Tulane Baseball roster now stands at 37 players

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
PCWave
Crest Level

Re: Tulane Baseball roster now stands at 37 players

Post by PCWave »

I don't know if you went to Tulane, but the excess use of prolly indicates maybe not. Just kidding :-) :-) :-)
Harahan Wave
RollWaveRoll
Crest Level

Post by RollWaveRoll »

PCWave wrote:I don't know if you went to Tulane, but the excess use of prolly indicates maybe not. Just kidding :-) :-) :-)
Ha..Great one! Wave Is deep in my blood, let's just say I'm a math guy.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

RollWaveRoll wrote:
PCWave wrote:I don't know if you went to Tulane, but the excess use of prolly indicates maybe not. Just kidding :-) :-) :-)
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

windywave wrote:
RollWaveRoll wrote:
Or, to put it another way,
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

perfect game has us finishing in last place
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

We will start the season with 34 players, and while I don’t see a national championship, I really don’t see us finishing last. Of course, how healthy we stay, will play a major roll.

Our infield should be solid. We have 2 good catchers, with a 3rd one starting to look really good.

Outfield starts with Witherspoon, potential all american. Ty, Kobi, and a host of others will compete for the other OF spots and DH.

Pitching - Gillies looked good in the fall, Johnson looked good, Massey is pitching again. Soleskly was able to pitch, so hopefully he can stay healthy. Roper looks really good so far, and you have Pellerin, Bates, McAffer, Green, and others.

I honestly believe we have solid pitching, solid defense on the left and center infield. Jensen or Mathews will have to prove themselves at 1st. Outfield can field, they need to hit.

Lace em up and see what happens. Just a couple of weeks away!!!
Wavefam985
Trainer

Post by Wavefam985 »

I totally agree - we won't finish last. The first three weeks of the season will be telling with Wright State (returning 7 of 8 position players), Ole Miss (top 10), Cal St. Fullerton (top 20) and a very good Lamar team. If we are .500 at that point I will be happy.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

A couple of guys got picked up by college leagues, and my guess, is that additional players will be heading to summer leagues.

Bates headed to the NECBL, and Pelegrín headed to the West Coast League.
Gozzo previously announced headed to the Cape.

I’m going to try to find out at Baseball Media Day today if any others have singed.
TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

There is no possible way to handicap our team going into this season. Too many new players.
This one belongs to the Wave.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

TU23 wrote:There is no possible way to handicap our team going into this season. Too many new players.
I would agree with that. But I also seem to remember that you said in the off-season that this team would be good.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

I went to Baseball media day, and the difference between this year and last year is night and day. This team is much more relaxed, more of a “team”.

With that said, Jewett only named 2 starters - Witherpoon and Gozzo. He named some other guys - the 2 catchers specifically and how they can be used, with TY being able to play in the OF, and not losing the DH, if a catcher has to be replaced mid game.

There was a funny question about would the 3 JC transfer pitchers pitch opening weekend, and Jewett responded with a quick “yes”. The follow up question will they start - a big pause and then a coach speak answer.

This should really be a fun year - the coaches seem to be working well together, the team seems to be a cohesive unit, and it will really come down to can they pitch, defend, and get timely hitting. Cliche, but that’s what it really comes down to.

If I had to dwell on question marks. - (all my opinion - none of these comments are from media day)

1B - you’ve had Jensen, Mathews, and Slatten playing there. My guess is Jensen has the edge, but Mathews is a lefty and may be used when a lefty is needed.

OF/DH - you have Witherspoon and Johnson there (when not catching). Kobi Owen has been hitting the ball, and I’d love to see that in game situations. A lot of other options in the OF

2B - most likely Artigues has it for now, but Bedgood has been playing solid, and is definitely hitting the ball. Could be an interesting situation.

Pitching - not commenting until I see these guys pitch in a real game. Several guys pitch over 90, but you got to throw strikes for them to count (or at least get the batter to swing at it).
double d
Coach Level

Post by double d »

Serious question, where will any consistent power come from? Lots of singles hitters but you need a few guys with power to be really good.
Tulane49
Navigator Level

Post by Tulane49 »

double d wrote:Serious question, where will any consistent power come from? Lots of singles hitters but you need a few guys with power to be really good.
Only “power” hitters are Spoon, Hoese, Jensen, Ty Johnson and Acy Owens
Not HR hitters but can drive the ball to the gaps. Plenty of doubles
We will be a small ball team relying on pitching, which we have plenty.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

Kobi Owen and David Bedgood have shown some power at times. It will be interesting to see if it shows up consistently.

If he can get in a groove early in the season, I think Rowland could provide some power in DH spot.

2 weeks, we will see...