Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:05 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:26 pm
Posts: 1792
tjtlja wrote:
Coach is certainly following basketball analytics that the Rockets and quite a few NBA teams adhere to - shoot a ton of 3’s. That will certainly result in a low % of offensive boards.

Was very impressed with Sehic, Slater, and Ona Embo. Defense will get better. Great to see us get a win. With only 6 last year, I will take it.


I really like the fast pace and the 3's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:07 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 18977
Location: Cincinnati, OH
OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
And despite all that teeth-gnashing here last week because a few people pointed out that we rebounded poorly against LSU despite winning... Um, we are not good at rebounding. That seriously needs addressing.
Assuming it's addressable.

Rebounding is absolutely addressable. Technique, desire, hard work. You don't need height or strength to be good at rebounding (not that it hurts).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:05 pm
Posts: 1630
Daniels sprained his ankle this week.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:30 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm
Posts: 12737
PeteRasche wrote:
OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
And despite all that teeth-gnashing here last week because a few people pointed out that we rebounded poorly against LSU despite winning... Um, we are not good at rebounding. That seriously needs addressing.
Assuming it's addressable.

Rebounding is absolutely addressable. Technique, desire, hard work. You don't need height or strength to be good at rebounding (not that it hurts).


I'm guessing that we didn't stress it after the lsu exhibition game then. I wonder why not?

_________________
"I'm learning to fly / But I ain't got wings


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MBB opens against
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:44 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:05 pm
Posts: 1630
Koka dressed tonight but did not play. He had a brace on his knee.He took some shots in warmups. Daniels also dressed but did not take shots in warmups. Ono Embo who was shaken up early, got hit on the last possession of the game. Reynolds hurt his back in a hard fall midway through the second half. He came back in late.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:19 am 
Offline
Sophomore
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:12 am
Posts: 6
Location: Chicago, IL
Didn't we outrebound them by 14? I thought the rebounding was fine.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:20 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 4929
I thought we were channeling reincarnation of Tarkanian vs Westhead. Truly no weakside defense by anyone. Tulane will win these games where it shoots 50%+ as it did against LSU and tonight. When it's cold, it won't be pretty.

I have a question: anyone recall the last Tulane MBB game where the team never played zone defense for even one possession? After about the 20th layup surrendered we were wondering in the stands if MD would change the man-defense to clog up the middle but he never did.

Regardless this is college basketball like we haven't seen for several decades.

The team plays very hard and never quits but we don't have an NBA coach for nothing. Regardless of in-game scoring, I'm thinking we will see a number of one possession games with two minutes left this year just like what the big NBA guys thrive on. May Tulane win more than its share.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:00 am 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:50 am
Posts: 7118
Location: new orleans, la
Really like this team chemistry - but it’s goofy - in a family, brother - brother kind of family way. Some guys were really upset that they had open looks, and guys didn’t find them. A lot of guys want to take/make the shot, and that’s different - hadn’t seen that in a while, at least in my opinion.

Defense definitely needs work, and in case you weren’t sure, coaches were really upset quite a few times tonight.

Frazier was really beat up tonight, as well as a couple of other guys. One time, he was smacked on top of the head, and no foul. The last play of the game, somebody threw either an elbow, or something, and Ona Embo went down, hard. Was really upset..

If we can play defense, we will win some games this year.

Posting pictures on twitter..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:01 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20020
Location: North Kenner
visualmagic wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
Coach is certainly following basketball analytics that the Rockets and quite a few NBA teams adhere to - shoot a ton of 3’s. That will certainly result in a low % of offensive boards.

Was very impressed with Sehic, Slater, and Ona Embo. Defense will get better. Great to see us get a win. With only 6 last year, I will take it.


I really like the fast pace and the 3's.

It's like the opposite of Conroy. Instead of holding the ball for 25 seconds before missing a 3 we now move the ball quickly and actually make the 3.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:02 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20020
Location: North Kenner
OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
OGSB wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
And despite all that teeth-gnashing here last week because a few people pointed out that we rebounded poorly against LSU despite winning... Um, we are not good at rebounding. That seriously needs addressing.
Assuming it's addressable.

Rebounding is absolutely addressable. Technique, desire, hard work. You don't need height or strength to be good at rebounding (not that it hurts).


I'm guessing that we didn't stress it after the lsu exhibition game then. I wonder why not?

He said it was teachable, he didn't say the kids would do it!

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:05 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:20 pm
Posts: 20020
Location: North Kenner
irishWAVE wrote:
Didn't we outrebound them by 14? I thought the rebounding was fine.

I felt the same way. I thought we actually did a good job of rebounding. At one point we had a pretty sizable advantage in second chance points. The only negative I have is the defense, or lack thereof, down low.

_________________
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:38 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 18977
Location: Cincinnati, OH
irishWAVE wrote:
Didn't we outrebound them by 14? I thought the rebounding was fine.

In the stats, yes, we did. But when they were busy cutting the lead from the teens down to two, it seemed like we couldn't get a single round when necessary... like they would score every time down the floor either by first shot or by putback.

Most of the statistical rebounding advantage must have come when we were building the lead. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:48 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 18977
Location: Cincinnati, OH
noladave wrote:
The last play of the game, somebody threw either an elbow, or something, and Ona Embo went down, hard. Was really upset..

