Season opener versus Wake Forest moved to Thursday 8/30

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Re: Season opener versus Wake Forest moved to Thursday 8/30

Post by Wavefan »

Some of y'all just aren't ever satisfied. We play six or seven home games a year. PLAN AROUND THEM. I think a Thursday opener is super. By then I am so ready for Tulane football.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

The reality is thursday games are not about attendance, but rather TV. How many families are going to show up? I'll be there, but you think my wife and kids will be going during the week night? One less game for them and two to three less bodies in the stands. How many casual out of towners will make it? I'm not upset I like not having to help watch a 2 year Old at the game. I'm just pointing out that for families and out of towners it really encourages you to stay at home and watch on TV. I am willing to bet we will be on ESPN 2 or something like that. At least it is at night.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

No doubt I am the exception but I will try to fly in for the game... I am truly excited about next season. To see some of these new Defensive linesmen and our offense with another year of experience go against a formidable foe. Should be a great game to see. Anyway that you can!!
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Rotorooter wrote:I just hope the WF game is at night. The opener in 2014 against GT was just scorchingly hot and people were dropping like flies.

A small benefit to an opening Thursday game is that it lets the team get in 3 extra practice days to start the season.
I'm pretty sure a Thursday game is not going to be during the day
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

SirLurxalot wrote:I'm sorry y'all, but if I go along with the "P6" thing then I have to refer to that school in Lafayette as the University of Louisana and I refuse to do that.

If we become P6, I'll call USL whatever the frick they want to be called
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Re: Season opener versus Wake Forest moved to Thursday 8 / 3

Post by IM42lane »

wavedom wrote: I don't like it and our attendance for these Thursday games haven't gotten any kind of bump out of this.
I do not like mid-week games either. However, starting the season with a Thursday game is not that bad. I do not like these weekly game days in the middle of the season because the recovery time from the previous weekend is too short.

It will be HOT and HUMID for this thing, even if they play at night. Get the cooler, sky-blue tops ready to go. ROLL GREEN (and BLUE) WAVE!!!!
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I hold these truths to be self evident:

Rule One: Midweek away games are good because they free up the weekend

Rule Two: Midweek home games are bad because they kill the atmosphere in the stadium and at tailgate

Exception to Rule Two: Midweek game week one is better because it gives extra practice time & everyone is so excited for the first game that it doesn't matter that its midweek

Exception to the Exception to Rule Two: When the opening game is against a marquee, or relatively marquee, opponent, then it is preferable that it be on the weekend
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Season opener versus Wake Forest moved to Thursday 8 / 3

Post by wavedom »

IM42lane wrote:
wavedom wrote: I don't like it and our attendance for these Thursday games haven't gotten any kind of bump out of this.
I do not like mid-week games either. However, starting the season with a Thursday game is not that bad. I do not like these weekly game days in the middle of the season because the recovery time from the previous weekend is too short.

It will be HOT and HUMID for this thing, even if they play at night. Get the cooler, sky-blue tops ready to go. ROLL GREEN (and BLUE) WAVE!!!!
Actually those midweek games during the middle of the season give a team rest on both ends. They don't play the weekend before and then they have extra time for the following game.
We deserve so much better
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote:I hold these truths to be self evident:

Rule One: Midweek away games are good because they free up the weekend

Rule Two: Midweek home games are bad because they kill the atmosphere in the stadium and at tailgate

Exception to Rule Two: Midweek game week one is better because it gives extra practice time & everyone is so excited for the first game that it doesn't matter that its midweek

Exception to the Exception to Rule Two: When the opening game is against a marquee, or relatively marquee, opponent, then it is preferable that it be on the weekend
As to exception to rule two it doesn't give extra practice time. The start pushes up just slightly to allow the same number of day before your first game. As to the excitement it is clearly not to a level that helps our attendance as it has ben pretty empty for these Thursday games. Our AD needs to push for Saturday night openers.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Tulane fans will complain no matter what. It's a Thursday game (which is not midweek), it's bad for attendance and tailgating. It's a 230 game, it's bad for attendance because of kids soccer games, it's an 11am game, it's bad for tailgating and student attendance, it's a night game, it's bad for kids and student attendance because they want to go out and leave at halftime.
enviro5609
Navigator Level

