Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:00 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17973
Location: Chicago
wavedom wrote:
Roller wrote:
There are thousands of different preferences about game time. There is no way to satisfy everyone. One person may have their kid's football game in the afternoon; another might have a recital in the evening; another might have to pick up their in-laws at the airport or attend a wedding. Whatever it is, there will be many people who are impacted, and it is ludicrous to insinuate that the schedule should (or even could) take every fan's schedule into account. The best you can hope for is that they'll work the schedule around other important events (like Saints games, for instance, which hardly ever fall on the same day anyhow).


Well no one suggested that. What is known is that most of us that go prefer Saturday nights at 7. So they should strive to accommodate that.


How is it known?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:47 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Posts: 29887
Location: Chattanooga, TN
wavedom wrote:
FW wrote:
wavedom wrote:
FW wrote:
Tulane fans will complain no matter what. It's a Thursday game (which is not midweek), it's bad for attendance and tailgating. It's a 230 game, it's bad for attendance because of kids soccer games, it's an 11am game, it's bad for tailgating and student attendance, it's a night game, it's bad for kids and student attendance because they want to go out and leave at halftime.


I get that out of town fans think they'd give anything if only they could live here and go to all the games. They feel that all of us who live here should never complain since we can go to all the home games. The reality is that when you've lived here all this time and paid for season tickets and gone to all the games and suffered through watching mostly losing for decades you'd like to have some say in when we play. Most fans want the games on Saturday at 7 at night. I know some say well by mid October it's okay if the games are in the afternoon due to the change in weather. The weather this season showed all games should be at 7. We know TV has a lot of say as to when the games are played. However the school can let the league and the networks that our preference is Saturday nights at 7. If you'd stayed here after school and experienced all that you'd understand.


No, not really. It's 6 or 7 days a year. I'd go to those games, unless I was in jail.


Sure you would. Back to reality. t's a lot of time and money invested by those of us that go. We actually do have family and work obligations. Those 6 or 7 days are compacted into a 3 month period and actually do put you into a situation of having to chose to miss your children's games or the Tulane game. We merit consideration. Lots of it when you consider the horrendous losing record we have endured.


I know that, I live in the real world, I also know fans of other teams find a way to get to games 6 times a year and don't complain about everything.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:23 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2063
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Says the snowflake that doesn't go to Tulane games.


Went to two road games this year. When Tulane is accessible I go and I don't whine about how entitled I am "because I've been a fan so long." HTFU


Oh Great Northern One, day you make any of the scrimmages???


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:34 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5878
Location: Gretna, LA
TV picks game times/dates. That's a fact of life if you follow college football at higher than the CUSA level. It's not a matter of anyone listening to anyone, other than TV telling you (after writing their rather large check to the conference) what you'll be doing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:49 pm 
Offline
Cornerstone
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:24 am
Posts: 29887
Location: Chattanooga, TN
GretnaGrn wrote:
TV picks game times/dates. That's a fact of life if you follow college football at higher than the CUSA level. It's not a matter of anyone listening to anyone, other than TV telling you (after writing their rather large check to the conference) what you'll be doing.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:55 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Posts: 20056
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans
GretnaGrn wrote:
TV picks game times/dates. That's a fact of life if you follow college football at higher than the CUSA level. It's not a matter of anyone listening to anyone, other than TV telling you (after writing their rather large check to the conference) what you'll be doing.


This.

Our preferences, at most, can impact ONE game a year. Against our FCS opponent. That's about it.

_________________
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:10 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Says the snowflake that doesn't go to Tulane games.


Went to two road games this year. When Tulane is accessible I go and I don't whine about how entitled I am "because I've been a fan so long." HTFU


Come back in a few decades after living here and going to all the games. Later snowflake.


Um okay great logic.


Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:14 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Roller wrote:
There are thousands of different preferences about game time. There is no way to satisfy everyone. One person may have their kid's football game in the afternoon; another might have a recital in the evening; another might have to pick up their in-laws at the airport or attend a wedding. Whatever it is, there will be many people who are impacted, and it is ludicrous to insinuate that the schedule should (or even could) take every fan's schedule into account. The best you can hope for is that they'll work the schedule around other important events (like Saints games, for instance, which hardly ever fall on the same day anyhow).


Well no one suggested that. What is known is that most of us that go prefer Saturday nights at 7. So they should strive to accommodate that.


How is it known?


Well if you lived here for decades and went to all the games for decades and hung out with various factions of our fan base for decades you'd know that's what they want. More importantly the one AD who did a poll on it, Kevin White, found out that that's what the overwhelming majority of our fan base wanted. So let Dannen poll us season ticket buyers who go to the games and I guarantee the response will be the same.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:17 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
FW wrote:
wavedom wrote:
FW wrote:
wavedom wrote:
FW wrote:
Tulane fans will complain no matter what. It's a Thursday game (which is not midweek), it's bad for attendance and tailgating. It's a 230 game, it's bad for attendance because of kids soccer games, it's an 11am game, it's bad for tailgating and student attendance, it's a night game, it's bad for kids and student attendance because they want to go out and leave at halftime.


I get that out of town fans think they'd give anything if only they could live here and go to all the games. They feel that all of us who live here should never complain since we can go to all the home games. The reality is that when you've lived here all this time and paid for season tickets and gone to all the games and suffered through watching mostly losing for decades you'd like to have some say in when we play. Most fans want the games on Saturday at 7 at night. I know some say well by mid October it's okay if the games are in the afternoon due to the change in weather. The weather this season showed all games should be at 7. We know TV has a lot of say as to when the games are played. However the school can let the league and the networks that our preference is Saturday nights at 7. If you'd stayed here after school and experienced all that you'd understand.


No, not really. It's 6 or 7 days a year. I'd go to those games, unless I was in jail.


Sure you would. Back to reality. t's a lot of time and money invested by those of us that go. We actually do have family and work obligations. Those 6 or 7 days are compacted into a 3 month period and actually do put you into a situation of having to chose to miss your children's games or the Tulane game. We merit consideration. Lots of it when you consider the horrendous losing record we have endured.


I know that, I live in the real world, I also know fans of other teams find a way to get to games 6 times a year and don't complain about everything.


In the real world those teams that draw have won for the last 7 decades. We haven't. Worse is that the losing has come against mostly minor competition. So one should strive to accommodate their fan base in that situation. No one in our fan base complains about everything. Football starting times though are one of the most important things that people care about.


Last edited by wavedom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:19 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
GretnaGrn wrote:
TV picks game times/dates. That's a fact of life if you follow college football at higher than the CUSA level. It's not a matter of anyone listening to anyone, other than TV telling you (after writing their rather large check to the conference) what you'll be doing.



And I noted that. However it's also true that your athletic department can let the league and the networks know what your preference is. That's all I've asked of Dannen on this issue. LSU has done it and they have since been accommodated for the most part. True story.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:48 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:25 pm
Posts: 1756
Location: Pass Christian, MS
Wavedom, I live an hour and 20 minutes away from Yulman. I made every game this year, even when game times were less than perfect (10 or 11 am start, anyone?) or moved last minute due to storms. I have plenty of other obligations, but made it. I only say that to preface my statement that I like a Thursday night opener, especially when that Thursday is the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. It makes sense. We opened this year on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and despite what you think, it was a poor Tulane crowd. TU fans were outnumbered by Grambling fans and there weren't even that many of them (total attendance 15,940). We played Duke on a Thursday (the opener) in 2015, and it was our 5th largest crowd thus far (25,470) at Yulman. Ten thousand more people went to a Thursday night game than this year's opener on a Saturday...and I guarantee you, Tulane fans weren't not outnumbered by Duke fans.

By the way, unsurprisingly, the opener with GA Tech is the attendance leader, and while it was Saturday, September 6th, it was the weekend following Labor Day, as Labor Day was September 1. It was also Yulman's opening game....and something else I don't mind guaranteeing....had it been on a Thursday, it would have still been a SRO crowd.

