Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wow
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:37 pm 
Navigator Level

Tonight we finally broke the Greenville jinx. And it is only fitting we had to overcome not only ecu but also the expected terrible officiating to do it! I'm so glad that we stopped their back well short of the goal line because you can bet your last dollar if he would have gotten close they call it a TD. Much more fun to gripe about the refs after a win!

Post subject: Re: Wow
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:42 pm 
President's Circle

Do you remember the Army game at West Point about ten years ago? Tulane has a 4th and one at the 16 and Toledo following conventional wisdom elects to kick the FG in OT. It misses. Army makes its OT field goal and wins. Difference between Toledo and Fritz. WF goes for it on 4th and one from the 16 in OT while empowering the player (Banks) who had given away the lead in the 4th Q to run for what became the winning touchdown.

I rarely think one play encapsulates it all to compare two coaches but perhaps this is the exception.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:01 am 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
Do you remember the Army game at West Point about ten years ago? Tulane has a 4th and one at the 16 and Toledo following conventional wisdom elects to kick the FG in OT. It misses. Army makes its OT field goal and wins. Difference between Toledo and Fritz. WF goes for it on 4th and one from the 16 in OT while empowering the player (Banks) who had given away the lead in the 4th Q to run for what became the winning touchdown.

I rarely think one play encapsulates it all to compare two coaches but perhaps this is the exception.

Go back even further and you'll remember a Tulane team that supposedly didn't want to come out of the halftime locker room under Teevens vs Army because of the cold and we were getting whipped. The cold was not an issue tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:39 pm 
Regent's Circle

Did anyone else think the AAC officiating would be a step up from CUSA?

I shoulda took the under...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:12 pm 
Navigator Level

Baywave1 wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:06 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:

I was at that Army game in '07.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:33 pm 
Cornerstone

waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Was that the one where Marler drew a penalty for marking his set point on a field goal attempt?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:16 pm 
Coach Level

Roller wrote:
waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Was that the one where Marler drew a penalty for marking his set point on a field goal attempt?

Not Seth Marler, but something like that did happen.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 am 
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
waverider wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

Wasn't Marler but the refs said the holder used a piece of paper or some other object to mark his spot.

I still don't think they caught that TD in bounds.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:31 am 
Cornerstone

waverider wrote:
Wasn't Marler but the refs said the holder used a piece of paper or some other object to mark his spot.
Yep it was a violation of an obscure rule that is rarely enforced and that was being violated the entire game (the entire season, in fact), but they chose to enforce it when it would have maximum impact on the outcome of the game.

waverider wrote:
I still don't think they caught that TD in bounds.
They didn't. It was right at our feet (the best view we had of any play in the entire game). He was out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:21 am 
Emerald Circle

Roller wrote:
waverider wrote:
Yep, it was a violation of an obscure rule that is rarely enforced and that was being violated the entire game (the entire season, in fact), but they chose to enforce it when it would have maximum impact on the outcome of the game.

As an official, I have to agree with you. We are taught that in the beginning of a season, or even a game, if something is a point of emphasis, then you call it all season or at least all game. It’s like the strike zone for a home plate ump. Be consistent. If kids are jawing all game and suddenly I am flagging unsportsmanlike conduct in the 4th quarter, shame on me. You jump on that the first time it happens.

And I had never heard of the above rule, at least not at the HS level. I looked.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:02 pm 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
Roller wrote:
waverider wrote:
Yep, it was a violation of an obscure rule that is rarely enforced and that was being violated the entire game (the entire season, in fact), but they chose to enforce it when it would have maximum impact on the outcome of the game.

As an official, I have to agree with you. We are taught that in the beginning of a season, or even a game, if something is a point of emphasis, then you call it all season or at least all game. It’s like the strike zone for a home plate ump. Be consistent. If kids are jawing all game and suddenly I am flagging unsportsmanlike conduct in the 4th quarter, shame on me. You jump on that the first time it happens.

And I had never heard of the above rule, at least not at the HS level. I looked.

I believe it was referred to as linoleum (sp?) though probably just some sort of plastic...and it's probably something that originated with the Army coaching staff and not the refs. Much like the George Brett pine tar incident, they noticed we were doing that and waited until the most advantageous time to alert the refs. Credit to them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:24 pm 
President's Circle

I guess that doubles the difference between Toledo and Fritz because I bet Fritz would pass the quiz on that obscure rule point too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:49 pm 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:
I guess that doubles the difference between Toledo and Fritz because I bet Fritz would pass the quiz on that obscure rule point too.

It’s probably different at the college level, at least I hope so, but you’d probably not be surprised on how uneducated most high school coaches are about the rule book. JV and youth games, forget it.