Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane talk forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:28 pm 
Regent's Circle

15 innings of scrimmages, in the first 2 days. Most, if not all pitchers were used, and as far as I can tell, most position players, if not all, played. Exceptions, of course, for those that are injured.

I have to say I am impressed by the size of this team - a lot of guys 6' 2" or taller.

Pitching has definitely gone up to the next level - understand that I've only seen 2 days of practice, so take it with a grain of salt, for now.

To me, the most interesting piece of the puzzle will be 1st and 3rd, and catcher.

No practice/scrimmage for the next 5 days, as Fall Break runs through Sunday. Next Tuesday will be the next scheduled practice, and if the weather forecasters are to be believed, it could be in the upper 70's, low 80's Tuesday, or Wednesday...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:04 am 
Breaker Level

noladave wrote:
15 innings of scrimmages, in the first 2 days. Most, if not all pitchers were used, and as far as I can tell, most position players, if not all, played. Exceptions, of course, for those that are injured.

I have to say I am impressed by the size of this team - a lot of guys 6' 2" or taller.

Pitching has definitely gone up to the next level - understand that I've only seen 2 days of practice, so take it with a grain of salt, for now.

To me, the most interesting piece of the puzzle will be 1st and 3rd, and catcher.

No practice/scrimmage for the next 5 days, as Fall Break runs through Sunday. Next Tuesday will be the next scheduled practice, and if the weather forecasters are to be believed, it could be in the upper 70's, low 80's Tuesday, or Wednesday...

Dave you are correct about the positions up for grab
Tuesday saw players switching positions frequently
We have a few guys competing for 1b and catcher but not a lot of experience. Acy Owens is a JUCO catcher. Grant Matthews is looking good at 1B
3B could be Hoese or Jensen
Outfield seems to be Spoon in center Heinrichs in right and Owens in left
Let the competition begin
The Fall World Series will be interesting to watch Nov 10-19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:11 am 
Navigator Level

Are they working Trent Johnson at 1st base in addition to pitching? (nothing against Grant Matthews)

This guy is 6'-5" with a lot of pop in his bat. (Although he was only listed as a pitcher)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 am 
Coach Level

I was really impressed with the amount of pitchers they brought in and their ability to throw strikes (based on their stats). Of course that doesn't always work at the next level because you are nibbling more. But the numbers should make it possible to find 10 reliable guys.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 am 
President's Circle

Great to hear about the pitching. How does Ross massey look? We could really use freshman Ross.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:02 am 
Regent's Circle

Since they only pitched 1 time, I’m trying not to specifically comment on a given pitcher. There is one pitcher, to me, that looked really dominant. Several others looked really good. However, I temper that with the fact it was the first outing of fall ball for everyone.

I don’t remember seeing Johnson at 1st - they rotated a few people through almost every position. Changed constantly. It will be interesting to see if things stabilize over the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Again, it was the first 2 days, so really early, especially for all of the TRUE Freshman out there.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 am 
President's Circle

CletusRelm wrote:
Are they working Trent Johnson at 1st base in addition to pitching? (nothing against Grant Matthews)

This guy is 6'-5" with a lot of pop in his bat. (Although he was only listed as a pitcher)

I thought he just got hired at Louisville as an assistant basketball coach!?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:24 pm 
Coach Level

NJwave wrote:
Great to hear about the pitching. How does Ross massey look? We could really use freshman Ross.

I've been told he threw 2 shutout innings on Tuesday.