Post by enviro5609 »

Baywave1 wrote:
SirLurxalot wrote:I'm sorry y'all, but if I go along with the "P6" thing then I have to refer to that school in Lafayette as the University of Louisana and I refuse to do that.
Disagree but that is funny. Try it another way. If ESPN can refer to ULL as "Louisiana" then we can refer to "P6" with a straight face don't you think? Meanwhile you can call USL whatever you want. I do.
I’d take that deal in a heartbeat. (Not that it’s realistic). Who cares about ULL. Let them call themselves whatever they want. If we are in a consensus power conference and they aren’t, we can laugh all the way to the bank at “Louisiana.”
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

FW wrote:Tulane fans will complain no matter what. It's a Thursday game (which is not midweek), it's bad for attendance and tailgating. It's a 230 game, it's bad for attendance because of kids soccer games, it's an 11am game, it's bad for tailgating and student attendance, it's a night game, it's bad for kids and student attendance because they want to go out and leave at halftime.
I get that out of town fans think they'd give anything if only they could live here and go to all the games. They feel that all of us who live here should never complain since we can go to all the home games. The reality is that when you've lived here all this time and paid for season tickets and gone to all the games and suffered through watching mostly losing for decades you'd like to have some say in when we play. Most fans want the games on Saturday at 7 at night. I know some say well by mid October it's okay if the games are in the afternoon due to the change in weather. The weather this season showed all games should be at 7. We know TV has a lot of say as to when the games are played. However the school can let the league and the networks know that our preference is Saturday nights at 7. If you'd stayed here after school and experienced all that you'd understand.
Last edited by wavedom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I wish all success in figuring out how to come to WF. The next home game will certainly be a Saturday night kickoff against Nicholls as TV won't impact that one. However am I wrong in expecting to see posts here stating, "I'm not going to see an FCS team and why is Tulane is numbing down the schedule?"
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

wavedom wrote:
FW wrote:Tulane fans will complain no matter what. It's a Thursday game (which is not midweek), it's bad for attendance and tailgating. It's a 230 game, it's bad for attendance because of kids soccer games, it's an 11am game, it's bad for tailgating and student attendance, it's a night game, it's bad for kids and student attendance because they want to go out and leave at halftime.
I get that out of town fans think they'd give anything if only they could live here and go to all the games. They feel that all of us who live here should never complain since we can go to all the home games. The reality is that when you've lived here all this time and paid for season tickets and gone to all the games and suffered through watching mostly losing for decades you'd like to have some say in when we play. Most fans want the games on Saturday at 7 at night. I know some say well by mid October it's okay if the games are in the afternoon due to the change in weather. The weather this season showed all games should be at 7. We know TV has a lot of say as to when the games are played. However the school can let the league and the networks that our preference is Saturday nights at 7. If you'd stayed here after school and experienced all that you'd understand.
No, not really. It's 6 or 7 days a year. I'd go to those games, unless I was in jail.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote:The reality is that when you've lived here all this time and paid for season tickets and gone to all the games and suffered through watching mostly losing for decades you'd like to have some say in when we play.
You'd like to. But that's not how college (or pro, or even high school) sports work whatsoever. The problem is that the internet has created a heightened belief that this is the case (and in occasional instances - see Schiano to Tennessee - it becomes reality).
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