I can now go to Florida or Gulf Shores for Labor Day, which is something I skipped this year just so I could make the game. Student turnout will be better. I think Wake Forest is a bigger draw than Grambling. Yes, it stinks that I will have to rush over straight from work, miss tailgating, but oh well...I will do it because I love TU and then my weekend will be free! No matter what day of the week, no matter what time, I want to be there.

To be fair, the season opener for 2016 against Southern had a crowd of 27,179, but it was also the weekend after Labor Day weekend, and it was very well attended by TU and Southern fans alike. Fritz's first game as TU coach. Lot's of excitement for that opener.


Last edited by sprout1550 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:24 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:49 am
Posts: 5878
Location: Gretna, LA
wavedom wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
TV picks game times/dates. That's a fact of life if you follow college football at higher than the CUSA level. It's not a matter of anyone listening to anyone, other than TV telling you (after writing their rather large check to the conference) what you'll be doing.



And I noted that. However it's also true that your athletic department can let the league and the networks know what your preference is. That's all I've asked of Dannen on this issue. LSU has done it and they have since been accommodated for the most part. True story.

The SEC and LoSer-U sadly have just a smidge more pull than we do. You also obviously missed the very loud whining from Baton Rouge about more than one of their game times being set by TV this season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:27 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
sprout1550 wrote:
Wavedom, I live an hour and 20 minutes away from Yulman. I made every game this year, even when game times were less than perfect (10 or 11 am start, anyone?) or moved last minute due to storms. I have plenty of other obligations, but made it. I only say that to preface my statement that I like a Thursday night opener, especially when that Thursday is the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. It makes sense. We opened this year on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend, and despite what you think, it was a poor Tulane crowd. TU fans were outnumbered by Grambling fans and there weren't even that many of them (total attendance 15,940). We played Duke on a Thursday (the opener) in 2015, and it was our 5th largest crowd thus far (25,470) at Yulman. Ten thousand more people went to a Thursday night game than this year's opener on a Saturday...and I guarantee you, Tulane fans weren't not outnumbered by Duke fans.

By the way, unsurprisingly, the opener with GA Tech is the attendance leader, and while it was Saturday, September 6th, it was the weekend following Labor Day, as Labor Day was September 1. It was also Yulman's opening game....and something else I don't mind guaranteeing....had it been on a Thursday, it would have still been a SRO crowd.

I can now go to Florida or Gulf Shores for Labor Day, which is something I skipped this year just so I could make the game. Student turnout will be better. I think Wake Forest is a bigger draw than Grambling. Yes, it stinks that I will have to rush over straight from work, miss tailgating, but oh well...I will do it because I love TU and then my weekend will be free! No matter what day of the week, no matter what time, I want to be there.

To be fair, the season opener for 2016 against Southern had a crowd of 27,179, but it was also the weekend after Labor Day weekend, and it was very well attended by TU and Southern fans alike. Fritz's first game as TU coach. Lot's of excitement for that opener.


I appreciate your efforts. You are like may of our northshore fans with your commute. Glad your plans can be accommodated but again you're just one . As for the Grambling game it was like most of our home games. The crowds are Domeesque at this point with usually less than 5,000. At almost all of our games this year we were matched or outnumbered by the visitors. As for the Duke game a D-1 team will always bring out more than an FCS in similar situations and we all know the numbers put out are just made up. The point is the crowd would have been bigger for Duke on Saturday at 7. School is in full swing now and many stay put.

As for the Ga. Tech game that's a useless data point being it was the first game in the history of the Stadium. However if played at 7 on Saturday night dozens would have avoided a trip to the hospital. Many of those have never returned to a game.

As for the Southern game it drew better on Saturday than it would have on Thursday.

As for the Wake game I'll be there too. But being unselfish I realize many that do like to go on a regular basis won't make it but would have on Saturday night.

