MBB vs Tulsa

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

MBB vs Tulsa

Unread post by NJwave »

Another big game today as they all will be the rest of the way. It’s cliche, but on any day we can beat or be beaten by anybody in this league. The league is good but not great. Wichita State and Cincy are tournament teams and Houston and SMU should be as well. After that I figure maybe 2-3 NIT bids. UCF has not played great, the Memphis and UCONN programs have really regressed and Temple is 0-2 in the league already. We don’t play the top 2 teams twice with the unbalanced schedule. In other words, a top 6 league finish and a shot at the NIT is realistic if we play well. It means taking care of business at home and stealing a few on the road.

If you are in the New Orleans area, I beg you to go to the game today. It’s time we had a real home court advantage again.
Tito
Navigator Level

Re: MBB vs Tulsa

Unread post by Tito »

[quote="NJwave]If you are in the New Orleans area, I beg you to go to the game today. It’s time we had a real home court advantage again.[/quote]
Absolutely. This is a team to be proud of.
At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

yes. houston's crowd looked pretty bad on tv last night (not that anyone was watching versus the Penn State game).

seems like a great way to kick off NYE
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Everyone draws bad over holidays. Temple attendance counted arms, legs and eyes. Don’t forget women are on espnu against USF this morning.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Will be there thanks to the time change. Nice move.
We deserve so much better
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

We played like doody

Couldn't defeat the zone

Cold from the floor

Got out-rebounded
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Looks like we ate too many Philly cheesesteaks.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

For the 4th time this year we didn’t show up. We aren’t good enough to do that. No rebounding effort at all and no effort to get to the rim.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Unread post by austxwave »

windywave wrote:We played like doody

Couldn't defeat the zone

Cold from the floor

Got out-rebounded
B-I-N-G-O! We are a streaky shooting team and don't rebound the ball well. While we can generate offense from a half-court set, we thrive in transition. We have a lot of basketball to play, but we are an NIT team at best.
sr
Regent's Circle

Unread post by sr »

Down the stretch they would score 5 and we countered with 3. It must have happened three times.
windywave
Emerald Circle

austxwave wrote: We have a lot of basketball to play, but we are an NIT team at best.
You act like that is a bad thing
#cousins don't count
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Couldn't defeat the zone

Cold from the floor

Got out-rebounded
snowflake, we will have better days.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

Well, the Eagles mailed it in to the Cowboys and the Wave looked like they read too many press clippings. A dog doo snow cone on the last day on 2017.

On to 2018.
windywave
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:

Couldn't defeat the zone

Cold from the floor

Got out-rebounded
Nice of you to join in, back from Stark Vegas? Andy's balls all clean? If you had read the game thread you would know I am not disheartened. I know reading is hard for you. Isn't it time for you to have a sexual scrimmage aka go frick yourself?
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

If any team plays man to man defense against us the rest of the year, their coach is an idiot. We are clueless against a zone. Even the announcers, who seemed to know nothing about our team except what was on the pregame fact sheet, pointed out how lost we were against the zone.

Basically against the zone we're relegated to the days of Ed Conroy, where we only win if someone (or two) is absolutely on fire.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

We need to win with defense and transition baskets. We don’t handle a zone well and can’t score on the inside.

We are very athletic and should be using that to get easy baskets.

We will some great wins and some head scratchers as well. It’s all part of improving.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Unread post by TUPF »

PeteRasche wrote:If any team plays man to man defense against us the rest of the year, their coach is an idiot. We are clueless against a zone. Even the announcers, who seemed to know nothing about our team except what was on the pregame fact sheet, pointed out how lost we were against the zone.

Basically against the zone we're relegated to the days of Ed Conroy, where we only win if someone (or two) is absolutely on fire.
Thanks, Pete, for elevating the analysis. We looked like we were playing in combat boots. The only positive I saw was that Ajang looked pretty sharp for the couple of minutes he was in.
windywave
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:If any team plays man to man defense against us the rest of the year, their coach is an idiot. We are clueless against a zone. Even the announcers, who seemed to know nothing about our team except what was on the pregame fact sheet, pointed out how lost we were against the zone.

Is it scheme or execution? I'm leaning towards execution because there were times when we got good looks off skip passes and backdoors. I've always seen zones attacked with a high low post set which I really didn't see today.
#cousins don't count
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

windywave wrote:

Is it scheme or execution? I'm leaning towards execution because there were times when we got good looks off skip passes and backdoors. I've always seen zones attacked with a high low post set which I really didn't see today.
I think both. We seemed to just toss it around the perimeter rather than penetrating at all and never got the ball to the high or low post.

I would have liked to see more of Sehic and Paul together to help with rebounding.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Couldn't defeat the zone

Cold from the floor

Got out-rebounded
Nice of you to join in, back from Stark Vegas? Andy's balls all clean? If you had read the game thread you would know I am not disheartened. I know reading is hard for you. Isn't it time for you to have a sexual scrimmage aka go frick yourself?
snowflake with his usual rehashed rant over and over and over. surprise, surprise. settle down little snowflake and get some help for these pent up desires. perhaps 2018 will be your year for a breakthrough. we can only hope!
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

windywave wrote:

I lean toward scheme. No back picks to get open looks inside, no diagonal cutting through the lane to pierce the zone, no baseline cuts. Only interior movement is by the 5--not a position of our strength offensively. I'm telling you, Dunleavy's NBA experience here is a disadvantage in that the NBA rarely uses a zone, so no coach schemes for it. The reason that the NBA rarely uses a zone is because the outside shooting is so good in the NBA, a zone just gets torched, so everyone goes to M-T-M. Dunleavy has shown he excels at shredding a M-T-M. But he is clueless in scheming against a zone. Pete is totally correct--an opposing coach has to be a complete idiot to play anything other than a zone--at least until we show we can beat it.

Thank God we don't play Syracuse--they'd win by 50.
Plan your work, work your plan.
windywave
Emerald Circle

tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Couldn't defeat the zone

Cold from the floor

Got out-rebounded
snowflake with his usual rehashed rant over and over and over. surprise, surprise. settle down little snowflake and get some help for these pent up desires. perhaps 2018 will be your year for a breakthrough. we can only hope!
We can only hope you get into therapy.
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Rotorooter wrote:The reason that the NBA rarely uses a zone is because the outside shooting is so good in the NBA, a zone just gets torched, so everyone goes to M-T-M.
That and the fact that for the first several decades, zone was illegal in the NBA... :mrgreen:
austxwave
Navigator Level

Unread post by austxwave »

NJwave wrote:
windywave wrote:

I think both. We seemed to just toss it around the perimeter rather than penetrating at all and never got the ball to the high or low post.

I would have liked to see more of Sehic and Paul together to help with rebounding.
We do have several players who can slash the lane but I agree with your overall assessment.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
windywave wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Couldn't defeat the zone

Cold from the floor

Got out-rebounded
We can only hope you get into therapy.
snowflake (aka mr. dictionary), that is weak. keep something in the tank for midnight. and this fettish you have with Andy's nad's must stop!