Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:35 pm 
Emerald Circle

McMurphy just tweeted, mockingly: "belated congratulations to Tulane's 1998 national champions"

Troy Dannen immediately quoted the tweet with "Thanks, Brett. #RollNationalChampionWave"

And someone (NOT me) has updated our wikipedia entry to reflect a national championship in 1998.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Tula ... tball_team

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:54 pm 
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote:
...And someone (NOT me) has updated our wikipedia entry to reflect a national championship in 1998.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Tula ... tball_team
And now, it appears that some deluded individual has maliciously removed that reference.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:39 pm 
Emerald Circle

Its still up Roller

“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:38 pm 
Emerald Circle

Um... Y'all know that ANYONE can write anything they want on Wikipedia at any time, right?

P.S. Who is Brett McMurphy?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:41 pm 
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote:
Its still up Roller

Your cache must not be updating because it's currently worded with a strong "Tulane didn't deserve a chance" bent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 pm 
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote:
WaveProf wrote:
Its still up Roller

Your cache must not be updating because it's currently worded with a strong "Tulane didn't deserve a chance" bent.
Exactly. It's a short article and I have re-read it at least 20 times. There is no reflection of a national championship for Tulane. It was edited by some "Power
Five" sycophant, to erase the bottom line.

As has been oft-stated, however, the championship is a mythical one, determine by subjective measures and biased toward the bigger schools. Therefore, the pundits can claim the fiction that Alabama and Georgia had "tougher" schedules than UCF, and completely ignore that UCF beat the team that beat both of them, and that NOBODY, weak or tough, demonstrated that they had the ability to beat UCF.

On edit: I went through all of the changes to the article, back to August, 2017, and in none of the 6 or so prior versions what there any allusion to Tulane's legitimate claim to the championship. At least that far back, the article clearly has been saying that Tulane was not worthy of consideration.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 pm 
Navigator Level

Someone did insert National Champion on top of the box on the right side. However someone needs to completely rewrite the text. That team deserves better.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:32 pm 
Emerald Circle

I’m guessing by now most of you have seen this. The story isn’t real but apparently the number of preorders for the shirt (which is real) far exceeded expectations.

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

A friend and I actually had shirts not unlike that printed after the season. We took orders from the group of 54 folks that sat with us at the bowl game, as well as friends and significant others. I think the final order was just shy of 100 shirts.

I had completely forgotten about them until I saw that (above) posted on Facebook this morning...

I think my wife still might have hers. Mine was too small from the moment it arrived and I think I gave it away without ever getting to wear it. I'll ask her if she has hers and try to post photos. It played on the "Unheralded, unloved.... UNDEFEATED" theme. Had the schedule and results on the back similar to the front of the drawing above.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:39 am 
Navigator Level

Wikipedia also failed to list a number of our players on that team who went to the NFL. They only listed Shaun King and Dennis O'Sullivan. Didn't P.J. Franklin, JaJuan Dawson, and others go on to the NFL?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:52 am 
Emerald Circle

BTW, the Campus Connection shirt story went national... a friend texted me the story from the NBC Sports website yesterday (as though I didn't already know about it... :lol: :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:07 am 
Emerald Circle

I still don't know who Brett McMurphy is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:25 am 
Emerald Circle

I think it’s someone that was fired/laid off by ESPN.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:39 am 
President's Circle

Luvs da Wave wrote:
Wikipedia also failed to list a number of our players on that team who went to the NFL. They only listed Shaun King and Dennis O'Sullivan. Didn't P.J. Franklin, JaJuan Dawson, and others go on to the NFL?

I'm not mistaken, Bernard Robertson, too. Ramsey was on the team but obviously didn't play. Dawson went to the NFL for sure, not Franklin--too small. Our defensive players were too small for the era, but they could run and hit you, which might work today. Underrated.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 am 
Emerald Circle

Franklin had a cup of coffee with the Saints.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:41 am 
Emerald Circle

GreenieBacker wrote:
I think it’s someone that was fired/laid off by ESPN.

That narrows it down! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:59 pm 
Emerald Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
BTW, the Campus Connection shirt story went national... a friend texted me the story from the NBC Sports website yesterday (as though I didn't already know about it... :lol: :lol: )

He tweeted that the website traffic was blowing up after the article. Joking that “100 people were on at one time, 99 more than usual”!

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:40 pm 
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

He tweeted that the website traffic was blowing up after the article. Joking that “100 people were on at one time, 99 more than usual”!

As a friend texted last night (another who was copied on the national story text chain), "it's a great idea, too bad the shirt is so horribly ugly".
(and I have to agree :angel: )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:08 pm 
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

As a friend texted last night (another who was copied on the national story text chain), "it's a great idea, too bad the shirt is so horribly ugly".

It is an ugly shirt.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:04 pm 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

It is an ugly shirt.

I agree. I ordered one anyway, for the novelty of it, but I am hoping the actual green is darker.

A childhood friend of mine who is a lifelong LSU fan texted me to say he’s hoping to get one in time to wear to Disney in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:20 pm 
Emerald Circle

visualmagic wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

It is an ugly shirt.

I did find this blurb in one of the stories about the shirt. So I guess we should cut them a little slack...
Quote:
They patterned the shirt after a 1995 Nebraska championship shirt design found online, all to better make the Tulane shirt look like it actually was created in the 1990s, complete with oversized lettering across the front and a full schedule with scores listed down the back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:54 am 
Regent's Circle

PeteRasche wrote:
A friend and I actually had shirts not unlike that printed after the season. We took orders from the group of 54 folks that sat with us at the bowl game, as well as friends and significant others. I think the final order was just shy of 100 shirts.

I had completely forgotten about them until I saw that (above) posted on Facebook this morning...

I think my wife still might have hers. Mine was too small from the moment it arrived and I think I gave it away without ever getting to wear it. I'll ask her if she has hers and try to post photos. It played on the "Unheralded, unloved.... UNDEFEATED" theme. Had the schedule and results on the back similar to the front of the drawing above.

I was totally unaware that I had a "group of folks". :roll: :lol:

Fan since '54

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:39 am 
Coach Level

PeteRasche wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
waverider wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:

It is an ugly shirt.

I did find this blurb in one of the stories about the shirt. So I guess we should cut them a little slack...
Quote:
They patterned the shirt after a 1995 Nebraska championship shirt design found online, all to better make the Tulane shirt look like it actually was created in the 1990s, complete with oversized lettering across the front and a full schedule with scores listed down the back.

Shouldn't the helmet be green?