Tulane mentions during National Championship game

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Tulane mentions during National Championship game

Unread post by waverider »

The first was during the coin toss when the HOF nominee coaches were announced which included "representing...Tulane..." among the other 3 schools Mack Brown coached.

The other was in this graphic that was also tossed around Twitter.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Re: Tulane mentions during National Championship game

Unread post by Charlie Dunn »

So strong! Roll Wave. We had a great defense that year. I think I was at that Bama game.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Unread post by CT Wave »

Didn't Special Teams kill us in that game?
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Charlie Dunn wrote:So strong! Roll Wave. We had a great defense that year. I think I was at that Bama game.
No we didn't. We gave up 34.5 ppg that year, including that Army debacle at Gormley.
Victory is never permanent
MattK
President's Circle

Unread post by MattK »

CT Wave wrote:Didn't Special Teams kill us in that game?
according to the box score, despite only giving up 95 yards in the first half, we trailed 13-3 at halftime on a punt return TD and a punt block TD.

so, yes.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Unread post by OGSB »

Due to the rest of that season (2-10), that may be the very last time I took a 'moral victory'.
Victory is never permanent
Cheerleader
Coach Level

Unread post by Cheerleader »

I was at that game and remember it well. We dominated them most of the game except for the special teams. They had a kick returner who killed us and we got at least one punt blocked for a TD. Alabama fans at the game remarked to me that they were lucky to have won that day.

It was an incredible sight to see 100,000 fans all dressed in red and yelling at the top of their lungs. I took my new son-in-law, who graduated from Georgetown, to see his first SEC game. He was blown away by the sights and sounds.
sprout1550
Coach Level

Unread post by sprout1550 »

They also gave us a standing ovation at the end of that game. I also remember Jordan Ellis' hit on their returner. He leveled him on one kick off or punt return and the guy left and never came back in. Yes, a moral victory, but it was a great game by Tulane against a far superior team.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

please.. Saban called off the dogs before we walked on the field.. the team had been in Birmingham as refugees from a hurricane and Saban took it easy on us... only 3 years removed from Katrina, that garnered a lot of sympathy.

The record for that season shows you how awful we were in reality.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GreenieBacker »

all true and then Banquet Bob Toledo proceeded later that year to get into a p!ssing match with our DC and we imploded
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
sprout1550
Coach Level

Unread post by sprout1550 »

You know, as crappy as this team has been, I remember some stunners, like the LSU game in the Dome. We had them (leading at halftime) and let it slip through our grasp. They were top 10 and I know they didn't take it easy on us. The next week, we went to Army and lost again. 2007.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:please.. Saban called off the dogs before we walked on the field.. the team had been in Birmingham as refugees from a hurricane and Saban took it easy on us... only 3 years removed from Katrina, that garnered a lot of sympathy.

Yes, notorious nice guy Saban took it easy on us. In reality, Bama wasn't Bama yet (they lost to ULM that year) and being the opener we hadn't quit on the season yet.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Unread post by AO Sig »

ml wave wrote:
Johnny Mac wrote:please.. Saban called off the dogs before we walked on the field.. the team had been in Birmingham as refugees from a hurricane and Saban took it easy on us... only 3 years removed from Katrina, that garnered a lot of sympathy.

Yes, notorious nice guy Saban took it easy on us. In reality, Bama wasn't Bama yet (they lost to ULM that year) and being the opener we hadn't quit on the season yet.
My daughter and I had parked at the mall on McFarland and taken a shuttle to the stadium (and the pre-game party for Tulane- met the tieless one). Coming back we were the only two in green on a bus filled with shell-shocked crimson-clad fans. More than one acknowledged that their team had been outplayed, and that they were lucky to eke out a win. We had left after the fourth down play late in the 4th quarter; when the bus driver announced that the game had ended and the final score, one older female gave out a weak and anemic "roll tide;" no other sounds were made.

That was a game that could have been a turnaround game, since we played a top ranked team so closely; too bad it didn't ...
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

ml wave wrote: being the opener we hadn't quit on the season yet.
Yes, this is the key.
Toledo teams typically packed it in after 4 or 5 games.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Yes, because Saban has a history of calling off the dogs :roll:

The record actually proves the opposite fwiw. Look at our first four games, we outplayed Bama on every side of the ball other than special teams (typical Toledo), lost on the last drive to a top 25 ECU that had upset a top 15 team, and then won two games we were supposed to win. Then we had a homecoming debacle, Toledo started a war with the DC that spread over the entire team, injuries depleted us (and we didn't have depth), and the team quit.

That team had more potential than any other in the Toledo/CCJ era.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

ml wave wrote:

They didn’t lose to ULM that year. They went 12-2, lost to Tebow’s Florida team in the SEC Championship and lost to Utah in the Sugar Bowl.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Unread post by Wavefan »

I was there. On the Alabama punt return for TD that really "turned the tide" (pun intended) there was a blatant block in the back on our gunner right at the point where the punt was caught. Should have been no TD and back them up ten. But those don't get called on Bama at home against a non-conference opponent. And wow, Jordan Ellis later absolutely demolished the much heralded return man for Bama (can't recall his name but his number was 2). Just a vicious but clean play. Also I think we completely shut down Julio Jones. The officiating hurt us, but more than anything Tulane mistakes cost us that game. Bama was three and out on just about every series.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

visualmagic wrote:
ml wave wrote:

They didn’t lose to ULM that year. They went 12-2, lost to Tebow’s Florida team in the SEC Championship and lost to Utah in the Sugar Bowl.
Eh, that's what I get for going off memory.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
ml wave wrote:

*cough* Darelle Revis *cough**cough*

There you go thinking, again

(come on dude, had to pile on with that one)
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:
visualmagic wrote:
ml wave wrote:

*cough* Darelle Revis *cough**cough*

There you go thinking, again

(come on dude, had to pile on with that one)
Lol, point still remains.
Chiz82
Coach Level

Unread post by Chiz82 »

Pretty sure the Punt Returner for Bama was Javier Arenas. And I think Mark Ingram may have scored the only Off TD.
I had just got back from being evacuated for Hurricane Gustav, ordered Chinese food, and ordered the game, as it was on PPV. :-D
he missed it