Sehic

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Sehic

Unread post by wavedom »

visualmagic wrote:
wavedom wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:In the little I've seen of Sehic, I'd take him over Osetkowski if I had the choice of either on my team. I consider their offensive talents nearly a wash. People say Sehic isn't as good of a passer but he's not being asked to be, whereas Dylan passed quite a bit in Conroy's system (perhaps because he couldn't get his own shot?). Sehic is a step faster (though Dylan may have improved; I'm comparing current junior Sehic to then-sophomore Osetkowski). Both could shoot, but Dylan had some mental block from the line whereas Sehic appears to be money. Dylan had a bigger body which he used fairly well for rebounding but he was fairly earthbound, whereas Sehic is quicker and appears much more aggressive in going after the ball. But the big difference to me is defense. Dylan was, or at least appeared to be, nonexistent on the defensive end. Sehic appears aggressive, but more than that, isn't limited to standing on a block, and will be able to stay with some of the AAC big men who step away from the basket.

But let's be honest, Dylan looked better here because he was a decent big man in a decade-plus that saw few of those. He wouldn't have started, or even gotten off the bench, for many of the teams we played. But he was a small ray of light in a long, dark period at Tulane.

I liked Dylan when he was here and was sad to see him go. But now that I've seen Sehic, I'm over it. Woulda been nice to have both together, though....
Spot on. The thing with Dylan was he would hit his first three and everyone would get excited. He would then miss all his remaining three's but everyone just blocked it out. He was a tough guy the likes of which we have rarely seen on any of our teams no matter the sport. His best attribute was as his great court vision. His next good game against a quality opponent will be his first though. We'll see if he's improved.
I don't know about that.
From what I've seen I'd probably take Osetkowski over Sehic.
Keep watching.
We deserve so much better
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

gerryb323 wrote:Dylan averaging 15 and 12 through 2 games for Texas. Big article on him: https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/ ... ersatility
Fake news. He had 5 and 5 against A&M and 13 and 10 against Northwestern St..
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:Dylan averaging 15 and 12 through 2 games for Texas. Big article on him: https://www.burntorangenation.com/2017/ ... ersatility
He had 17 and 14 against New Hampshire and the A&M scrimmage doesn't count. So, good try.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote:One further thought on Sehic: How did this guy only average two points per game at Vandy and barely see the court?..... Candidly were there other issues at Vandy?
1. He was behind two NBA players (don't ask me to quote who, Sehic just told me that himself)
2. He was a freshman.
3. Their coach got fired, so, yeah, issues.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:One further thought on Sehic: How did this guy only average two points per game at Vandy and barely see the court?..... Candidly were there other issues at Vandy?
1. He was behind two NBA players (don't ask me to quote who, Sehic just told me that himself)
2. He was a freshman.
Luke Kornet and Damian Jones. Both G-League currently, but yeah, drafted NBA guys.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
He had 17 and 14 against New Hampshire and the A&M scrimmage doesn't count. So, good try.
Impressive against mighty New Hampshire and Northwestern St. not so much against A&M. Point still stands. Shaka won't be at Texas long.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

wavedom wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Impressive against mighty New Hampshire and Northwestern St. not so much against A&M. Point still stands. Shaka won't be at Texas long.
I'm not trying to defend Dylan (as a matter of fact, he can go to hell for all I care) but you don't have to be a CJ about it. I can see how my linking the article confused you on the games though since it didn't mention New Hampshire.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

PeteRasche wrote:
2. He was a freshman.
Thanks. Understood. Not looking for gossip. Let's see what Sehic does against CSU and other teams with decent big men as Doc notes. Maybe that was a factor in all this. He could simply be a tall rangy 4 who can spell a 5 when needed? Put him in the right position in the right system and he thrives.

Regardless good for Tulane and bad for Vandy that it didn't work out for Sehic there. Sometimes you need serendipity in your favor.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Also, fwiw, Stallings took the Pitt job and left Vandy. He didn't get fired.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

why are we so obsessed with former coaches and players?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Looking forward to the Georgia St. game to see for myself. I only care if the basketball team is well-coached to its talent. If it is, anyone with a skill can be productive. Dunleavy wants shooters; I can't wait to see what we've got.
Plan your work, work your plan.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Yankeewave wrote:why are we so obsessed with former coaches and players?
Because it's something to talk about and that's all we have? :)
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote:Also, fwiw, Stallings took the Pitt job and left Vandy. He didn't get fired.
My bad on that, I meant to say he left, not got fired. Hadn't had my coffee... Regardless, clearly reasonable why he left. In my chat with Sehic, I was very impressed with him as a person. As with many or most college basketball players, he dreams of a professional career, but he also highly values a good education. When leaving Vandy, which provided both, he saw Dunleavy plus a Tulane education as a no-brainer for achieving those goals.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
I'm not trying to defend Dylan (as a matter of fact, he can go to hell for all I care) but you don't have to be a CJ about it. I can see how my linking the article confused you on the games though since it didn't mention New Hampshire.
No need to be so defensive and no need to hurl insults. As you admitted it was somewhat misleading. He still hasn't played well against a quality opponent. That's the point.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

Sehic has become a solid contributor who can score, make free throws and best of all, knows how to use his body to position himself to get rebounds. You can tell he's had good coaching. As for why he didn't play as much against SELA, he picked up two quick fouls that put him on the bench. Also Paul was having a monster game. I've never seen him play so well for so long (he's shown flashes in the past).

Roto, the best thing about this team, so far- shooting wise, is that we have a number of shooters. Unlike in the past where we had only a few and, if those few went cold, we were done for. Example- in the SELA game Cornish who is normally a very dependable scorer for us was just ice cold. In the past we would have had a problem overcoming that, instead we still scored almost 90 points.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Roto, assuming you’ll be at Georgia State, we want a first hand report!
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
watched DO and Texas beat Butler tonight. He had a very poor night shooting until he hit his last three shots (two dunks and a left handed hook.) Played ably with great court sense throughout and interesting Smart kept him in the game as it was very close until the last minute. So the coach wanted him on the court in crunch time. One thing has not changed. He is still very slow defensively. Very slow. He cannot help on the weakside defensively and had trouble guarding athletic guys one-on-one. Tomorrow night is against Duke. It will be interesting to see how Duke plays him.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

UT let the Duke game slip away. DO had a very strong game offensively and Bilas was very complimentary of him, "(Dylan has) the highest basketball IQ on the Texas team." However he was an absolute liability on defense and got killed in overtime. With all apologies to Duran, on defense he does have "Feet of Stone."

As long as UT can surround him with players who can compensate for his slowness on defense, UT should do very well. When Bamba fouled out, game over. Smart then put a 6'4" guard to defend Bagley because he had no other choice.

As someone noted above, I miss DO dearly and wish he had stayed at Tulane but if it's a trade we have to make and can't have both then I'll take Sehic.