Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1997-1998 (20 years ago)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:12 am 
Crest Level

20 years later, Tulane still falls completely short of what was.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:14 am 
Emerald Circle

are you now going to post every brain f@rt that comes your way? Just trying to figure out if I have to put you on ignore.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:18 am 
Crest Level

Go ahead, then.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:29 am 
Emerald Circle

thanks, will do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 am 
Coach Level

Who knew Buddy Teevens would be the only guy who knew how to recruit Tulane football. Or perhaps it was Kevin White. Why we don’t mimic what they did is puzzling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:46 am 
Emerald Circle

Frank Monica was the key to that recruiting, not so much Teevens (if I remember correctly). But the point here is that our Staff needs a dynamic recruiter to turn an average class into a very good one. Teevens had Monica, Scelfo had Trooper Taylor, Toledo had Rollins...........so who does Fritz have that fits that role?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:57 am 
Navigator Level

GreenieBacker wrote:
Frank Monica was the key to that recruiting, not so much Teevens (if I remember correctly). But the point here is that our Staff needs a dynamic recruiter to turn an average class into a very good one. Teevens had Monica, Scelfo had Trooper Taylor, Toledo had Rollins...........so who does Fritz have that fits that role?

So those were the recruiters that allowed us to recruit nationally?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:07 pm 
Emerald Circle

if you're a Tulane fan you can probably answer your own question. My recollection is that while we had "national" recruits all of those classes had a foundation in LA recruits. For example, Shaun King came to us from Florida but Jamaican Dartez and Jujuan Dawson were LA kids, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:20 pm 
Regent's Circle

Practically speaking, LA is always going to be 1/3 to 1/2 of our recruiting class at a minimum, so if we're going to invest money and a coaching spot in a "recruiter" it would make sense to have someone with local connections.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:18 pm 
Coach Level

GreenieBacker wrote:

GB, you are spot on with Frank Monica. He was such an asset on that staff.

If I remember, part of our secondary was from Florida, Dennis O’Sullivan was from NY, the OL was from various parts of the country, Shaun King was from Florida, the RB’s and WR’s were mostly from LA, the DL was from various parts, and don’t remember much about the LB’s. We definitely recruited more across the country than we have in recent years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
Why we don’t mimic what they did is puzzling.

We're trying but the fax machine keeps getting jammed and for some reason the recruits aren't returning our calls when we hit up their pagers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

Those days were also pre-BCS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:06 pm 
Coach Level

I think the internet, recruiting sites/firms, and satellite camps have led to way to many very good 3 star type recruits going out of state.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:16 pm 
Emerald Circle

Teevens got a couple of out of state plums. But he also did a good job with 2nd tier La recruiting and absolutely dominated 3rd tier LA recruiting for 3-4 years (sent Nelson Stokely to the unemployment office, even though he couldn't beat Stokely on the field).

The irony of all of that, to me, was that the 2 years we were good in football, were the 2 years that Perry Clark's teams were bad in basketball. And as soon as Scelfo came to town the hoops team was back in the NIT (and then Dickson/Cowen, as only those 2 could do, ran-off Clark, and extended Scelfo, and that was that).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker and Poseidon, my glib post was me saying exactly what both of you said. And more. In other words, success in the 90s means absolutely nothing in terms of proving it can happen now. It's a completely different world and a completely different sport.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:56 pm 
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:
GreenieBacker and Poseidon, my glib post was me saying exactly what both of you said. And more. In other words, success in the 90s means absolutely nothing in terms of proving it can happen now. It's a completely different world and a completely different sport.

But, but, we have Gray Pants!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:25 pm 
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:

Of course it was 20 years ago, but why can’t we land 20 kids who are academically eligible and on the radar if we recruit nationally? What is the alternative, keep doing what we are doing?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:34 pm 
Navigator Level

GreenieBacker wrote:
if you're a Tulane fan you can probably answer your own question. My recollection is that while we had "national" recruits all of those classes had a foundation in LA recruits. For example, Shaun King came to us from Florida but Jamaican Dartez and Jujuan Dawson were LA kids, etc.

My earlier comment was a tongue-in-cheek reference to our "fans" who are calling for national recruiting. See about post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 pm 
Emerald Circle

ml wave wrote:
Practically speaking, LA is always going to be 1/3 to 1/2 of our recruiting class at a minimum, so if we're going to invest money and a coaching spot in a "recruiter" it would make sense to have someone with local connections.

Isn't that why coach Fobbs (sp?) is on the staff?

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:42 pm 
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
GreenieBacker wrote:

GB, you are spot on with Frank Monica. He was such an asset on that staff.

If I remember, part of our secondary was from Florida, Dennis O’Sullivan was from NY, the OL was from various parts of the country, Shaun King was from Florida, the RB’s and WR’s were mostly from LA, the DL was from various parts, and don’t remember much about the LB’s. We definitely recruited more across the country than we have in recent years.

Everyone keeps screaming to recruit locally, and while I agree that we can't ignore it, if we want players that excel in the profile of a "Tulane Student-Athlete", we need to expand our territory. We are in a city that is internationally known, there's no reason we should have a hard time recruiting kids to come here.

With that said, we need to be able to get some of the better/faster athletes from the South.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:02 am 
Head Trainer

When Kevin White was AD I was on the Faculty Senate Committee for Athletics. I can attest that Kevin was very involved in recruiting. He was responsible for us going after HUGE linemen from the Midwest and we got a few. Cyril Brockmeyer and Danny Metzger come to mind (hope I spelled their names correctly). These guys along with a few others were Monsters and very good at their positions. I am not 100% sure where they were from but I think from the Midwest.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:51 am 
Regent's Circle

PCWave wrote:
... He was responsible for us going after HUGE linemen from the Midwest and we got a few. Cyril Brockmeyer and Danny Metzger come to mind (hope I spelled their names correctly). These guys along with a few others were Monsters and very good at their positions. I am not 100% sure where they were from but I think from the Midwest.

Cyril is from Florida.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:07 am 
Regent's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

Of course it was 20 years ago, but why can’t we land 20 kids who are academically eligible and on the radar if we recruit nationally? What is the alternative, keep doing what we are doing?

Whether you meant it or not, you basically just quoted the definition of insanity. :roll:

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:35 am 
Coach Level

FS' 54, great catch and no I didn't catch it.

If we cannot get kids into school or the school wont relax their standards (Wilson's brother), then we have to change what we have been doing for 20 years. We need an injection of football talent. This under the radar recruiting we do in Georgia, Texas, and Louisiana is getting us no where. Change is so needed and it starts with recruiting.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am 
Emerald Circle

I've become convinced that Fritz isn't the problem, he's won at every level of competition he's faced. Every one. Our obstacles are institutional in nature. And that has to change if we expect to get better.