All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:56 am 
Regent's Circle

windywave wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
windywave wrote:
DrHullabaloo wrote:
TUPF wrote:
Funny, I have been donating steadily to Tulane for coming up on 40 years, and I never worried one way or another about where the people who were asking were from. All that mattered was that they wore OGSB and were invested now. I had never stepped foot in New Orleans before I got off that Southern Airways jet in 1974, naively wearing my corduroy sport coat and tie into the August heat.

With apologies to Dr. H and her ilk, I’d file this under First World problem. Smacks of Old Money New Orleans, you didn’t go to my high school parochialism. In my day the great majority of Tulanians WERE from New Orleans and Louisiana in general, and those alumni are exactly the ones who are disengaged now. I am not going to give any more or any less if the Tulanian doing the asking is from the 70118 area code or is Dr. Bobby Brown. Heck, the first stud QB wearing OGSB I remember was Roch Hontas and he was from, what, Ohio?

Also, I am just saying that we have one of the lowest giving rates by percentage of our alumni among our peer schools. We have vast rooms for improvement, and loads of untapped potential. I am critiquing that using another "Hi, I'm the Newest New Person" email fell flat on me.

:roll: that's the school as a whole genius. Per win, we probably have one of the highest for athletics

Have you considered the fact the alumni association sucks and the change in the philosophy of the school has alienated people too?

If you think the alumni association "sucks", then take on a leadership role and work to make it better.

Also, our giving rate is improving, at least according to what Fitts told us last week in Atlanta. And we expect more improvement after December 8th.

Really? You want me to quit my job and move to NOLA and get an office in the alumni house? If they'll match pay, benefits, and quality of life, I'm all in.

There's other ways to be involved with working with the Alumni Association, windy. You can take on a leadership role with your local chapter or you can try to get on the Alumni Board.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am 
Regent's Circle

TUPF wrote:
Sophandros wrote:
I'm not sure who we could have hired locally with the qualifications we need to accomplish our goals in the athletics department. Should we hire people from UNO's AD? Dillard? Xavier? If we want people with Division 1 experience who are local, then we'll have to go to Southeastern, UL-L, or LSU. The former two are beneath our standard, while the third is, well, LSU.

I get the frustration about outreach. I really do. I'm working with my local alumni chapter to get better (by the way, today is National Networking Night in all of our chapters). If we want more alumni performing outreach, then WE are the ones who have to take the torch to make it happen.

I know your "letter writer" and I have spoken to him multiple times about Tulane athletics, NOLA, and other topics. He is emotionally invested in our school, and it's not just because he receives a paycheck from there. He also travels across the country to meet with alumni and supporters during much of the year. He stops by in Yulman to talk to us both in Westfeldt and in Glazer.

Please, if you want me to make an introduction, just ask. PM me.

We can and we must all work together to make TU what we know it can be.
Well done, Soph. Positive, researched, helpful. What the heck are you doing on a message board? :lol:

Regarding the OP, I guess I can understand the need by some to be stroked but I have donated yearly pretty much on autopilot. Some years I hear from no one. Other years I get the “hey, I’m so and so and will be in Philadelphia next month and can we meet for coffee” sort of email. If I am available I do meet. Mostly I get the earnest calls from athletes thanking me. I actually think those are most fun. Oh to be young again and totally invested in what you are doing! Investment is what matters to me. If Tulane gets Dr. Bobby Brown or Matt Forte or the ghost of Howard K. Smith to call, it’s not going to change anything one bit.

However, maybe Dr. H. is onto something. Maybe the disengaged New Orleanian alumni really do want to be stroked, feted, invited to some krewe ball. Maybe it’s baked into the culture. All I can say is that as someone who adopted New Orleans in my many travels, I do not feel the need to check the bonafides of Tulane employees.

I think there is a lot of validity to what Dr. H is saying, and from my conversations with the Author of The Email, I know that the athletics department is trying to engage with former athletes in order to bring them back into the fold. That said, there has been a controversy with the reorganization of the T-Club, and that is something that both lettermen and other alumni need to work together on in order to set things right.

But like anything else, the people running the show won't know that something isn't going exactly as they planned unless their customers let them know. This administration is open to hearing your questions and addressing them. Give them a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:35 pm 
Regent's Circle

Sophandros wrote:
I'm not sure who we could have hired locally with the qualifications we need to accomplish our goals in the athletics department. Should we hire people from UNO's AD? Dillard? Xavier? If we want people with Division 1 experience who are local, then we'll have to go to Southeastern, UL-L, or LSU. The former two are beneath our standard, while the third is, well, LSU.

I get the frustration about outreach. I really do. I'm working with my local alumni chapter to get better (by the way, today is National Networking Night in all of our chapters). If we want more alumni performing outreach, then WE are the ones who have to take the torch to make it happen.

I know your "letter writer" and I have spoken to him multiple times about Tulane athletics, NOLA, and other topics. He is emotionally invested in our school, and it's not just because he receives a paycheck from there. He also travels across the country to meet with alumni and supporters during much of the year. He stops by in Yulman to talk to us both in Westfeldt and in Glazer.

Please, if you want me to make an introduction, just ask. PM me.

We can and we must all work together to make TU what we know it can be.

Soph....Harummfff!

Seems pretty simple, give money & participate or find a reason not to.