MBB vs. SLU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

MBB vs. SLU

Unread post by TU77CAL82 »

I'm starting a game thread a little early in order to make a 'public service announcement' . . .

The Green Wave Club is handling the Coach's Corner hospitality access differently this year. Tickets have been issued for each individual game, and we've been encouraged to share the tickets if we will not be using them. My season ticket buddy and I realized that we will not be able to get to most basketball games early enough to take advantage of the pre-game hospitality at Devlin. So if you plan to get to a game early and want the tickets, let me know. Chances are, they will be available. Definitely available for SLU. Tickets cannot be transferred electronically, but I live fairly close to campus, for pick up. I'm not going to regurgitate this for every game. Just keep it in mind.

By the way, SLU game is on Cox Sports television.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: MBB vs. SLU

Unread post by Baywave1 »

SLU easily beat Centenary (D-3) in its opener. It was a .500 team last year with a couple of decent wins including a late season one against UNO.

Tulane beat SLU for one of its six victories last year when Kain Harris was on fire and made us all think he was one of the shooters who could take pressure off Reynolds. It obviously didn't happen in AAC and he left. Shooting depth this season does not appear to be an issue. We'll see if it continues.

I went to a couple of online sites and unless I overlooked it, I didn't even see odds posted on this game. I'd guess Tulane by 10+ and it's reasonable to think on paper they should win by double figures. But this team only won six games last year so it's all tbd. I certainly wouldn't bet on it but I'd be surprised somewhat if Tulane lost.

I expect Tulane should score 80 regardless of outcome. Roll Wave!
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

will keep it in mind. I live in Broadmoor near campus and would love to use the special passes sometime when they are available. thanks for posting the offer.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

SLU btw has two ex-Tulane players sitting out this season cause they transferred to the Lions' program. Von Julien, our former PG, is on the SLU roster sitting out this year ... as is F Maxwell Starwood, who was committed to Tulane under Coach Conroy then ended up playing for Texas State and then transferring to SLU (where he like Julien must sit out this season).
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

On paper SLU is a better team than LIU Brooklyn. They are led by their little PG Veal. They could win the Southland this year. Tulane will again have to defend dribble penetration of a smaller, faster team. They went to the foul line a ton in their last game. In my mind, the development of Ajang and Koka and their ability to defend the paint will be the key to this season. I thought it was interesting that Dunleavey went to Ajang late in the last game to spell Sehic.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

This game should be interesting to see how we play it. SELA wants to run it too, based on the fact they scored 97 in their opener. Their tallest guys are 6'7. It would seem like we should slow the game down and take advantage of our height (Paul, Sehic, and maybe even the freshmen should have their way inside). But Dunleavy wants us to run it in general. That might actually be playing into their hands in this matchup.

It sure would be nice to start 2-0 no matter who it is we beat.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

We should never lose to Southeastern if we want to even think about saying we have improved. They take the players we don’t recruit and the players we decided to move on from.

We need to improve our defense to truly turn the corner but we are sure fun to watch. Dribble, dribble, desperation 3 sure seems like an offense from a long time ago.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

NJwave wrote:We should never lose to Southeastern if we want to even think about saying we have improved. They take the players we don’t recruit and the players we decided to move on from.

We need to improve our defense to truly turn the corner but we are sure fun to watch. Dribble, dribble, desperation 3 sure seems like an offense from a long time ago.
All true. Conroy ball was designed to keep Tulane in the game when it got hot shooting threes meanwhile eating the clock. It didn't result in more overall success but did allow the annual upset or two against a UC or UM when Tulane made a buzzer beater. Meanwhile it put the small crowd watching to sleep.

As GB said (and I know it's death to say this around here) but MD ball is fun to watch. May it succeed too!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Considering Ryan Smith had a double-double against them last year and somewhat dominated the paint (as much as he could), Sehic and Paul (as I suggested above) should kill it tonight. But if we get into a "Loyola-Marymount-Paul-Westhead-one-shot-every-7-seconds" game, SLU would be much more likely to hang around. Hopefully we can manage the tempo where we push it like we want but not lose control.
occasionally
Navigator Level

Unread post by occasionally »

For those in the area not making it to the game, it's on Cox Sports TV.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

occasionally wrote:For those in the area not making it to the game, it's on Cox Sports TV.
and of course ESPN3

I think after the defensive lapses the other night, we may see a bit more lockdown in our end tonight... LIU had one guy who just went off and I think part of it is they never scouted the guy, we were too focused on their transfer and best returning player... the coaches didn't adjust during the game, plus it always seems hard for us to play defense in the second half when the team is too far to hear the instructions... the color guy (Murray Bartow) the other night kept imploring Tulane to push their guard to the left and take away his right hand.. it never happened.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

FWIW, this may be only game this year not on ESPN3.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote:FWIW, this may be only game this year not on ESPN3.
It's listed as on ESPN3 on ESPN.com
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

tulaneoutlaw wrote:
I hope it is, but it's not mentioned in the official Tulane press release.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
I just found it on ESPN 3
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Perhaps we're all right. I'm a Cox customer and it's not listed on my ESPN 3 package. However it is listed as a CST game. So maybe Cox's agreement with ESPN allows it to blackout ESPN3 games when carried on CST?

Just my guess and maybe I'm simply misreading the guide but I've checked it numerous times. Are the posters here finding it on ESPN3 Cox customers or use another internet provider?
waverider
Cornerstone

Baywave1 wrote:
waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
tulaneoutlaw wrote:
Perhaps we're all right. I'm a Cox customer and it's not listed on my ESPN 3 package. However it is listed as a CST game. So maybe Cox's agreement with ESPN allows it to blackout ESPN3 games when carried on CST?

Just my guess and maybe I'm simply misreading the guide but I've checked it numerous times. Are the posters here finding it on ESPN3 Cox customers or use another internet provider?
I'm a Cox customer but realized just now that I may not have been logged in on my phone so it may not recognize my Cox. I'll check again while logged in.

Just logged in with my Cox account and found the listing. Doesn't mean it won't be blacked out, but it is listed.
Tulane Greenbackers

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

The game appears to be on DirecTV tonight as part of ESPN extra which is free.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

I've got it up here in Cincinnati. It's currently listed in the "upcoming".
waverider
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:I've got it up here in Cincinnati. It's currently listed in the "upcoming".
I searched "Tulane" and found it. They have the game against Miami (OH) next week listed as well.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:I've got it up here in Cincinnati. It's currently listed in the "upcoming".
I searched "Tulane" and found it. They have the game against Miami (OH) next week listed as well.
FYI.. I tried it and it is blacked out locally.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

waverider wrote:
waverider wrote:
Sorry to hear that... Find someone with cable!
waverider
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
waverider wrote:
Sorry to hear that... Find someone with cable!
I wasn't checking for me, I watched it on TV. I was just curious if it was blacked out or not.
Tulane Greenbackers