1997-1998 (20 years ago)

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: 1997-1998 (20 years ago)

Post by long green »

QuarterbackU wrote:
PCWave wrote:... He was responsible for us going after HUGE linemen from the Midwest and we got a few. Cyril Brockmeyer and Danny Metzger come to mind (hope I spelled their names correctly). These guys along with a few others were Monsters and very good at their positions. I am not 100% sure where they were from but I think from the Midwest.
Cyril is from Florida.
Metzger was from New York State, I believe.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Where was Kapua Conley and Mike Gumiela from? I think Phil Henderson, Wayne Blair, Alphonso Roundtree, and Brett Timmons were all from Florida. Where was Kevin Reavis, Manny Cuellar, Tom Latos, and Sam Knight from? I believe Brad Palazzo was from Mississippi.

A lot of great memories from that team. Our depth chart at RB was Dartez, Converse, Kevin Dukes, and Okie Woods. Our WR depth chart was Dawson, Cook, Burnette, PJ Franklin, John Wilson, and Terrell Harris. What a group!
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

GreenieBacker wrote:I've become convinced that Fritz isn't the problem, he's won at every level of competition he's faced. Every one. Our obstacles are institutional in nature. And that has to change if we expect to get better.
While I generally agree. He has won at very level except the level he is on now. The AAC ain't the sunbelt. The history of college football coaches is littered with coaches who have won at lower levels luke Buddy Tevens then couldn't hack it at the next level up. Even saban had won at every level until he got to the dolphins.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote:
ml wave wrote:Practically speaking, LA is always going to be 1/3 to 1/2 of our recruiting class at a minimum, so if we're going to invest money and a coaching spot in a "recruiter" it would make sense to have someone with local connections.
Isn't that why coach Fobbs (sp?) is on the staff?
Presumably? Hope he does well!
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

IM42lane wrote: 20 years later, Tulane still falls completely short of what was.
I only brought this up because 20 years ago, Tulane had the 'Rich Rod blueprint' for a BALANCED OFFENSIVE attack. I did not want to stir up any trouble. Willie Fritz has improved things around here to a small degree, but if he wants to continue improvement on a long term basis, Coach MUST improve his passing game. If he wants to keep up with the scoring ability that most of the teams in this league have, the offensive passing stats must get consistently better and with each game. I hope that in the off-season, he is able to improve his air game.

ROLL GREEN WAVE !!!
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

IM42lane wrote:
IM42lane wrote: 20 years later, Tulane still falls completely short of what was.
I only brought this up because 20 years ago, Tulane had the 'Rich Rod blueprint' for a BALANCED OFFENSIVE attack. I did not want to stir up any trouble. Willie Fritz has improved things around here to a small degree, but if he wants to continue improvement on a long term basis, Coach MUST improve his passing game. If he wants to keep up with the scoring ability that most of the teams in this league have, the offensive passing stats must get consistently better and with each game. I hope that in the off-season, he is able to improve his air game.

ROLL GREEN WAVE !!!
Completely agree. But, BUT, recruiting a QB nowadays pretty much involves finding one who can pass well and improvise/run well when any pass blocking breaks down or when receivers fail to get open, or both. Today, we can normally run very well, but the passing game is not enough to make us a threat to break out and hit 35-40 points on a regular basis, which in today's college football is necessary to be successful over the course of a 12 game season.

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"