Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MBB opens against LIU
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am 
Emerald Circle

Dunleavy season two starts tonight. Hopefully a lot of you attend. I realize most here are football and/or baseball folks, but I think this program has the chance to be back as our marquee team quicker than the rest.

LIU lost quite a bit from last year and is picked mid-pack in their "okay" conference. I suspect they'll be similar to LSU (whom I believe will be near the cellar of a decent league), but LIU is probably a better matchup for us because I suspect LSU was stronger inside (our biggest weakness). Our guards/small forwards should be better and deeper than LIU. I also still think we experimented a bit against LSU with lineups (and Ona Embo didn't play), and when we focused on our key guys being in the game at the end, we pulled away from LSU, so there's that. I'm expecting we win fairly handily this evening.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:25 am 
Emerald Circle

well as a season ticket holder I'll be there even though I probably couldn't find LIU on a map if you put a gun to my head :lol:

I'm most interested in seeing Cornish, Selic and Caleb in person against competition that may not be AAC caliber but better than an Exhibition game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:28 am 
Coach Level

aren't there vouchers in our football ticket packages for this game?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:34 am 
Emerald Circle

I'll be watching with a hot buttered rum (if I make it to the store) since it is snowing right now. Flurries are sticking

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:41 am 
Coach Level

GreenieBacker wrote:
well as a season ticket holder I'll be there even though I probably couldn't find LIU on a map if you put a gun to my head :lol:

Hint: Brooklyn

Back in the olden days when we were great in football, they were great in basketball. The other night I was getting ready to watch an old movie on TCM and they showed an old newsreel filler piece that included the highlights of a game between LIU and Oregon in like 1939.

Last edited by TU77CAL82 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:48 am 
Emerald Circle

this game is on tv? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am 
Coach Level

GreenieBacker wrote:
this game is on tv? :shock:

ESPN3

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:35 am 
Coach Level

The women start today at 5 against Maine, also on ESPN3.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:13 pm 
Emerald Circle

MattK wrote:

Which is interesting because the men are scheduled for 7 pm and on TV (streaming, but still, covered by TV cameras and announcers). Games can easily take over 90 minutes, which means they are going to be running really tight as far as getting the women done and out of the way in order to start the men's game on time for TV. I would have expected them to build in another 30-60 minutes of buffer (making the WBB game earlier).

Want an odd time? Cincinnati just tipped off 15 minutes ago in their opener, because they are playing at another college's arena while theirs is renovated this year and are therefore subject to the host's schedule. So they are playing a Noon Friday game. Weird.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:24 pm 
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:
MattK wrote:

Which is interesting because the men are scheduled for 7 pm and on TV (streaming, but still, covered by TV cameras and announcers). Games can easily take over 90 minutes, which means they are going to be running really tight as far as getting the women done and out of the way in order to start the men's game on time for TV. I would have expected them to build in another 30-60 minutes of buffer (making the WBB game earlier).

Want an odd time? Cincinnati just tipped off 15 minutes ago in their opener, because they are playing at another college's arena while theirs is renovated this year and are therefore subject to the host's schedule. So they are playing a Noon Friday game. Weird.

sorry, the women's game is at Maine. So no conFLiCT at Devlin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:55 pm 
Emerald Circle

MattK wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
MattK wrote:

sorry, the women's game is at Maine. So no conFLiCT at Devlin.

And you know, I knew that, but the post made me forget that I did. They are playing in a little tourney up there. Nevermind.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:38 pm 
Emerald Circle

Looking forward to the game tonight. My $0.02 after two exhibition games.

We are not where we need to be to challenge for a top 5 spot in the tough AAC yet, but the talent level has really been upgraded from last year. The biggest impact of the newcomers is coming from Cornish (he looks like the best player on the team to me), Sehic and Daniels. These three bring something that was sorely lacking and that's scoring. Hopefully we don't go through those scoring droughts now with their addition to the team.

Despite what many on here think, the issue with Green Wave basketball hasn't been coaching, it's been talent. If it were mostly coaching we wouldn't have won 6 games last year. Those three are a nice upgrade.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:42 pm 
President's Circle

LIU was a decent 20 wins, 12 losses last season.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:51 pm 
Coach Level

Free cheese fries all season if the Wave wins by 10 or more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:53 pm 
Riptide Level

That's true. It's also true they lost their top three scorers and one was the player of the year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:56 pm 
Emerald Circle

wavedom wrote:
That's true. It's also true they lost their top three scorers and one was the player of the year.

And they seem to have snapped up Umass' coach, right after UMass fired him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:58 pm 
Emerald Circle

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Free cheese fries all season if the Wave wins by 10 or more.

Love that announcement: "Cheeeeeeesssse fries...."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:05 pm 
Emerald Circle

We have some work to do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:14 pm 
Emerald Circle

windywave wrote:
We have some work to do.

It's great to score 102 points, but unfortunately, we will have to average that if we want to win a lot of games. We couldn't defend the rim if we were playing in a phone booth.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:17 pm 
Regent's Circle

Shouldn't let them back in it in a home game. Glad for the win of course.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:22 pm 
Emerald Circle

Would've been nice to get a win that doesn't ask more questions than it answers but c'est la vie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

I only caught parts of the game, did they say why Daniels was not playing? We could have used his quickness defending their drives.

Speaking of that, one thing MD was emphasizing at practice last week was pushing up defensively on your man rather than giving space and allowing him to get downhill and put you back on your heels. It's much harder for someone to go by you when you are right up on them than when they have a step to get started. And from what I saw tonight, that went in one ear and out the other, because defenders were giving space and LIU guys were blowing right past us. At least in the last 5 minutes that I saw.

And despite all that teeth-gnashing here last week because a few people pointed out that we rebounded poorly against LSU despite winning... Um, we are not good at rebounding. That seriously needs addressing.

A win is a win and it's good to get that out of the way. On to the next one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:28 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
And despite all that teeth-gnashing here last week because a few people pointed out that we rebounded poorly against LSU despite winning... Um, we are not good at rebounding. That seriously needs addressing.

Assuming it's addressable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 pm 
Coach Level

Coach is certainly following basketball analytics that the Rockets and quite a few NBA teams adhere to - shoot a ton of 3’s. That will certainly result in a low % of offensive boards.

Was very impressed with Sehic, Slater, and Ona Embo. Defense will get better. Great to see us get a win. With only 6 last year, I will take it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 pm 
Emerald Circle

This was a much better team than I expected. They had good quickness and they shot well even when we played good defense. They would have beat any Conroy team easily. Our interior defense was poor and that has to get better. Caleb didn’t play for some unspecified reason, in the post game coach said he would have been perfect to play against this team. Sehic I loved reminded me of Dylan O. But not as good a passer. Cornish was good too. Fun game to watch.