Ye Olde Green Wave Forum

The DEFINITIVE Tulane discussion forum
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: McClain gone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:18 am
Posts: 18163
Location: Beautiful Dutchtown
" 1m1 minute ago
More
I have officially transferred from Tulane . I am back open for recruitment"

(this is Khalil McClain)

They need to get Scott (or call back Cuiellette)

_________________
A refreshing culture of standards, expectations and accountability is upon us.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:46 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 266
Location: River Ridge
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:33 pm
Posts: 3624
Location: Marietta, GA
Wow. I wonder what precipitated this move? Kind of puts us in a bind, yes? Three QBs on the roster? One is a freshman.

_________________
Plan your work, work your plan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am
Posts: 6001
I'll take it at face value. He must think Scott is coming.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 266
Location: River Ridge
Baywave1 wrote:
I'll take it at face value. He must think Scott is coming.

Unfortunately I'm less optimistic than him.

There could be any number of reasons for this that don't include our QB depth. I wish him well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:09 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 266
Location: River Ridge
Saintgreenie wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
I'll take it at face value. He must think Scott is coming.

Unfortunately I'm less optimistic than him.

There could be any number of reasons for this that don't include our QB depth. I wish him well.


To clarify, I do still think we have a shot at Scott, but I'm certainly not confident enough to make a huge life decision based on him coming here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:50 pm 
Offline
Navigator Level
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:52 am
Posts: 512
Saintgreenie wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:
I'll take it at face value. He must think Scott is coming.

Unfortunately I'm less optimistic than him.

There could be any number of reasons for this that don't include our QB depth. I wish him well.


To clarify, I do still think we have a shot at Scott, but I'm certainly not confident enough to make a huge life decision based on him coming here.

Mizzo QB is returning


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 am 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:17 pm
Posts: 266
Location: River Ridge
That's definitely a plus in our favor. I guess we'll know for sure his decision on us soon (officially has until the 19th to enroll I believe).

FWIW, we also offered QB Riley Smith out of FL yesterday (don't know a ton about him other than a ton of non-P5 offers; highlights remind me a lot of Banks based on eye test).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:40 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10035
Baywave1 wrote:
I'll take it at face value. He must think Scott is coming.

There's been rumors of this for a while over on Rivals. I can't imagine it has anything to do with Scott...you couldn't ask for a more wide open depth chart.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20760
Location: Cincinnati, OH
If you go back and listen to FTW's interview with Graf from before our opening game this past season, it sounded like WF was very high on McClain, that he'd be next in line after Banks, and that he was only third string this year due to lack of experience. "Heir apparent", if you will. While it's possible that his position with WF declined over the course of the year (perhaps he showed he has some limitations not seen in preseason), the timing of this announcement strikes me as him knowing something that we don't, perhaps about Scott's plans. Personally, I'm not expecting us to get Scott, but why else would McClain's announcement happen now and not several weeks ago? Another angle: did first semester grades just come back?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 am 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:53 am
Posts: 20207
Location: New Orleans
I had high hopes for McClain, have to wonder what happened.

_________________
After a while, the residents of the sea do not hear the sound of the waves.
How bitter it is, the story of routine- Arabic (Anon)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2477
Does Ledford go back to QB if we don't pick up another one now?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:25 pm 
Offline
President's Circle

Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:07 am
Posts: 2905
I think the pecking order would be Banks, Daniels, Ledford, and Hurst until we add a signature or two. QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:28 pm 
Offline
President's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 23, 2005 8:43 pm
Posts: 2643
Location: Baton Rouge
tjtlja wrote:
I think the pecking order would be Banks, Daniels, Ledford, and Hurst until we add a signature or two. QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.


I am not for the without limitations. I would argue that perhaps they should get an extra transfer red-shirt year on top of red-shirt year.

_________________
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:29 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24860
Location: New Orleans
There is also Miles Lapeyere as a walk-on.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:41 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10035
Rotorooter wrote:
Wow. I wonder what precipitated this move? Kind of puts us in a bind, yes? Three QBs on the roster? One is a freshman.

Banks and Daniels (incoming FR)...who else on scholarship?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:49 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:34 am
Posts: 24860
Location: New Orleans
Ledford is on scholarship, he is called a QB on the roster. He is almost certainly going to line up there.

_________________
You want experience running the entire show? You got it. You want someone young and energetic? You got it. You wanted someone with absolutely no ties to Cowen/Dickson? You got it. - TU23


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10035
long green wrote:
Ledford is on scholarship, he is called a QB on the roster. He is almost certainly going to line up there.

This is all pretty insane, especially if we don't land Scott or the equivalent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:20 pm 
Offline
Coach Level
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:30 pm
Posts: 2477
tjtlja wrote:
QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.


It seems that the majority of this is that 300 kids think they should have 130 starting QB spots. and most of those 300 think they're going to the NFL. So, once they're not the starter at the school they originally chose, they try to find another school where they will be the starter. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of planning for the future when you're not one of the 12 or so guys drafted by the NFL.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:24 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10035
MattK wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.


It seems that the majority of this is that 300 kids think they should have 130 starting QB spots. and most of those 300 think they're going to the NFL. So, once they're not the starter at the school they originally chose, they try to find another school where they will be the starter. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of planning for the future when you're not one of the 12 or so guys drafted by the NFL.

Hard to unilaterally blame the kids, especially without knowing what they're told when being recruited.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 pm 
Offline
Regent's Circle
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Posts: 7175
Location: Charlotte
ml wave wrote:
MattK wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.


It seems that the majority of this is that 300 kids think they should have 130 starting QB spots. and most of those 300 think they're going to the NFL. So, once they're not the starter at the school they originally chose, they try to find another school where they will be the starter. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of planning for the future when you're not one of the 12 or so guys drafted by the NFL.

Hard to unilaterally blame the kids, especially without knowing what they're told when being recruited.


don't you WANT a kid who thinks he should start and thinks he's going to the NFL? I'd shy away from any kid that thinks "well, I'm just shooting to be a back up for a college team.. you know, few snaps in garbage time, wave in the signals and then go to grad school".. sure, for most that's a reality... but you shouldn't be setting your bar that low.

_________________
Image
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:06 pm 
Offline
Breaker Level

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:14 am
Posts: 320
Location: East Greenwich, RI
The Advocate ...

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... af32a.html

nothing really new here, as reported on recruiting forum ... we have offered another QB scholarship.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:19 pm 
Offline
Coach Level

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:05 pm
Posts: 1700
I believe Tulane offered Jalen Hurts three years ago. C'mon Down


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:38 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Posts: 20760
Location: Cincinnati, OH
doc wrote:
I believe Tulane offered Jalen Hurts three years ago. C'mon Down

That would open some eyes, wouldn't it?

Good to hear from you doc, hope all is well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:03 pm 
Offline
Emerald Circle

Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm
Posts: 10035
Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:
MattK wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.


It seems that the majority of this is that 300 kids think they should have 130 starting QB spots. and most of those 300 think they're going to the NFL. So, once they're not the starter at the school they originally chose, they try to find another school where they will be the starter. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of planning for the future when you're not one of the 12 or so guys drafted by the NFL.

Hard to unilaterally blame the kids, especially without knowing what they're told when being recruited.


don't you WANT a kid who thinks he should start and thinks he's going to the NFL? I'd shy away from any kid that thinks "well, I'm just shooting to be a back up for a college team.. you know, few snaps in garbage time, wave in the signals and then go to grad school".. sure, for most that's a reality... but you shouldn't be setting your bar that low.

Agreed


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sprout1550 and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group