The LIU players were scattered on the floor as we brought the ball in, having been intending to press but realizing the game was over. As Ona Embo passed by one of the bigger players on LIU, the guy threw a shoulder into Ray's face and flattened him. It didn't look terribly blatant or violent (I watched it several times) but I can't see how it wouldn't have been intentional. A shoulder to the head isn't something that randomly happens.

It struck me at the time as the move of a New York player who knew how to be dirty without getting caught.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:18 am 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:42 pm
Posts: 2718
Location: Bloomington IN
I think LIU got 8 offensive rebounds in 2nd half; none in first half.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 18977
Location: Cincinnati, OH
randymc wrote:
I think LIU got 8 offensive rebounds in 2nd half; none in first half.

The difference between a 17 point lead and a 2 point lead...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:00 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:18 am
Posts: 17907
Location: Beautiful Dutchtown
The pattern seems similar to last year - good first half, not so good in the 2nd. Playing LIUB instead of Oklahoma or Arizona State, so we notch the W (had the same pattern later in the year). That said, I do think we'll be a lot better than last year.

_________________
A refreshing culture of standards, expectations and accountability is upon us.


Last edited by GSx on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:00 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19357
Location: New Orleans
Like others here I thought we rebounded just fine, but LIU made over 50% of their shots and didn’t seem to miss many in the Second Half. In other words there weren’t many rebounds to be had. And did these guys miss any free throws? Sure seemed like everything that they put up went in.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 am 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 4929
PeteRasche wrote:
noladave wrote:
The last play of the game, somebody threw either an elbow, or something, and Ona Embo went down, hard. Was really upset..

The LIU players were scattered on the floor as we brought the ball in, having been intending to press but realizing the game was over. As Ona Embo passed by one of the bigger players on LIU, the guy threw a shoulder into Ray's face and flattened him. It didn't look terribly blatant or violent (I watched it several times) but I can't see how it wouldn't have been intentional. A shoulder to the head isn't something that randomly happens.

It struck me at the time as the move of a New York player who knew how to be dirty without getting caught.


The injury at the beginning of the game was what my friends in the Army called the "wound of wounds." Once he, ahem, walked it off, he was back in the game.

At the end, he forgot that FIFA banned diving and he thought the LIU guy would be red carded. To paraphrase Hot Rod Hundley, "All Harm and No Foul."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:24 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 18977
Location: Cincinnati, OH
GreenieBacker wrote:
And did these guys miss any free throws? Sure seemed like everything that they put up went in.
LIU shot just under 85% for the game. However, Tulane shot just under 81%. When was the last time we shot free throws that well??

Baywave1 wrote:
At the end, he forgot that FIFA banned diving and he thought the LIU guy would be red carded. To paraphrase Hot Rod Hundley, "All Harm and No Foul."
I think Ray stayed down on the floor longer than he needed to in case a ref looked over and saw him down, probably to prove a point (in the little I watched, LIU were definitely cheap shot artists). He may have been trying to get a technical or ejection on the LIU player as payback. So, yeah, he was acting a bit in the" actual damage done", but nonetheless he had a right to be mad because he got hit hard in the face, intentionally, as the clock was running out, by a guy who likely did it from frustration about losing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:36 am
Posts: 17299
Location: Philly & Ocean City, MD
All I could think of as both teams approached the century mark was...we really did hire an NBA coach. :lol:

_________________
Tulanian since 1974


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 19357
Location: New Orleans
Well LIU played the kind of physical ball that we’re going to see in the AAC. As pre-conference games go this was a good one. But Holy Cow, we have to figure out how to stop those drives to the basket for layups

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:08 pm 
Offline
Riptide Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 149
I thought Ray was flopping until our trainer came out. He finally got up and violently pushed him away. He was pissed about having taken a cheap shot and then had to be held back from going after the guy at that point.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:18 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 1919
Pete, do you think there is a large advantage to the new basketball analytics where taking substantially more 3's is the way to go? I know here in Houston, the Rockets certainly were at the forefront of this when Kevin McHale was coaching and have stepped it up with D'Antonio. I read recently saw that Coach Dunleavy said he would love to have four shooters sitting on the three point line. The Moses kid we just signed certainly meets that criteria. I think it would be very attractive to recruits. What are your thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:56 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 18977
Location: Cincinnati, OH
tjtlja wrote:
Pete, do you think there is a large advantage to the new basketball analytics where taking substantially more 3's is the way to go? I know here in Houston, the Rockets certainly were at the forefront of this when Kevin McHale was coaching and have stepped it up with D'Antonio. I read recently saw that Coach Dunleavy said he would love to have four shooters sitting on the three point line. The Moses kid we just signed certainly meets that criteria. I think it would be very attractive to recruits. What are your thoughts?

I have no idea. I pay no attention to the NBA and don't know or care anything about advanced analytics and such. I just know that all the shooters in the world won't win games when the other team is making layups because you can't defend them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:06 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 1919
It makes sense if you have shooters. Trading 3's for 2's shooting a lower percentage and opening the middle for easy baskets when you need one has certainly proved successful for the Rockets and Golden State. You may want to pay attention to this going forward since we have a NBA coach. Last night our 3's certainly beat their 2's. Rebounding will not be a figure to pay too much attention to if we continue to play to current basketball analytics. And analytics certainly played a major role in the Astros championship.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group