Back to the point I have been making. To optimize our crowds we are best served by playing on Saturday's at 7. Every effort should be made to make that happen.


Last edited by wavedom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:31 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
GretnaGrn wrote:
wavedom wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
TV picks game times/dates. That's a fact of life if you follow college football at higher than the CUSA level. It's not a matter of anyone listening to anyone, other than TV telling you (after writing their rather large check to the conference) what you'll be doing.



And I noted that. However it's also true that your athletic department can let the league and the networks know what your preference is. That's all I've asked of Dannen on this issue. LSU has done it and they have since been accommodated for the most part. True story.

The SEC and LoSer-U sadly have just a smidge more pull than we do. You also obviously missed the very loud whining from Baton Rouge about more than one of their game times being set by TV this season.


They didn't have any complaints for the couple of years before that b/c their AD stepped up. Just think ours should do the same. We are in a smaller conference that gets a lot smaller check. Some of our games are on-line only . so it shouldn't take as much pull to get it done.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:38 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 5142
wavedom wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
I wish all success in figuring out how to come to WF. The next home game will certainly be a Saturday night kickoff against Nicholls as TV won't impact that one. However am I wrong in expecting to see posts here stating, "I'm not going to see an FCS team and why is Tulane is numbing down the schedule?"


The lead Tulane fan hater strikes again. Actually people will enjoy that game as they appreciated this years Grambling game being on a Saturday night. Went with expectations of an easy win and we got it. We'll expect a little more out of Nicholls but will be confident that we will own the night.

Those of us that have gone and and gone and gone and endured Tulane football deserve respect and appreciation not condemnation. These fan forums are for us to express our wishes and we will continue to do so.


???? Look I know at this point you may feel like everyone is piling on so I won't do it. I'm in favor of whatever puts the most fans in the seats at every game. Period. I'm ok with Thursday. Some are not. OK, I get it even though I disagree. It doesn't matter to me if you show up as a Tulane fan at high noon or 11:59pm right before midnight pumpkin time, to mix several parables, we all get paid the same reward. in short, I'm with you.

We simply do not have enough fans for me to "hate" anyone who comes to Tulane games. Candidly saying I'm the "number one Tulane fan hater" that gives me pause. Wow. Everyone here has sat through more than enough bad times. No bandwagoners show up at this forum except the occasional Tigger troller. But I will confess I lose some patience (and ok, I'll do better) with those who "prefer" Tulane but who find reasons not to attend Tulane games. Please come to the games if you can. I understand if you can't. I trust you'll come next time. Give your tickets to someone who will use them if you can. I don't think I'm alone in that Krewe.

Being a fan should be fun. I enjoy going to Tulane games. I simply encourage others to join me after 60 years. Nothing more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:39 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17973
Location: Chicago
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Roller wrote:
There are thousands of different preferences about game time. There is no way to satisfy everyone. One person may have their kid's football game in the afternoon; another might have a recital in the evening; another might have to pick up their in-laws at the airport or attend a wedding. Whatever it is, there will be many people who are impacted, and it is ludicrous to insinuate that the schedule should (or even could) take every fan's schedule into account. The best you can hope for is that they'll work the schedule around other important events (like Saints games, for instance, which hardly ever fall on the same day anyhow).


Well no one suggested that. What is known is that most of us that go prefer Saturday nights at 7. So they should strive to accommodate that.


How is it known?


Well if you lived here for decades and went to all the games for decades and hung out with various factions of our fan base for decades you'd know that's what they want. More importantly the one AD who did a poll on it, Kevin White, found out that that's what the overwhelming majority of our fan base wanted. So let Dannen poll us season ticket buyers who go to the games and I guarantee the response will be the same.


