket.

Would be nice to hang another 60+ on someone.. but I'm not greedy or anything.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

What's at stake?

-First win ever versus Florida International University Panthers

-First win in the state of Florida since October of 1972 (vs Miami)

-First 3-game winning streak since October of 2013 (defeated UL-Monroe, North Texas, ECU, Tulsa in consecutive weeks)

-First non-conference road win since October of 2016 (vs UMass)

-First road win since November of 2016 (vs UConn)
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

WaveProf wrote:Kickoff next week at 7

L at UCF 17-61
W vs Alcorn State 17-10
W at Rice 13-7
W vs Charlotte 30-29
L @ MTSU 17-37

FWIW, Rice lost to Army 35-0 today. On the post game show Graf said FIU was picked up by ESPN3 today and could end up being shown on there next week.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

waverider wrote:

L at UCF 17-61
W vs Alcorn State 17-10
W at Rice 13-7
W vs Charlotte 30-29
L @ MTSU 17-37

FWIW, Rice lost to Army 35-0 today.
49-12. 6 Rice turnovers. I want to say they were down 35-0 but were winning TOP at the time.
Victory is never permanent
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I fully expect Butch Davis to quit and go back to ESPN soon
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

That's a misleading 3-2, their wins are over 2 of the worst teams in FBS and a squeaker over an FCS.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

OGSB wrote:
waverider wrote:

L at UCF 17-61
W vs Alcorn State 17-10
W at Rice 13-7
W vs Charlotte 30-29
L @ MTSU 17-37

FWIW, Rice lost to Army 35-0 today.
49-12. 6 Rice turnovers. I want to say they were down 35-0 but were winning TOP at the time.
For some reason I thought it was a final when I saw 35-0.
Tulane Greenbackers

Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

Rice is awful. Doesn't look like FIU has beaten anyone decent, but they have won games, including close games. So they'll give us their best shot.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Private Joker wrote:Rice is awful. Doesn't look like FIU has beaten anyone decent, but they have won games, including close games. So they'll give us their best shot.
They won't be going through the motions like Tulsa was today.
Tulane Greenbackers

Native Georgian
President's Circle

Post by Native Georgian »

QuarterbackU wrote:What's at stake?

-First 3-game winning streak since October of 2013 (defeated UL-Monroe, North Texas, ECU, Tulsa in consecutive weeks)
That 4-game winning streak ended @Florida Atlantic. We were 6-2 on a roll; they were 2-6 and their HC resigned the week before the game. We were up 17-7 in the 3rdQ, mostly controlling the line of scrimmage and then suffered one of the most comprehensive meltdowns I’ve ever seen. Wound up losing 34-17. That’s when things started to go off the rails for Curtis Johnson and we never did recover.

I admit I still haven’t gotten over it. :xmad:
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Native Georgian wrote: We were up 17-7 in the 3rdQ, mostly controlling the line of scrimmage and then suffered one of the most comprehensive meltdowns I’ve ever seen. Wound up losing 34-17. That’s when things started to go off the rails for Curtis Johnson and we never did recover.

We threw several ints in the second half.
But we then lost a close game at UTSA (10 procedure penalties) and eventual at C-USA champ Rice, both of whom were as good as the teams we had beaten in close games earlier in the year. We also destroyed UTEP.
We just didn't improve from that point. Didn't get much worse either, though. The schedule just got tougher.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

GSx wrote:
Native Georgian wrote: We were up 17-7 in the 3rdQ, mostly controlling the line of scrimmage and then suffered one of the most comprehensive meltdowns I’ve ever seen. Wound up losing 34-17. That’s when things started to go off the rails for Curtis Johnson and we never did recover.

We threw several ints in the second half.
But we then lost a close game at UTSA (10 procedure penalties) and eventual at C-USA champ Rice, both of whom were as good as the teams we had beaten in close games earlier in the year. We also destroyed UTEP.
We just didn't improve from that point. Didn't get much worse either, though. The schedule just got tougher.
To be precise in the FAU game, Tulane threw four straight interceptions on consecutive passes in the second half. For a period of about 20 minutes, Tulane had the worst passing statistical record possible under NCAA methodology. A record that could only be matched never broken. Think Lord Kelvin absolute zero cold type stuff. To steal the word of the day, it was truly football "apocolyptic." Glad we survived!!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

GSx wrote:We just didn't improve from that point. Didn't get much worse either, though. The schedule just got tougher.
That's an extraordinarily relative "tougher".

