Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

Just announced. The season opener at yulman versus Wake will be played on Thursday instead of Saturday. Almost certainly this will be a night game. I always like this move, not only because it gives us a better chance at a better crowd on Labor Day weekend, but because it gives us some flexibility in case of poor weather.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:02 pm 
Navigator Level

I (and my crew) are so there!!
WF will be a great challenge.
They will have taken down mighty SEC Texas A&M in the Belk bowl.
Buy your tix now!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:02 pm 
Regent's Circle

This will maximize student participation. Plus who knows, we might even see a few Glazer refugees venture out of the igloo and enjoy the fresh air?? (Just teasing my one percenter friends. I wouldn't sit in those seats in the sun either.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:20 pm 
Navigator Level

I don't like it and our attendance for these Thursday games haven't gotten any kind of bump out of this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

I would think the first home game, just a few days after classes start would be a real draw. Plus, being a Thursday it’s not interfering with the normal Saturday going out activities. I know I would have been there. Later in the season there’s plenty of time to get cynical and find other things to do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:01 pm 
Regent's Circle

Honestly, I wish we would play an away game Labor Day weekend. Between all of the activities in New Orleans, and people going away for one last summer fling, it kills the crowd.

If we have to play at home, Thursday night is probably the best bet. Better than Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:45 pm 
Emerald Circle

noladave wrote:
Honestly, I wish we would play an away game Labor Day weekend. Between all of the activities in New Orleans, and people going away for one last summer fling, it kills the crowd.

If we have to play at home, Thursday night is probably the best bet. Better than Saturday.

As we've discussed before, that was one of RD's reasons for Thursday games. The intent, besides Tulane employees wanting to go out of town, was to get people to attend before they head out.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:51 pm 
Junior

I hate playing on that first Thursday because the Saints usually play their last, meaningless, exhibition game on that same night and it's almost impossible to get any bar in New Orleans to put the Tulane game on even one of their TVs.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:03 pm 
Navigator Level

waverider wrote:
noladave wrote:

As we've discussed before, that was one of RD's reasons for Thursday games. The intent, besides Tulane employees wanting to go out of town, was to get people to attend before they head out.

RD being for it tells you all you need to know. We have gotten nothing out of this attendance wise other than ticking off the few season ticket holders we have that don't make it b/c of work.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:31 am 
Navigator Level

+1

Count me in among those who wish we played the labor day weekend game away. I dislike home midweek football games during any part of the season, but particularly for the opener. We get a truncated home gameday experience, plus it's impossible to coordinate tailgating, getting to campus during rush hour is a pain, the parking at Ursuline/St Rita don't work because they have their own people and staff who are working and need parking.

We play Nicholls at home and then not another home game until October.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 am 
Regent's Circle

Well I look forward to seeing lots of you at the tripleheader today at Fogelman. No students (except on the court) and no parking problems plus reasonably priced tickets. You can even pack your own lunch if you want and you prefer not to tailgate.

With luck, maybe we'll have home football games the weekends of Oct 13th (Fall Break) and Nov 24th (Thanksgiving) too. No troublesome students nor parking issues then either. Those games always have great vibes except when we have to go straight up against the Bayou Classic.

It's gets better. We play Oklahoma at home Labor Day weekend 2021. We have three-and-a-half years to prepare our Odes to Joy as that game day approaches.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:28 am 
Regent's Circle

SirLurxalot wrote:
I hate playing on that first Thursday because the Saints usually play their last, meaningless, exhibition game on that same night and it's almost impossible to get any bar in New Orleans to put the Tulane game on even one of their TVs.

I will simply note that Yulman has numerous outlets serving adult beverages with adjacent TVs showing the Tulane game if you prefer not to watch it in the stands.

I know Lurx is a big fan so I reasonably guess (hope?) that all the above should be in pink font.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:08 am 
Emerald Circle

I like Thursday openers, when we open with FCS teams.
Wake is a nice opponent...putting it opening game and on Thursday mutes its effect.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:21 pm 
Regent's Circle

Other benefits of Thursday openers: get extra rest/prep for the 2nd game, allows for summer camp to open earlier.
Other drawback: it's a school night which for me means either the kids won't come or we'll have to leave ~halftime.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

Well, it's the day before my birthday and also my office's last day of "summer hours" which means I'll be taking that Friday as vacation. So I'll be somewhere (even if it's my couch) watching it with a drink in my hand. Roll Wave.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

GSx wrote:
I like Thursday openers, when we open with FCS teams.
Wake is a nice opponent...putting it opening game and on Thursday mutes its effect.

This

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:29 pm 
Navigator Level

Hoping that I have my dad another few years so that he can make the OU game at Yulman with us. He was over the moon last year when we took him to Norman and held out hope for us to rally up through the 3rd quarter. Wore his OU shirt with a "Tulane Dad" sticker. https://www.instagram.com/p/BZHy4OugNwi/?taken-by=mrshullabaloo

OU will hopefully travel, but being that the biggest question we got in Norman was "where is Tulane?", it's shaky.

Regardless of when the game is, I doubt that Wake Forest has many traveling fans as they have worse attendance than we do. That was the most depressing college game and stadium I have been to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:33 pm 
President's Circle

I just hope the WF game is at night. The opener in 2014 against GT was just scorchingly hot and people were dropping like flies.

A small benefit to an opening Thursday game is that it lets the team get in 3 extra practice days to start the season.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:10 pm 
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
I just hope the WF game is at night. The opener in 2014 against GT was just scorchingly hot and people were dropping like flies.season.

Between FBS and FCS, there are usually 20-30 games a year on the opening thursday. Looking back over the last 5 years schedules on ESPN, there's been a total of ONE game that wasn't a night game out of all of those.

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:04 pm 
Junior

Baywave1 wrote:
SirLurxalot wrote:

I will simply note that Yulman has numerous outlets serving adult beverages with adjacent TVs showing the Tulane game if you prefer not to watch it in the stands.

I know Lurx is a big fan so I reasonably guess (hope?) that all the above should be in pink font.

OK, I'm an idiot. I should have saved that complaint for when we open the season on a Thursday on the road. I shall accept my lashings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:54 pm 
Breaker Level

noladave wrote:

We could offer a special for all the decadents in town
BOGO

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:25 pm 
Regent's Circle

I'm obviously in the minority here and was needlessly cranky in my replies. I'll do better.

However for at least the first half there will be 4000+ students at the game who will energize the stadium and we can build from there. It's scheduled at night and is a P6 match (Thanks Willie!) that Tulane can win. I'll be there and I welcome those who can manage the holiday conflicts to come.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:39 pm 
Navigator Level

Folks: If we are going to play in August...I want the Wave to play at night. Additionally, I want us to play on national network (ESPN or ESPN2) television. Until we are huge national television attraction getting a Thursday night game is a good get for us. We should have a good crowd against a P6 opponent.

OliveGreenandBlue! We love thee!

1970 -Year of the Green
1979 -Experience Wave Craze
1998 -Perfect Wave
2013 -Bowl Wave
2014 -Let's Make Waves
2016 -New Beginning

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:08 pm 
Junior

I'm sorry y'all, but if I go along with the "P6" thing then I have to refer to that school in Lafayette as the University of Louisana and I refuse to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:27 pm 
Regent's Circle

SirLurxalot wrote:
I'm sorry y'all, but if I go along with the "P6" thing then I have to refer to that school in Lafayette as the University of Louisana and I refuse to do that.

Disagree but that is funny. Try it another way. If ESPN can refer to ULL as "Louisiana" then we can refer to "P6" with a straight face don't you think? Meanwhile you can call USL whatever you want. I do.