Did anyone else think...

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Did anyone else think...

Post by austxwave »

we got a bad spot on the 3rd down in OT? I was screaming at the refs when they called it 4th down. I don't recall who our player was but I thought he landed on top of the defender and should have had the 1st down. It was a moot point thanks to the TD on the next play but I swear we got hosed on that spot.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Re: Did anyone else think...

Post by Wavefan »

We got hosed frequently. Without replay we would have gotten hosed even more.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Refs completely missed the knee down late in the game on the kick return. Thank goodness replay official spotted it. HUGE difference in the game.

Also, me was screaming at the TV when the player jumped from out of bounds, and caught the pass. Again, thanks to replay official, it was called incomplete.

Look, we didn’t play all that well, and still won. If we can somehow squeeze by Houston, then figure out SMU, we are going bowling!!!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

I'm still fuming over Briggs getting unsportsmanlike for getting hit in the facemask.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Johnny Mac wrote:I'm still fuming over Briggs getting unsportsmanlike for getting hit in the facemask.
He retaliated. Should have been offsetting but still be smart
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Wavefan wrote:We got hosed frequently. Without replay we would have gotten hosed even more.
My thoughts/reflections here. 1)We didn't get hosed as much as Graf thought we did. He definitely had his green glasses on last night. He came back to the play in the 1st quarter where he thought the ECU player did not catch the ball but the replay confirmed he did catch the ball, and the one where the replay showed the ball did cross the plane of the goal line. Kept insisting that the Wave was "hosed" on those two. But they clearly were NOT hosed. As far as these things go, I can and will "call them as I see them", without, uh, the benefit of green glasses. 2) The TV and radio broadcast were pretty much synced without having to "do it yourself". It appeared to me that they radio broadcast was about a 1/2 second ahead of the TV telecast. Not something one might have to adjust...good thing to, because I haven't yet acquired the technical knowledge to do that myself. :roll: 3) Something I have noticed over time this year. While Banks definitely has the ability to scramble, I think he goes that route a shade too soon sometimes instead of standing in the pocket (even though it might be crumbling) just a smidgen longer to complete his scan of the field. Of course, if the O-line could just hold the pocket a little better, I wouldn't have written this sentence. 4) Words of warning here folks. Don't get too excited about this win Wave fans. ECU, in their previous 7 losses this year, have given up 364 points for an average of 52 ppg. They gave up 50 or more FIVE times in those losses. The 31 they gave up yesterday were the least they gave up in a loss and it took OT to get there. Not what you would call the Great Wall of China defensively. 5) But, in any case, a win is a win, and I'll take it. :thumbsup:

Fan since '54
Last edited by Fan Since '54 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

As a high school official, I’ll tell you it isn’t as easy as some might think. At each step up in level the game moves faster and it it increases in difficulty. Do the officials blow calls? Absolutely. But it’s a lot easier calling a game from the comfort of my couch with slow motion replay than it is when I am in the middle of the field keeping track of ten things, convincing myself that the hit I am seeing in real time is flagrant, the mouthing off is unsportsmanship or just part of the game, etc. The one thing I will tell you for sure is that if you run your mouth early in the game it is doubtful you will get any benefit of the call later in the game. For Roller: say an official is getting paid on the field is pretty much an automatic 15 yard flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. Two on the same player gets you ejected. :wink:

And BTW, by my eye the ECU returner’s knee WAS down and they properly fixed the call but boy it was close. We had the benefit of slow motion and it was still close. I also believe that the ECU runner was down before the ball was in the end zone and the officials made the right call after review. I was away from the TV for the other foul call that people here disagreed with.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Fan Since '54 wrote: Don't get too excited about this win Wave fans. ECU, in their previous 7 losses this year, have given up 364 points for an average of 52 ppg. They gave up 50 or more FIVE times in those losses. The 31 they gave up yesterday were the least they gave up in a loss and it took OT to to get there. Not what you would call the Great Wall of China defensively. 5) But, in any case, a win is a win, and I'll take it.
Afraid you're right.
Victory is never permanent
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

austxwave wrote:we got a bad spot on the 3rd down in OT? I was screaming at the refs when they called it 4th down. I don't recall who our player was but I thought he landed on top of the defender and should have had the 1st down. It was a moot point thanks to the TD on the next play but I swear we got hosed on that spot.
Initially I did, but upon replay the receiver hit the ground before bouncing on top of the defender. It was the right call. All in all, this was one of the better officiated games in a long time.

