Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fritz extension?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 pm 
President's Circle

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/9 ... 5828175872
Source: Tulane and Willie Fritz are deep in discussions on a multi-year contract extension. Details expected to be finalized soon.

Fritz is 57, say we give him around 2 mil annually with a sizable buyout, if he gets the program up to his usual winning standards will that be enough for him to retire with us? I'd think after a long career coaching successful teams in backwaters he'd like to get some financial stability out of it.

Post subject: Re: Fritz extension?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:00 pm 
Emerald Circle

When that report about Fritz possibly interviewing with SMU was aired on that Texas site I wondered if he was playing chess & not checkers. I guess he was.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:22 pm 
President's Circle

I was surprised to find out Morris's 2 mil contract with SMU was the biggest in the G5 last year. I think Tom Herman was 3 or 4 mil at Houston before he bolted, but we could send a big message about our level of commitment if we make it the biggest contract in the conference.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:48 pm 
Emerald Circle

Herman made less than $3 mill at UH his last year there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:53 pm 
Navigator Level

1309th WAVE wrote:
I was surprised to find out Morris's 2 mil contract with SMU was the biggest in the G5 last year. I think Tom Herman was 3 or 4 mil at Houston before he bolted, but we could send a big message about our level of commitment if we make it the biggest contract in the conference.

This needs to happen.... bump up Fritz to around 2 million and increase the coaching pool some and make an announcement that the university is fully behind Fritz and company.

Fritz has us going in the right direction.... no need to d!ck around.

Roll Wave.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 am 
Regent's Circle

If we can do the things you mention, I say AMEN !!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:37 am 
Crest Level

This will be a reply to ALL of college football, and not just Tulane.

EVERY YEAR, all over the ENTIRE COUNTRY, people PANIC when they see the high turnover of HC's. Tulane and the American Athletic Conference are no exceptions. Everyone is convinced that someone is going to steal their HC, and they make these outrageous extension offers to these coaches so that they won't jump ship at another opportunity. This is exactly why these guys are GROSSLY OVERPAID. This is also factors into why ticket and booster club membership prices continue to skyrocket all over the place. I do not know how to stop it, but it must be controlled nonetheless.

I acknowledge that Willie Fritz has improved the FB product around here. Football is better right now. However, let me also remind you that Fritz has also coached Tulane to two LOSING seasons. When you put it in those words, that is really not saying that much. When is he going to start winning around here and get back Tulane into bowl eligibility contention?

I am satisfied with the progress, but I also do not want Tulane to OVERPAY another coach and his staff. I am a Tulane alum and a fan, but I will never have the level of funds at my disposal to influence significant change around here. If you want to extend him, please do it with some sense of moderation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:05 pm 
President's Circle

Can someone help me with my computer? All of IM4s posts appear in a different font. That can't be something intentional he/she chose to do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

IM42lane wrote:
and get back Tulane into bowl eligibility contention?

If that is your litmus test, we were very clearly in "bowl eligibility contention" this year. :angel:

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:15 pm 
Regent's Circle

gerryb323 wrote:
Can someone help me with my computer? All of IM4s posts appear in a different font. That can't be something intentional he/she chose to do.

Perhaps he is doing that on purpose. Just because you are paranoid does not mean he isn't out to get you... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:36 pm 
Navigator Level

IM42lane wrote:

EVERY YEAR, all over the ENTIRE COUNTRY, people PANIC when they see the high turnover of HC's. Tulane and the American Athletic Conference are no exceptions. Everyone is convinced that someone is going to steal their HC, and they make these outrageous extension offers to these coaches so that they won't jump ship at another opportunity. This is exactly why these guys are GROSSLY OVERPAID. This is also factors into why ticket and booster club membership prices continue to skyrocket all over the place. I do not know how to stop it, but it must be controlled nonetheless.

I acknowledge that Willie Fritz has improved the FB product around here. Football is better right now. However, let me also remind you that Fritz has also coached Tulane to two LOSING seasons. When you put it in those words, that is really not saying that much. When is he going to start winning around here and get back Tulane into bowl eligibility contention?

I am satisfied with the progress, but I also do not want Tulane to OVERPAY another coach and his staff. I am a Tulane alum and a fan, but I will never have the level of funds at my disposal to influence significant change around here. If you want to extend him, please do it with some sense of moderation.

Quite a reasonable and sensible post, IM. It does make me think about the unilateral decisions Tulane has taken over the decades. At this point in time, we need to be competitive and unafraid. No need for us to set a "good example."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:30 pm 
Navigator Level

No brainer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:37 pm 
Navigator Level

CT Wave wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

Quite a reasonable and sensible post, IM. It does make me think about the unilateral decisions Tulane has taken over the decades. At this point in time, we need to be competitive and unafraid. No need for us to set a "good example."

Tulane needs to be proactive with this and not reactive.... might actually work out in the university's favor if they do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

Luvs da Wave wrote:
No brainer.