We all need to move past the days of excusing losses to terrible teams because "they were good that year". Fritz wouldn't accept a loss to any CUSA or Sun Belt team these days and neither should we. We were terrible, horrid, every bad synonym you can think of, for a long time. It's time to put the RD era and the RD "losing can be excused somehow" mindset behind us.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Amen. My all time favorite for why we dropped MSU home game. "Our conference schedule is hard enough."
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

FIU will have athletes because they're all South Florida players, but they won't have good football players because they're FIU. We should win by at least 2 TD and probably more.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

GSx wrote:Didn't get much worse either, though. The schedule just got tougher.
The schedule most certainly did not get tougher.

We beat a series of teams that we weren't supposed to beat then lost back to back games to really bad teams. We took care of business against an even worse UTEP team and lost a game we should have won against a solid (not great) Rice team.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

For frick sake stop bellyaching about the past and focus on the fact we have a professional coach and we are going to curb stomp them.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
LSU Law Greenie
Coach Level

Post by LSU Law Greenie »

Any timetable on when/if the FIU game gets picked up on tv?
My name is T. J. Acosta and I approve this message!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

LSU Law Greenie wrote:Any timetable on when/if the FIU game gets picked up on tv?

GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

WaveProf wrote:
GSx wrote:Didn't get much worse either, though. The schedule just got tougher.
The schedule most certainly did not get tougher.

We beat a series of teams that we weren't supposed to beat then lost back to back games to really bad teams. We took care of business against an even worse UTEP team and lost a game we should have won against a solid (not great) Rice team.
Georgian is right that we spit the bit at FAU; but it's not like we really got much worse during the rest of CJ's run.
The schedule in 2013 most certainly did get tougher:
@Rice: 10-4, C-USA champions (we were double digit underdogs)
@UTSA: 7-5, won at N Texas the week after they beat us. (we were 10 point dogs, due to massive over-reaction to FAU loss)
@FAU: 6-6, with 4 wins to end the season; several close losses (OT to runner-up Marshall, e.g.) during the season.
UTEP: Terrible, but we beat the heck out of them
And then there's mighty Tulsa - they were terrible that year - 2-6 in New C-USA. 1 game ahead of UTEP; we struggledto beat Tulsa, but beat the heck out of UTEP.
And then we move into 2014, 2015, and 2016, where the schedule clearly got tougher.
CJ elevated the team to a point; it didn't get any better than mid 2013, but it really didn't get any worse.

The worst games we played in the 2nd half of the year were Tulsa at home, @ FAU (due to turnovers), and Louisiana @ Lafayette in the bowl game (due to I don't know - we just weren't very good that night).
Last edited by GSx on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

The CUSA football channel will have Tulane vs. Fla. Intl at 5:45 p.m. next Sat. on a closed circuit broadcast.
Cost to subscribe for the 1 game is $6.95 for a 24-hour viewing pass.
http://conferenceusa.com/watch/default. ... 0&path=fiu
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Close circuit through the Internet or through cable? I don’t have cable so hoping it’s internet
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

Native Georgian wrote:
QuarterbackU wrote:What's at stake?

That 4-game winning streak ended @Florida Atlantic. We were 6-2 on a roll; they were 2-6 and their HC resigned the week before the game. We were up 17-7 in the 3rdQ, mostly controlling the line of scrimmage and then suffered one of the most comprehensive meltdowns I’ve ever seen. Wound up losing 34-17. That’s when things started to go off the rails for Curtis Johnson and we never did recover.

I remember consoling a football mom who had gone to hide in the concessions area to cry away from her family and friends. I was like girl, you have got to get a thicker skin if you want to make it through four more years of Tulane football.

And then driving like a possessed mad woman from San Antonio after THAT stupid loss. It was the game after FAU that we also should have won but managed to lose..

Despite the loss, FAU has the best stadium. It is still one of my favorites.

Excited to check out FIU.