Kevin White was the AD before I even attended Tulane. I don't go to every game in person obviously, but I make the games I can attend (I spent 8 hours in a car to drive to OU from DFW and back, and I plan to drive from Chicago to Columbus though I will spend the night). I think others can attest that I watch games on TV. Games at 11 AM are my preference for in person or TV, but then again I like kegs and eggs for a tailgate


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:40 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17973
Location: Chicago
wavedom wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
wavedom wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
TV picks game times/dates. That's a fact of life if you follow college football at higher than the CUSA level. It's not a matter of anyone listening to anyone, other than TV telling you (after writing their rather large check to the conference) what you'll be doing.



And I noted that. However it's also true that your athletic department can let the league and the networks know what your preference is. That's all I've asked of Dannen on this issue. LSU has done it and they have since been accommodated for the most part. True story.

The SEC and LoSer-U sadly have just a smidge more pull than we do. You also obviously missed the very loud whining from Baton Rouge about more than one of their game times being set by TV this season.


They didn't have any complaints for the couple of years before that b/c their AD stepped up. Just think ours should do the same. We are in a smaller conference that gets a lot smaller check. Some of our games are on-line only . so it shouldn't take as much pull to get it done.


So would you rather Big 12 and 3 PM kickoffs or AAC and permanent 7PM kick offs?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:20 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
Baywave1 wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
I wish all success in figuring out how to come to WF. The next home game will certainly be a Saturday night kickoff against Nicholls as TV won't impact that one. However am I wrong in expecting to see posts here stating, "I'm not going to see an FCS team and why is Tulane is numbing down the schedule?"


The lead Tulane fan hater strikes again. Actually people will enjoy that game as they appreciated this years Grambling game being on a Saturday night. Went with expectations of an easy win and we got it. We'll expect a little more out of Nicholls but will be confident that we will own the night.

Those of us that have gone and and gone and gone and endured Tulane football deserve respect and appreciation not condemnation. These fan forums are for us to express our wishes and we will continue to do so.


???? Look I know at this point you may feel like everyone is piling on so I won't do it. I'm in favor of whatever puts the most fans in the seats at every game. Period. I'm ok with Thursday. Some are not. OK, I get it even though I disagree. It doesn't matter to me if you show up as a Tulane fan at high noon or 11:59pm right before midnight pumpkin time, to mix several parables, we all get paid the same reward. in short, I'm with you.

We simply do not have enough fans for me to "hate" anyone who comes to Tulane games. Candidly saying I'm the "number one Tulane fan hater" that gives me pause. Wow. Everyone here has sat through more than enough bad times. No bandwagoners show up at this forum except the occasional Tigger troller. But I will confess I lose some patience (and ok, I'll do better) with those who "prefer" Tulane but who find reasons not to attend Tulane games. Please come to the games if you can. I understand if you can't. I trust you'll come next time. Give your tickets to someone who will use them if you can. I don't think I'm alone in that Krewe.

Being a fan should be fun. I enjoy going to Tulane games. I simply encourage others to join me after 60 years. Nothing more.


I think my post have made it clear that I attend all the games. However I understand that's me and not the average fan who this program needs to get back. I want what's best for the program and most that we could draw back want the games on Saturday's at 7. People don't find reasons. If one is put in a bind of choosing Tulane games or their kids game on a Saturday they are going to their kids game. There's just a lot less conflict when the game is at 7 on a Saturday.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:23 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Roller wrote:
There are thousands of different preferences about game time. There is no way to satisfy everyone. One person may have their kid's football game in the afternoon; another might have a recital in the evening; another might have to pick up their in-laws at the airport or attend a wedding. Whatever it is, there will be many people who are impacted, and it is ludicrous to insinuate that the schedule should (or even could) take every fan's schedule into account. The best you can hope for is that they'll work the schedule around other important events (like Saints games, for instance, which hardly ever fall on the same day anyhow).


Well no one suggested that. What is known is that most of us that go prefer Saturday nights at 7. So they should strive to accommodate that.


How is it known?


Well if you lived here for decades and went to all the games for decades and hung out with various factions of our fan base for decades you'd know that's what they want. More importantly the one AD who did a poll on it, Kevin White, found out that that's what the overwhelming majority of our fan base wanted. So let Dannen poll us season ticket buyers who go to the games and I guarantee the response will be the same.