FW wrote:
wavedom wrote:
I get that out of town fans think they'd give anything if only they could live here and go to all the games. They feel that all of us who live here should never complain since we can go to all the home games. The reality is that when you've lived here all this time and paid for season tickets and gone to all the games and suffered through watching mostly losing for decades you'd like to have some say in when we play. Most fans want the games on Saturday at 7 at night. I know some say well by mid October it's okay if the games are in the afternoon due to the change in weather. The weather this season showed all games should be at 7. We know TV has a lot of say as to when the games are played. However the school can let the league and the networks that our preference is Saturday nights at 7. If you'd stayed here after school and experienced all that you'd understand.
No, not really. It's 6 or 7 days a year. I'd go to those games, unless I was in jail.
Sure you would. Back to reality. t's a lot of time and money invested by those of us that go. We actually do have family and work obligations. Those 6 or 7 days are compacted into a 3 month period and actually do put you into a situation of having to chose to miss your children's games or the Tulane game. We merit consideration. Lots of it when you consider the horrendous losing record we have endured.
Last edited by wavedom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
wavedom wrote:The reality is that when you've lived here all this time and paid for season tickets and gone to all the games and suffered through watching mostly losing for decades you'd like to have some say in when we play.
You'd like to. But that's not how college (or pro, or even high school) sports work whatsoever. The problem is that the internet has created a heightened belief that this is the case (and in occasional instances - see Schiano to Tennessee - it becomes reality).
First off note that I said we'd LIKE to have a say. Then you left off the part where I said it's part of the AD's job to speak up for us. LSU's AD dd just that a few years ago after they were given several early home games. Things have changed since he spoke up. The reality is that athletic departments do monitor these sites and thus fans opinions are given attention from time to time.
Last edited by wavedom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Baywave1 wrote:I wish all success in figuring out how to come to WF. The next home game will certainly be a Saturday night kickoff against Nicholls as TV won't impact that one. However am I wrong in expecting to see posts here stating, "I'm not going to see an FCS team and why is Tulane is numbing down the schedule?"
The lead Tulane fan hater strikes again. Actually people will enjoy that game as they appreciated this years Grambling game being on a Saturday night. Went with expectations of an easy win and we got it. We'll expect a little more out of Nicholls but will be confident that we will own the night.

Those of us that have gone and and gone and gone and endured Tulane football deserve respect and appreciation not condemnation. These fan forums are for us to express our wishes and we will continue to do so.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

I'd rather a Thursday night game than a Saturday night game and a Saturday 11 AM kickoff over anything else.

All this snowflake talk of the fans having a say is amusing. Next people will complain about too many college kids on the quad or having to pay for a tailgate.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Says the snowflake that doesn't go to Tulane games.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

wavedom wrote:Says the snowflake that doesn't go to Tulane games.
Went to two road games this year. When Tulane is accessible I go and I don't whine about how entitled I am "because I've been a fan so long." HTFU
#cousins don't count
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

There are thousands of different preferences about game time. There is no way to satisfy everyone. One person may have their kid's football game in the afternoon; another might have a recital in the evening; another might have to pick up their in-laws at the airport or attend a wedding. Whatever it is, there will be many people who are impacted, and it is ludicrous to insinuate that the schedule should (or even could) take every fan's schedule into account. The best you can hope for is that they'll work the schedule around other important events (like Saints games, for instance, which hardly ever fall on the same day anyhow).
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

windywave wrote:
Went to two road games this year. When Tulane is accessible I go and I don't whine about how entitled I am "because I've been a fan so long." HTFU
Come back in a few decades after living here and going to all the games. Later snowflake.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Roller wrote:There are thousands of different preferences about game time. There is no way to satisfy everyone. One person may have their kid's football game in the afternoon; another might have a recital in the evening; another might have to pick up their in-laws at the airport or attend a wedding. Whatever it is, there will be many people who are impacted, and it is ludicrous to insinuate that the schedule should (or even could) take every fan's schedule into account. The best you can hope for is that they'll work the schedule around other important events (like Saints games, for instance, which hardly ever fall on the same day anyhow).
Well no one suggested that. What is known is that most of us that go prefer Saturday nights at 7. So they should strive to accommodate that.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
Come back in a few decades after living here and going to all the games. Later snowflake.
Um okay great logic.
#cousins don't count