Yep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:12 am 
Regent's Circle

IM42lane wrote:

Let's never forget our previous A.D. did reward losing coaches with extensions despite the complete lack of interest from outside. I trust our current A.D.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:47 pm 
Crest Level

CT Wave wrote:
IM42lane wrote:

I am satisfied with the progress, but I also do not want Tulane to OVERPAY another coach and his staff. I am a Tulane alum and a fan, but I will never have the level of funds at my disposal to influence significant change around here. If you want to extend him, please do it with some sense of moderation. [/b]

[b] Thank you for the kind words. As I type this reply, I just hope that they are not giving him a 10-year extension similar to what Benny Ellender got in the 1970's. His W-L record so far does not deserve that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:31 pm 
Riptide Level

I'm all for it for two reasons that give me hope:

1) I'm a greenie through and through, but I l like football. Competitive football. I've had tickets for years and I keep coming back hoping for competive football. Prior to CWF, we've had lots of years where teams roll over and die. This season, outside of FIU, there wasn't a game we weren't competive. Even OU we punched in the face and knocked them down before they recovered. I have strong hope that we will remain competive with Fritz.

2) We're in a league where all programs are striving and taking risks. We don't get the money of the P5, but all the schools in the league seem to be striving to make the point they belong. I think extending CWF shows we're will to make the a $$$ commitment and risk money on developing the program. Time will tell if Fritz is the man, but I think he could be and am glad the admin is willing to step out on a limb.

If they didn't think he could be them man then you get rid of him now. With the current landscape you can't hedge your bets. You either go strong in on a hand you think has good odds, or you fold, cut your loses and start again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:25 am 
Emerald Circle

wwave, some of oldtimers still feel burned by the 10 year extension that we gave Bennie Ellender after the 1973 season, an extension that later seemed unwise. On the other hand we've also seen Tulane's tried and true "Frugal Approach": bring in a cheap assistant and if he wins some offer him a little more. And that has been, for the most part, a dismal failure. I think its time we come to terms with the fact that the coaching landscape has changed, radically. Thus your final conclusion:

If they didn't think he could be them man then you get rid of him now. With the current landscape you can't hedge your bets. You either go strong in on a hand you think has good odds, or you fold, cut your loses and start again.

Is dead on. Well put.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:00 am 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
wwave, some of oldtimers still feel burned by the 10 year extension that we gave Bennie Ellender after the 1973 season, an extension that later seemed unwise.

Yea, in 1975 it seemed unwise when everyone was angry at the blowout loss v. a mediocre LSU team.
Today, it seems pretty wise.

This is a must-do really. The teams that are likely to come after him are the types that which we have a reasonable chance of fending-off, if we are proactive. And, the way I see the landscape, the pressure will come after next season: because a)we'll be good and b) the teams likely to be attracted by Fritz will be making a change.

Last edited by GSx on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:01 am 
President's Circle

wwave wrote:
I'm all for it for two reasons that give me hope:

1) I'm a greenie through and through, but I l like football. Competitive football. I've had tickets for years and I keep coming back hoping for competive football. Prior to CWF, we've had lots of years where teams roll over and die. This season, outside of FIU, there wasn't a game we weren't competive. Even OU we punched in the face and knocked them down before they recovered. I have strong hope that we will remain competive with Fritz.

We were not competitive against OU or Memphis and fell behind to USF by 34 at home. Football games are 60 minutes not 22.5. I agree with the Fritz extension, moderate as it was, because, although he has righted the ship, we aren't making any headway YET. I thought we were headed to a bad place after the four straight losses, but he fixed it and saved himself and our optimism. Years three and four are where we will see if he is the right man for Tulane football going forward. This year's recruiting class is a major step.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:08 am 
Emerald Circle

There was a lot of room for optimism from the Oklahoma game. It’s reductive to try to deny that.

Less so after USF

Negative optimism points (in a big way) after Memphis and FIU

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:19 am 
Regent's Circle

I'm not ready to storm the castle over this extension, but if it's true that his original contract was for 6 years, I don't really see much need for an extension now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:38 am 
President's Circle

WaveProf wrote:
There was a lot of room for optimism from the Oklahoma game. It’s reductive to try to deny that.

I will never be optimistic after getting beat 56-14. Sorry, that's just the way I am. I wasn't upset about the loss because a) I knew we weren't ready, as a program, to win and b) it was a "throw away" game for us, done as much for the money as anything else. And I do not want to hear anything about "moral victories," I'm way beyond that cr@p.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:39 pm 
Emerald Circle

Im not into moral victories. But I am into evaluating what I see in front of me in terms of what it means for the future. A la Nick Saban, you can find a lot of positives in some losses and a lot of negatives in some victories. For me--and one could easily disagree with this--let's just say that I was far more "optimistic" about our future after the Oklahoma loss than I was after the Army or ECU "wins." And I'm not ashamed to say it. Doesn't mean I was happy or content with the outcome, but it does mean that I thought we showed a LOT to be enthusiastic about that day.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:29 pm 
Navigator Level

GreenieBacker wrote:
wwave, some of oldtimers still feel burned by the 10 year extension that we gave Bennie Ellender after the 1973 season, an extension that later seemed unwise. On the other hand we've also seen Tulane's tried and true "Frugal Approach": bring in a cheap assistant and if he wins some offer him a little more. And that has been, for the most part, a dismal failure. I think its time we come to terms with the fact that the coaching landscape has changed, radically. Thus your final conclusion:

Is dead on. Well put.

Disagree about your complaint on the Ellender extension. Guess I am an oldtimer now, but I believe the mistake was firing Bennie after some hard luck seasons. The man could coach and recruit and loved Tulane. Never understood his firing.