Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:13 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3271
Location: Wichita
I don't really think there's a question as to the advantage of the "new" NBA approach of running and raining threes. As you said, assuming you can make a fair percentage of them. I was listening to a podcast the other day and they were talking about how the Suns from 2006 (I think), who led the league in pace then by a fair margin would be LAST in the league in pace. That's just 10 years of evolution. Forget your father's basketball, this isn't even your older brother's basketball.

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19028
Location: Cincinnati, OH
tjtlja wrote:
You may want to pay attention to this going forward since we have a NBA coach.

I have two kids under 10, I have to make an effort just to see our games (last night I was able to catch 3 minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the game). I certainly won't be paying attention to the trend elsewhere because I won't be seeing any other basketball at all. So, ya know... Analytics, yay, good for us, woohoo and all that. I hope it works.

P.S. It's easy to win raining threes like GS and Houston when Curry, Thompson, Harden, et al, are the guys shooting... Just sayin'.


Last edited by PeteRasche on Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:22 pm 
Offline
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:20 am
Posts: 23
PeteRasche wrote:
I just know that all the shooters in the world won't win games when the other team is making layups because you can't defend them.


But isn't that what happened last night? We were sliced up but somehow managed to win with outside shooting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:51 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 1924
PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
You may want to pay attention to this going forward since we have a NBA coach.

I have two kids under 10, I have to make an effort just to see our games (last night I was able to catch 3 minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the game). I certainly won't be paying attention to the trend elsewhere because I won't be seeing any other basketball at all. So, ya know... Analytics, yay, good for us, woohoo and all that. I hope it works.

P.S. It's easy to win raining threes like GS and Houston when Curry, Thompson, Harden, et al, are the guys shooting... Just sayin'.


Based on how much you write on the board about the various sports, I thought you followed each team closely. And being a former basketball player and writing about basketball in general, I thought this would be right up your alley. I raised four kids who were involved in everything so I know what you are going through. I am sure you are currently busy so I won't waste anymore of your time with this woohoo stuff. It is just interesting to me how much more sports are leaning on statistical analysis and the change is obvious in every sport.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:05 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:18 am
Posts: 3271
Location: Wichita
People say statistical analysis like it's magic. It's just facts. But then you can find a statistic to support almost anything so

_________________
#stopbunting


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:42 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 19028
Location: Cincinnati, OH
tjtlja wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
You may want to pay attention to this going forward since we have a NBA coach.

I have two kids under 10, I have to make an effort just to see our games (last night I was able to catch 3 minutes of the first half and the last five minutes of the game). I certainly won't be paying attention to the trend elsewhere because I won't be seeing any other basketball at all. So, ya know... Analytics, yay, good for us, woohoo and all that. I hope it works.

P.S. It's easy to win raining threes like GS and Houston when Curry, Thompson, Harden, et al, are the guys shooting... Just sayin'.


Based on how much you write on the board about the various sports, I thought you followed each team closely. And being a former basketball player and writing about basketball in general, I thought this would be right up your alley. I raised four kids who were involved in everything so I know what you are going through. I am sure you are currently busy so I won't waste anymore of your time with this woohoo stuff. It is just interesting to me how much more sports are leaning on statistical analysis and the change is obvious in every sport.

I follow our teams closely. I rarely have time to watch any others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:57 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 154
Hate to interject facts but we didn't win the game at the three point line. BOTH teams made 9 three pointers. They made two more shots from the floor. We won it at the foul line making 21 to their 11. We got the benefit of a lot of calls last night which is rare for us in any sport. Hopefully it starts a trend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:09 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 2719
Location: Bloomington IN
Sehic also played in the paint very well on the offensive end.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:21 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17655
Location: Chicago
randymc wrote:
Sehic also played in the paint very well on the offensive end.


He missed at least three gimme shots (put two back, but still)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 1401973, Bing [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group