MBB 85-75 over Temple

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: MBB 85-75 over Temple

Post by wavedom »

Player development is leading to team development. That was fun to watch. Really good defense from beginning to end. Kept the turnovers down and hit our free throws. You have to like what your seeing out of Daniels. Nice to see Paul playing well. Stay healthy and consistent and this will be fun.
We deserve so much better
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Just a super win. Beating Temple on the road is not an easy task. So proud of the team and something us fans needed in the worst way. On to Tulsa after celebrating tonight.
RI WAVE
Navigator Level

Post by RI WAVE »

Got to watch the game start to finish. It was great to see real defense being played and the fact that they have practiced free throws. They are honing their skill but building upon the basics first. MD talks about changing someone's shot to make it more effective and the kids seem to like to practice (no one makes all their free throws without practice). The trip early in the season was huge - allowed them to build cohesion with a lot of new moving parts.

This TEAM is fun to watch. We may not match up like we did at Temple in the future but they will battle and that is all we can ask for. I hope MD gets his wish, that folks are waiting on line to buy tickets by the end of the season!
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Did not see the game, so I am asking for knowledge: what defense did Temple run? Were they M-T-M or 2-3 zone or other? Just curious.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote:Did not see the game, so I am asking for knowledge: what defense did Temple run? Were they M-T-M or 2-3 zone or other? Just curious.
Man most of the. Picked up full court a couple of times until we smoked them. Played a 23 matchup one or two possessions
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

windywave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:Did not see the game, so I am asking for knowledge: what defense did Temple run? Were they M-T-M or 2-3 zone or other? Just curious.
Man most of the. Picked up full court a couple of times until we smoked them. Played a 23 matchup one or two possessions
Thank you. When we can beat a team playing a 2-3 matchup zone WITHOUT having to be "hot" with 3's, THEN we will have arrived. Until then, count me as cautious.

This team is very good against a M-T-M defense.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Rotorooter wrote:
windywave wrote:
Thank you. When we can beat a team playing a 2-3 matchup zone WITHOUT having to be "hot" with 3's, THEN we will have arrived. Until then, count me as cautious.

We beat the zone which is why they went back to man. Our zone offense lookes improved albeit in a small sample set compared to earlier. Hell all our offense just looks better
#cousins don't count
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Only thing that worried me about last night was the plus minus for when ona embo was on the floor vs. When he wasn't.

If we could get the sehic we saw for the first 5 games combined with the Paul of the last 5, we could be pretty unstoppable.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Great win!
Limited mistakes down the stretch, didn't miss a free throw, kept running, in shape - just a solid performance and on ESPN2 no less.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

sr wrote:Limited mistakes down the stretch, didn't miss a free throw, kept running, in shape - just a solid performance and on ESPN2 no less.
I think John Thompson III is going to adopt Ona Embo.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:
Rotorooter wrote:
windywave wrote:

We beat the zone which is why they went back to man. Our zone offense lookes improved albeit in a small sample set compared to earlier. Hell all our offense just looks better
Actually we didn't necessarily "beat" it, I think one time we threw it in to Sehic and they fouled him, another time something else happened (maybe a coach called a time out or something?), I remember thinking that if Temple played zone we could be screwed, and being surprised they gave up on it so fast without really seeing whether it worked against us. Regardless, I felt like Temple just wasn't a team that was going to play zone defense against us, and that might have been fortunate. Many teams pride themselves on being able to cover MTM and that ego works in our favor; when they decide they can't cover us MTM and switch to zone, we seem to struggle. It will be interesting to see how many AAC teams play zone defense against us.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I'm ok with opponents playing zone against Tulane. Wave are a good passing scheme team and generally a good shooting team. When shooting is off, the zone opens up better offensive rebounding opportunities because missed longer shots mean longer rebounds and in a zone it's harder to screen off effectively every offensive player from the boards.

Regardless I'm sure we will see more zone against Tulane in coming games.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

I didn't appreciate the ESPN2 commentators cheerleading for Temple. But in a way that makes the win that much sweeter.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Wavefan wrote:I didn't appreciate the ESPN2 commentators cheerleading for Temple. But in a way that makes the win that much sweeter.
Huh? I didn't get that at all from the game.
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Wavefan wrote:I didn't appreciate the ESPN2 commentators cheerleading for Temple. But in a way that makes the win that much sweeter.
Boy, I certainly didn’t see that. Thompson talked up that Temple freshman who hit a couple of long threes but for the most part he gushed over Ona Embo and then Daniels. Frazier got a “quiet” 25 and got his kudos toward the end. He also kept talking about how far the team had progressed under Dunleavy. A couple of film clips of MD Sr. from his NBA playing and coaching days plus showing MD Jr. in the stands—the only time they showed Dunphy is all disheveled during timeouts. If anything I think we got a lot of love.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Quality road win over a good team. Made plays when it mattered, and that Daniels recovery to make the block near the end is one of the best plays I've seen a Tulane player make in a long, long time.

This win is tangible proof of progress. Let's continue it by giving Tulsa a beatdown this weekend.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

SMU and Houston home games early in the conference season may be key to how well Tulane does for rest of the year; Tulsa first though.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I haven't watched a men's college basketball game other than Tulane in a couple of years now (and not too many of those). Is Temple any good? I remember when they used to be QUITE good.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

GretnaGrn wrote:that Daniels recovery to make the block near the end is one of the best plays I've seen a Tulane player make in a long, long time.
Embarrassed to report this goofy move: Had a family dinner last night so DVR'd the game. Forgot to add the extra 30 minutes. So the recording stops w about a minute left. Missed the Daniels block and the two Frazier dunks. Would love to see these highlights! Maybe they will replay the game.

But overall, I thought they looked poised and confident. Almost a swagger? Great passing and everyone has the green light to shoot - including Paul! They look like they are having fun.
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

1401973 wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:that Daniels recovery to make the block near the end is one of the best plays I've seen a Tulane player make in a long, long time.
Embarrassed to report this goofy move: Had a family dinner last night so DVR'd the game. Forgot to add the extra 30 minutes. So the recording stops w about a minute left. Missed the Daniels block and the two Frazier dunks. Would love to see these highlights! Maybe they will replay the game.

But overall, I thought they looked poised and confident. Almost a swagger? Great passing and everyone has the green light to shoot - including Paul! They look like they are having fun.
try espn3/watchespn app. that may have it archived.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

see if this link works on espn3:
http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3226846
sprout1550
Coach Level

Post by sprout1550 »

It is on there....I already watched the end myself this morning.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

thanks! Just watched it. The Daniels block was indeed awesome.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Merry New Year!

Victory is never permanent
exprof
Crest Level

Post by exprof »

The best thing about the Daniel's block was he did not hang his head (as we have seen in the past) after the bad pass. Instead he jumped back on the floor and erased his mistake. That is what good players do. Quite refreshing to see it from a TU player.