Kevin White was the AD before I even attended Tulane. I don't go to every game in person obviously, but I make the games I can attend (I spent 8 hours in a car to drive to OU from DFW and back, and I plan to drive from Chicago to Columbus though I will spend the night). I think others can attest that I watch games on TV. Games at 11 AM are my preference for in person or TV, but then again I like kegs and eggs for a tailgate


Just b/c it was before you were there doesn't change the fact that when asked our season ticket holders said loud and clear we want the games at 7 on Saturday's. No one is questioning your fanhood, There is however no comparison to you going to one game that requires some extra effort and fans who live here and go to the games for decades despite the losing and their desire that the games at least be on Saturday's at 7. We've earned some deference from Tulane.


Last edited by wavedom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:25 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17973
Location: Chicago
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Roller wrote:
There are thousands of different preferences about game time. There is no way to satisfy everyone. One person may have their kid's football game in the afternoon; another might have a recital in the evening; another might have to pick up their in-laws at the airport or attend a wedding. Whatever it is, there will be many people who are impacted, and it is ludicrous to insinuate that the schedule should (or even could) take every fan's schedule into account. The best you can hope for is that they'll work the schedule around other important events (like Saints games, for instance, which hardly ever fall on the same day anyhow).


Well no one suggested that. What is known is that most of us that go prefer Saturday nights at 7. So they should strive to accommodate that.


How is it known?


Well if you lived here for decades and went to all the games for decades and hung out with various factions of our fan base for decades you'd know that's what they want. More importantly the one AD who did a poll on it, Kevin White, found out that that's what the overwhelming majority of our fan base wanted. So let Dannen poll us season ticket buyers who go to the games and I guarantee the response will be the same.


Kevin White was the AD before I even attended Tulane. I don't go to every game in person obviously, but I make the games I can attend (I spent 8 hours in a car to drive to OU from DFW and back, and I plan to drive from Chicago to Columbus though I will spend the night). I think others can attest that I watch games on TV. Games at 11 AM are my preference for in person or TV, but then again I like kegs and eggs for a tailgate


No one is questioning your fanhood, There is however no comparison to you going to one game that requires some extra effort and fans who live here and go to the games for decades despite the losing and their desire that the games at least be on Saturday's at 7. We've earned some deference from Tulane.


If I lived in NOLA I would be in favor of 11AM games. This is all pointless, TV decides the games.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
wavedom wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
TV picks game times/dates. That's a fact of life if you follow college football at higher than the CUSA level. It's not a matter of anyone listening to anyone, other than TV telling you (after writing their rather large check to the conference) what you'll be doing.



And I noted that. However it's also true that your athletic department can let the league and the networks know what your preference is. That's all I've asked of Dannen on this issue. LSU has done it and they have since been accommodated for the most part. True story.

The SEC and LoSer-U sadly have just a smidge more pull than we do. You also obviously missed the very loud whining from Baton Rouge about more than one of their game times being set by TV this season.


They didn't have any complaints for the couple of years before that b/c their AD stepped up. Just think ours should do the same. We are in a smaller conference that gets a lot smaller check. Some of our games are on-line only . so it shouldn't take as much pull to get it done.


So would you rather Big 12 and 3 PM kickoffs or AAC and permanent 7PM kick offs?


I'd prefer SEC on Saturday's at 7 and so would our other season ticket holders.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:29 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Roller wrote:
There are thousands of different preferences about game time. There is no way to satisfy everyone. One person may have their kid's football game in the afternoon; another might have a recital in the evening; another might have to pick up their in-laws at the airport or attend a wedding. Whatever it is, there will be many people who are impacted, and it is ludicrous to insinuate that the schedule should (or even could) take every fan's schedule into account. The best you can hope for is that they'll work the schedule around other important events (like Saints games, for instance, which hardly ever fall on the same day anyhow).


