All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: McClain gone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:39 pm 
Emerald Circle

" 1m1 minute ago
More
I have officially transferred from Tulane . I am back open for recruitment"

(this is Khalil McClain)

They need to get Scott (or call back Cuiellette)

Post subject: Re: McClain gone
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:46 pm 
Breaker Level

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm 
President's Circle

Wow. I wonder what precipitated this move? Kind of puts us in a bind, yes? Three QBs on the roster? One is a freshman.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:52 pm 
Regent's Circle

I'll take it at face value. He must think Scott is coming.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:02 pm 
Breaker Level

Baywave1 wrote:

Unfortunately I'm less optimistic than him.

There could be any number of reasons for this that don't include our QB depth. I wish him well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:09 pm 
Breaker Level

Saintgreenie wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

There could be any number of reasons for this that don't include our QB depth. I wish him well.

To clarify, I do still think we have a shot at Scott, but I'm certainly not confident enough to make a huge life decision based on him coming here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:50 pm 
Navigator Level

Saintgreenie wrote:
Saintgreenie wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:

To clarify, I do still think we have a shot at Scott, but I'm certainly not confident enough to make a huge life decision based on him coming here.

Mizzo QB is returning

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 am 
Breaker Level

That's definitely a plus in our favor. I guess we'll know for sure his decision on us soon (officially has until the 19th to enroll I believe).

FWIW, we also offered QB Riley Smith out of FL yesterday (don't know a ton about him other than a ton of non-P5 offers; highlights remind me a lot of Banks based on eye test).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:40 am 
Emerald Circle

Baywave1 wrote:

There's been rumors of this for a while over on Rivals. I can't imagine it has anything to do with Scott...you couldn't ask for a more wide open depth chart.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 am 
Emerald Circle

If you go back and listen to FTW's interview with Graf from before our opening game this past season, it sounded like WF was very high on McClain, that he'd be next in line after Banks, and that he was only third string this year due to lack of experience. "Heir apparent", if you will. While it's possible that his position with WF declined over the course of the year (perhaps he showed he has some limitations not seen in preseason), the timing of this announcement strikes me as him knowing something that we don't, perhaps about Scott's plans. Personally, I'm not expecting us to get Scott, but why else would McClain's announcement happen now and not several weeks ago? Another angle: did first semester grades just come back?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:58 am 
Emerald Circle

I had high hopes for McClain, have to wonder what happened.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm 
Coach Level

Does Ledford go back to QB if we don't pick up another one now?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:25 pm 
President's Circle

I think the pecking order would be Banks, Daniels, Ledford, and Hurst until we add a signature or two. QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:28 pm 
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote:
I think the pecking order would be Banks, Daniels, Ledford, and Hurst until we add a signature or two. QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.

I am not for the without limitations. I would argue that perhaps they should get an extra transfer red-shirt year on top of red-shirt year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:29 pm 
Emerald Circle

There is also Miles Lapeyere as a walk-on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:41 pm 
Emerald Circle

Rotorooter wrote:
Wow. I wonder what precipitated this move? Kind of puts us in a bind, yes? Three QBs on the roster? One is a freshman.

Banks and Daniels (incoming FR)...who else on scholarship?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:49 pm 
Emerald Circle

Ledford is on scholarship, he is called a QB on the roster. He is almost certainly going to line up there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 pm 
Emerald Circle

long green wrote:
Ledford is on scholarship, he is called a QB on the roster. He is almost certainly going to line up there.

This is all pretty insane, especially if we don't land Scott or the equivalent.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:20 pm 
Coach Level

tjtlja wrote:
QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.

It seems that the majority of this is that 300 kids think they should have 130 starting QB spots. and most of those 300 think they're going to the NFL. So, once they're not the starter at the school they originally chose, they try to find another school where they will be the starter. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of planning for the future when you're not one of the 12 or so guys drafted by the NFL.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:24 pm 
Emerald Circle

MattK wrote:
tjtlja wrote:
QB transfers are definitely on the uptick. Between playing time, coaching changes, school, and other reasons, transferring is evolving into its own little recruiting niche. Can’t blame the kids in most instances and with coaching changes, transferring should be available without any limitations.

It seems that the majority of this is that 300 kids think they should have 130 starting QB spots. and most of those 300 think they're going to the NFL. So, once they're not the starter at the school they originally chose, they try to find another school where they will be the starter. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of planning for the future when you're not one of the 12 or so guys drafted by the NFL.

Hard to unilaterally blame the kids, especially without knowing what they're told when being recruited.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 pm 
Regent's Circle

ml wave wrote:
MattK wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

Hard to unilaterally blame the kids, especially without knowing what they're told when being recruited.

don't you WANT a kid who thinks he should start and thinks he's going to the NFL? I'd shy away from any kid that thinks "well, I'm just shooting to be a back up for a college team.. you know, few snaps in garbage time, wave in the signals and then go to grad school".. sure, for most that's a reality... but you shouldn't be setting your bar that low.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:06 pm 
Breaker Level

The Advocate ...

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/ ... af32a.html

nothing really new here, as reported on recruiting forum ... we have offered another QB scholarship.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:19 pm 
Coach Level

I believe Tulane offered Jalen Hurts three years ago. C'mon Down

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:38 pm 
Emerald Circle

doc wrote:
I believe Tulane offered Jalen Hurts three years ago. C'mon Down

That would open some eyes, wouldn't it?

Good to hear from you doc, hope all is well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:03 pm 
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote:
ml wave wrote:
MattK wrote:
tjtlja wrote:

don't you WANT a kid who thinks he should start and thinks he's going to the NFL? I'd shy away from any kid that thinks "well, I'm just shooting to be a back up for a college team.. you know, few snaps in garbage time, wave in the signals and then go to grad school".. sure, for most that's a reality... but you shouldn't be setting your bar that low.

Agreed