Look at Navy now that the refs don't favor them any longer.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

No question things happen fast. But to the apologists for the refs in THIS game here is what you need to remember. The close calls all went in ecu's favor and the reversals of the calls on the field reversed incorrect calls by the refs on the field that were in ecu's favor. Garden variety bad calls or close calls ought to average out to where neither team gets an advantage. Which did not happen. We had to beat the 11 ecu players on the field plus the officiating crew and it is poetic justice that we did.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Fan Since '54 wrote:...As far as these things go, I can and will "call them as I see them", without, uh, the benefit of green glasses.
Green glasses cut down the glare, and help one to see things more clearly.
Fan Since '54 wrote:...The TV and radio broadcast were pretty much synced without having to "do it yourself". It appeared to me that they radio broadcast was about a 1/2 second ahead of the TV telecast. Not something one might have to adjust...good thing to, because I haven't yet acquired the technical knowledge to do that myself.
If you have DVR (most people do, these days), it's pretty easy as long as the TV is ahead of the radio. Just pause the TV until you get them in sync.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:...For Roller: say an official is getting paid on the field is pretty much an automatic 15 yard flag for unsportsmanlike conduct. Two on the same player gets you ejected. :wink: ...
I was very confident that he couldn't hear me. :angel:
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Wavefan wrote:No question things happen fast. But to the apologists for the refs in THIS game here is what you need to remember. The close calls all went in ecu's favor and the reversals of the calls on the field reversed incorrect calls by the refs on the field that were in ecu's favor. Garden variety bad calls or close calls ought to average out to where neither team gets an advantage. Which did not happen. We had to beat the 11 ecu players on the field plus the officiating crew and it is poetic justice that we did.
Thinking back, ECU did get a few favorable outcomes on questionable calls. I may have put too much into the fact they actually stopped to look at a few close plays, including the illegal touching that I'm surprised they actually stopped play to reverse.
Tulane Greenbackers

DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

In the NFL, the officiating crews get "graded" by both teams after each game and then the officials with the highest scores are the ones who are chosen for the post-season games which is like their overtime pay.

We had the worst officials in CUSA, and they've followed us to the AAC. I wish we could institute some sort of system other than Troy Dannen sending a letter of complaint. Because it's hard enough to cobble together wins in our conference, to then also have to deal with officials influencing our games.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

DrHullabaloo wrote:In the NFL, the officiating crews get "graded" by both teams after each game and then the officials with the highest scores are the ones who are chosen for the post-season games which is like their overtime pay.

We had the worst officials in CUSA, and they've followed us to the AAC. I wish we could institute some sort of system other than Troy Dannen sending a letter of complaint. Because it's hard enough to cobble together wins in our conference, to then also have to deal with officials influencing our games.
I am pretty sure college crews are graded as well. It plays a part in determining games, bowls, etc that they get to officiate. The problem in the American is that incompetence is either a job requirement or common character flaw. The guys during the Cinci game acted like this was their first game.
Tulane Greenbackers

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Johnny Mac wrote:I'm still fuming over Briggs getting unsportsmanlike for getting hit in the facemask.
Terrible, awful, ticky tack call. Worst of the night that almost cost us the game. By-and-large, the refs were evenly bad, I thought. Anyway, blaming refs is just a loser's lament.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote:
Terrible, awful, ticky tack call. Worst of the night that almost cost us the game. By-and-large, the refs were evenly bad, I thought. Anyway, blaming refs is just a loser's lament.
Have to be smart and not get goaded
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count