Well no one suggested that. What is known is that most of us that go prefer Saturday nights at 7. So they should strive to accommodate that.


How is it known?


Well if you lived here for decades and went to all the games for decades and hung out with various factions of our fan base for decades you'd know that's what they want. More importantly the one AD who did a poll on it, Kevin White, found out that that's what the overwhelming majority of our fan base wanted. So let Dannen poll us season ticket buyers who go to the games and I guarantee the response will be the same.


Kevin White was the AD before I even attended Tulane. I don't go to every game in person obviously, but I make the games I can attend (I spent 8 hours in a car to drive to OU from DFW and back, and I plan to drive from Chicago to Columbus though I will spend the night). I think others can attest that I watch games on TV. Games at 11 AM are my preference for in person or TV, but then again I like kegs and eggs for a tailgate


No one is questioning your fanhood, There is however no comparison to you going to one game that requires some extra effort and fans who live here and go to the games for decades despite the losing and their desire that the games at least be on Saturday's at 7. We've earned some deference from Tulane.


If I lived in NOLA I would be in favor of 11AM games. This is all pointless, TV decides the games.


If it was pointless you wouldn't have jumped in. Schools can make their preferences known and it is in Tulane's best interest to do so.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:34 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm
Posts: 17973
Location: Chicago
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
windywave wrote:
wavedom wrote:
Roller wrote:
There are thousands of different preferences about game time. There is no way to satisfy everyone. One person may have their kid's football game in the afternoon; another might have a recital in the evening; another might have to pick up their in-laws at the airport or attend a wedding. Whatever it is, there will be many people who are impacted, and it is ludicrous to insinuate that the schedule should (or even could) take every fan's schedule into account. The best you can hope for is that they'll work the schedule around other important events (like Saints games, for instance, which hardly ever fall on the same day anyhow).


Well no one suggested that. What is known is that most of us that go prefer Saturday nights at 7. So they should strive to accommodate that.


How is it known?


Well if you lived here for decades and went to all the games for decades and hung out with various factions of our fan base for decades you'd know that's what they want. More importantly the one AD who did a poll on it, Kevin White, found out that that's what the overwhelming majority of our fan base wanted. So let Dannen poll us season ticket buyers who go to the games and I guarantee the response will be the same.


Kevin White was the AD before I even attended Tulane. I don't go to every game in person obviously, but I make the games I can attend (I spent 8 hours in a car to drive to OU from DFW and back, and I plan to drive from Chicago to Columbus though I will spend the night). I think others can attest that I watch games on TV. Games at 11 AM are my preference for in person or TV, but then again I like kegs and eggs for a tailgate


No one is questioning your fanhood, There is however no comparison to you going to one game that requires some extra effort and fans who live here and go to the games for decades despite the losing and their desire that the games at least be on Saturday's at 7. We've earned some deference from Tulane.


If I lived in NOLA I would be in favor of 11AM games. This is all pointless, TV decides the games.


If it was pointless you wouldn't have jumped in. Schools can make their preferences known and it is in Tulane's best interest to do so.


I jumped in because i can't stand people who think they are entitled to deference because they habe been long time fans. I have never heard a Big 10 or Domer bitch about the start time of a game


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:03 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:22 pm
Posts: 258
Their games are almost always at the same time. They also haven't lost for seven decades. Sorry your jealousy is getting the best of you.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:21 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2316
Pretty clearly no one would prefer to watch a game at 2:30 in September.

But to insist that everyone wants 7 pm kickoffs all season based off of a 25 year old poll when we played in a different stadium in a totally different football landscape doesn't make much sense. For that matter, polling the people that have tickets doesn't prove much if trying to increase attendance. Those people are already coming.

I haven't seen much difference in interest based on kickoff time. This year, when we were more interesting, I was able to find people to use any tickets I wasn't. The last couple years I couldn't. In 2013 I could. Go figure.

We can request 7pm, but I believe our conference only had one game scheduled at that time last season. So unless we are only on internet or are playing a game worth that slot, it's not happening.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group